Travel vs. Truck - Nathan's Grand ExPoordition

One afternoon a few weeks ago Scott Brady approached me in the shop at the Expeditions West head quarters and proposed to me an idea he had. “What do you think about a super simple, super basic expedition, on a super limited truck and travel budget, we could call it the Expoordition, or something like that” he said with a smile. “And your truck would be perfect for it.”

Well he was talking to the right guy. My travel budget definitely is limited (usually zero balance in that fund) and my truck definitely basic (stock except for repair items and few goodies acquired through credit card splurges and work trades).

Here is the plan:

The idea is “Travel vs. Truck”. The idea is adventure. The idea is to experience as much as possible, on the smallest budget possible. However, it is also important to me to be as prepared as possible (I guess that is the aviator in me), and to do it with the means I have available. Some means must be available, that part is obvious. I need to have a 4x4 for the remote locations I want to visit. I want to carry my mountain bike. And I need to have the basic tools to complete the trip. But I don’t want to completely blow my savings, or max my credit cards.

Enter me:

I am a part time student and some how hold a full and part time job. I have college loans. I have credit card debt. I pay rent. I also have a 1995 Toyota 4Runner, a descent mountain bike, an old pair of snow skis, a backpack, and the will to go… “over land”.

Enter Cossette:

Cossette is a 1995 Second Generation Toyota 4Runner Limited, 5spd, 3.0 liter, four wheel drive I paid $3,600.00 for. She had 165,000 miles, balding tires, and several leaks. But her lines were straight, frame sound, and interior clean. All I really wanted was a Toyota with four-wheel drive and a manual transmission.

Over time I have stopped all her leaks minus one, upgraded her saggy springs and tired shocks, shod her in new tires and splurged on a few goodies like off road driving lights. My goal is to show how a inexpensive truck (namely 2nd Gen 4Runners/ Hilux’s and Pickups) can be transformed into a world exploration vehicle, while retaining simplicity, functionality, and most importantly, maintaining a budget.

Enter the ExPoordition:

Times are tight, I’m not loaded, I but with some discipline, encouragement, and time off from work, I have the opportunity to embark on my first solo overland journey. I have a $600.00 travel budget and about 4 weeks to burn. August is a slow time for my primary employer so a leave of absence is actually encouraged. I have enough personal leave and savings to pay my bills while I’m gone. The destination is Northern Arizona, Utah, Colorado, and Maybe Northern New Mexico. I plan on making appearances at the Outdoor Retailers Show in Salt Lake City and at the Land Rover National Rally in Leadville CO. Exploration is the goal. I will be bringing my bike, my tele skis, what ever I need to camp for a month, a borrowed camera, and some sort of computer to update the trip. I will be pinging my location via a borrowed SPOT device and posting updates in the In Progress Expeditions section of the forum.

Enter the Expedition Portal Community:

I invite all of you to provide your wisdom and insight as I explore the best way to do this. How should I prepare myself and the truck? What should I bring? Where should I go? What sounds like fun to you?

Let me know what you think, and if you want join up with me somewhere.

Adventure on.:smiley_drive:

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Sounds fun. Your destinations look good. One idea: Be sure to stop by the airport in Leadville. Afterwards, if the pass is open, drive over to Aspen. Lots of good hiking off of HWY 82. Continue on to Glenwood Springs for a soak in the giant hot spring/pool. If you want, you could visit 5 cool airports in a day (Leadville, Aspen, Glenwood Springs, Rifle and Grand Junction). Have a great trip!

For the record, I think many of us here did similar trips during our school days/daze. For me it was a 1994 Toyota 4x4 pickup, no credit card, no debt (no money either) and a snowboard. Otherwise we were identical.:)

Last edited:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

Awesome Nathan!.....:elkgrin::victory::ylsmoke:

And Welcome to ExPo....!

Keep Going!:costumed-smiley-007

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Great idea and have fun!
I know that I went way way over the top spending money to build my rig quickly in order to make up for what I didn't know :)
As I look back much of that money would have been better spent going out and seeing what I really needed vs what I "thought" I needed.

If I had to do it all over again I would still go with a fridge, a battery booster pack instead of 2nd battery, cheap air compressor (as long as it is just me not a group of people), and a sleep in the rig setup if I was traveling solo.

I doubt you will go on crazy tough trails or way off the know routes as a solo traveler so you will be fine without a crazy nav setup. And the spot will let us come to your rescue if needed.

Have fun, take pics and tell us all about it when you get back.

RonL

Adventurer
Sounds like fun.....
Watch your cash carefully, $600 is only $21.43 a day for 28 days. Look for free camping sites take a good cooler with you.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
A trip after my own heart! Other than a few more goodies, I'm still rolling this way 20 years after starting...

When, more or less, do you expect to hit certain places? Sounds like an extended Four Corners trip.

Leadville MTB 100 is Aug 15, which would be fun (I think) to watch.

I would consider Toroweap for a couple of nights, Paradox Valley, the Alpine Loop. Maybe ride the Silverton-Durango or Cumbres-Toltec trains. Probably visit the Great Sand Dunes. Maybe with this much time you could make it as far north as Flaming Gorge or Dinosaur NM.

Ride around Telluride, Grand Junction, Fruita, Crested Butte if you've never. You could spend a week riding around Crusty Butt alone easy.

Look for skiing in the couloirs in the San Juans, some of the permanent snowfields along the Divide from west of Boulder down thru Monarch. Depending on how dedicated you are there are places to be found into August. If you want some ideas let me know. Prep to hike for a while to get the goods.

We'll keep an eye open for when you make it into CO, try and hook up for a ride or something.

cowboy63645

Adventurer
That sounds like an awesome trip and cant wait to see some pictures and hear the report of what you encountered, and what. if anything. you would have changed about your gear, the experiance, or the trip in general.

Stoked!

Thanks so much for the replies and suggestions! My smile just got bigger and bigger as I read! I admit I'm a little overwhelmed with were to go, and what to try and see and do, but I grateful some ideas.

DaveInDenver, I'd love to meet for a ride I'll try get hold of you as I get closer.

:wings:

ExPoordition Update - How would you all prepare for an ExPoordition.

ExPoorditions have limited resources. If too much money is spent on the vehicles, gear, etc thats less time to travel. What are the bare bones, essential items an exploration truck should/must have to overland for a month? What are the bare bones, essential items a person must bring to be safe, prepared and as comfortable as possible?

I have my ideas, but what would you all suggest?

Here is the progress I'v made to accomplish this -

I haven't gotten much past deciding what things my truck must have. My truck philosophy for this trip is GET THINGS REPAIRED, get things as reliable as possible. But a few extras will also be necessary, like on board air and electrical power for a computer and chargers, etc.

- Also the history, and long term plan for my truck, and write ups will be posted in more detail in the Toyota vehicle section of the forum -

Here is what I'v acquired so far -

1. A new custom built drive shaft from Tom Wood (ironically quite a bit cheaper than Toyota OEM).
2.ARB Compressor
3.OEM Idler Arm
4.OEM parking brake cable
5.Inverter
6.12v outlet
7.Oddessey Battery
9. Rear pinon seal
10.Light Force harness to match existing Light Force lights
11.New wiring - a "do it once" approach to wiring up a the driving light harness, compressor, inverter, 12v outlets, future rear locker?, and future extra back up lights?. These are the most important things.

If I have time and if they arrive before I leave I hope to get these parts installed as well. We'll see.
1.OEM Tranny back up indicator switch
2.OEM Tie rod assemblies
3.OEM CV shafts

An A-arm truss brace is at the top of this list but the one I wanted from Sonoran Steel won't be available in time. Soon though.

Right now I'm wrestling with the wiring. Pictures to follow soon.

Later I'll comment on what sleeping, and food prep arrangements I'm going to try and what essential/ and non-essential items I'll bring to make my truck home away from home.

Insert you opinions and input here:

Thanks

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• L1030297.jpg
    L1030297.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 6,303
  • L1030299.jpg
    L1030299.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 6,131
  • L1030269.jpg
    L1030269.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 6,093
  • L1030272.jpg
    L1030272.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 181
  • L1030277.jpg
    L1030277.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 6,076
  • L1030295.jpg
    L1030295.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 6,088
  • L1030286.jpg
    L1030286.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 6,060
  • L1030293.jpg
    L1030293.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 6,015
  • L1030294.jpg
    L1030294.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 6,001
  • L1030288.jpg
    L1030288.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 6,061
Last edited:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Honestly you are staying in North America and you are not talking about traveling huge distances.
I would get a SPOT Global Messenger and post up a rough route asking if you can put in people along it in case you need help.
Then I would get a battery booster pack instead of a 2nd battery in case you run things dead.
Other than that, look over your hoses, brakes, belts, and grease everything that can be greased.
That is it for the truck.

Keep your camp setup to sleep inside and simple stove/kitchen.
A nice chair and tarp/poles to make you some shade.
Plenty of water for drinking, hygiene and emergencies.
Basic maps & compass.
Gas it up and go.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Safety is number one, so tires come to mind immediately.

The ability to solve minor on the road or trail emergencies, oil leaks, hose leaks, tools, tire repair kits etc.

What ever you need to make your trip comfortable for you.

Food, water, first aid supplies.

If the truck has been well maintained in the past then all the rest is gravy.

The above list would be expanded for trips outside the USA & Canada

ExPoordition - Burning the midnight oil...

Its 0130 am and I'm still at the shop trying to get as much done before I hope to leave tomorrow.

I'm beat and tired of working on my truck.

Today I learned that pulling seals (rear pinion in this case) is easier than getting them in. I fought the new seal forever, cursing all the way, trying not to damage it but get it in! Tip - don't use huge rubber mallet, small hammer with rubber and plastic heads works better.

Here is a link to a super helpful write up for anybody with a leaky pinion seal.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/PinionSeal/index.html

The interior when back in the truck pretty easy. While I was back there I replaced the tiny lamp that lights up the back of my climate controls. Autozone 1.2w instead of OEM 1.4w seems to work fine. I'm also scheming on the coolest way to have a accessible hand gun mount with in reach of the drivers seat. Foam in the center consul is my current idea.

Anybody got any cool hand gun mounting options?

Drive shaft went in pretty easy, but the OEM bolts are a hair too short. I'm gonna run them anyway and keep and eye on them the lock washers should keep them tight. I have some other "issues" with the drive shaft and install I'll share later w/ photos.

I have also installed a roof rack in an unconventional way to reduce it's aerodynamic profile, as well as too try and "clean" up the lines of the truck. I'll show this too when I get some photos up.

For now, I'm beat, the shop is a disaster, I'm not packed, and UPS didn't bring my idler and parking brake cable. Tomorrow is gonna be a busy day if I'm gonna leave on time to make to Salt Lake by Thursday night!

:eek:

Scott Brady

Founder
Anybody got any cool hand gun mounting options?

I am not a fan of mounting a firearm in the vehicle. In AZ, with the CCW, I just keep the weapon on my person. If you do not have the CCW, then the firearm cannot be loaded, and within access of the driver anyways. For your situation, one of those cubbies in the back would be ideal for storage, while still being easy to access in camp mode.

Note: I combined the two threads into one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne