$60,000 to spend?

Saline

Adventurer
I wanted a RB initially because I was worried about departure angle. The used SMB we happened upon was an EB and we went for it. So far I have not dragged the tail on anything yet. We have 315's on it.
Bottom line for me is that the added 22" of space is well worth it.
Also of note that weighing in at 10,960lbs ( holy crap) we are still averaging 15 mpg.

Last edited:

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Oh Man...I love these questions!

If I had $60k to spend I'd probably go find a $25k F550 Diesel 4x4 as a base. The bed would get ripped off and on would go a custom aluminum framed / composite skinned camper box (Think EarthRoamer). The camper box could be built for probably $20k with basic systems. I'd then have $15k to spend on SRW upgrades, tires, armor, storage, and other fancy business. I'm afraid I'd abandon the van concept all together if given the option as they run out of space rather quickly when you start adding people (and their gear) to the fun.

Spence

Icebox

Observer
All of these options seem good. All have advantages as well as drawbacks. Now for a big question: Do you plan on or will you ever need to tow? There is a huge advantage in driving a vehicle that will tow your misc. quiver of toys.
Jeeps/Buggies/Boats/fillintheblanks..... that's the reason that we got what we got. Boat-and-a-Jeep. The cool part is kinda like climbing Everest. Think: Cool comfortable base camp, capable and light exploration rig, beat it till you break it, and tow the carnage home. Well maybe that was a little too dramatic but you get the idea. I used to flat tow my old CJ5 and then my CJ7 with my old 79 E250 Pathfinder 4wd. It had a 460/carb and got 9 mpg. My 88 gets double that and, thanks to the power mods, actually pulls hills better.
Works great as a commuter/backup when the others are down, as well as a nice private place to spend your lunch break. To me, the choice was obvious.
I-gotta-tow-stuff. Hope this helps, good luck.

Carl

Observer
Seems like when you compare, (at this cost) a quality solution, the SMB in late model with diesel is tough to beat. Somewhat reliable, easy to fix, etc....
I would want something I could tow a boat, motorcycle, with as well.

jammyauto

Adventurer
I own both a syncro and a SMB, Maybe this is just a case "wandering eyes" but after seeing the 4x4 sprinter at the EXPO I wish I could start over again. That sprinter was really sweet IMHO. European body quality, very comfortable to drive and nice ride. Pretty good fuel economy as well. Kind of a "modern" syncro.

Heres my take

Sportsmobile Pros
Tows anything
Excellent 4x4 components on SMB 4x4
Very capable off road for 10k lb truck
Penthouse top is very spacious vs. westy
Modern vehicle (airbags, warranty etc)
very good resale for about 10 yrs.
initial quality good compared to american rv standards

Sportsmobile Cons
poor ride quality
parts and service almost non existant outside USA
Questionable drivetrain reliability
Diesel engine is vey loud compared to Chevy, Sprinter etc.
Overall weight
Cab comfort and floor height (entry/exit)
interior floor to cieling height could be better

VW Pros
Handleing and ride quality
driver comfort
body quality and interior quality
Worldwide parts and service
interior space vs vehicle size
weight
collectable status, prices are stable with some appreciation

VW Cons
Age requires constant repair, no exceptions
lack of modern safety systems
A/C system (camper)
underpowered

I would not reccomend a syncro to someone who does not want to be very hands on as a vehicle to travel long distances with. My VW is in very nice condition yet problems can pop up at anytime. You need to be able to fix things to live with a vw and be happy with it. THat being said my syncro is part of my "permanate" fleet. I have no plans to ever sell it. It's got soul and I enjoy driving it far more than driving my sportsmobile.
The sportsmobile is bigger (EB), carries more, has nice AC system, better range etc. It's my current family camper. With 2 kids and 2 german shepards the VW is just a little to small for us and all our stuff. For shorter trips by myself or just me and my wife we perfer the syncro. It's quiet, more manuverable and more comfortable. It's also less pretentious.
I must also add here that I'vew been suprised by how less than reliable my SMB has turned out to be. It's been to the dealer 4 times for major repair as well as two failures on "the trail" due to the SMB 4x4 system. All this in under 20k miles since new.
My SMB is pad off and my plan is to keep it for a few more years. I've got 2 daughters (10 and 12 yrs) who will only want to camp with us for a couple more years. After that the SMB is gone.
I'm allready thining about the next camper. Sprinter, Fuso or ? One things for sure it will be built for more "global" travel and less "wild west off-road" like the SMB.

spencyg

This Space For Rent
Very interesting points Seth. It isn't every day you get the persepctive of somebody who has experienced both sides of the fence and comes back saying that neither side necessarily has lush green grass. I have thought of my own camper as being too small once we build the family up...do you find the SMB is at least of adequate size for a family of 4+2? Does your layout provide sleeping for everybody inside, or do the girls prefer the tent?

Spence

jammyauto

Adventurer
The SMB is adequate size for the whole family for our needs. The most time we've ever spent together in the van is 2 weeks. The longer we stay in the van it seems the smaller it gets. Our current sleeping arrangement is the girls sleep in the penthouse and my wife and I sleep downstairs. I'm currently considering a custom off road trailer that would carry our 14ft RIB boat and have a frame around it that would mount a RTT on top for the girls. We would all enjoy a little more privacy.

Carl

Observer
sprinter

I am really struggling to like the look of a sprinter! A real bad looking van which looks like a delivery truck. If a little lift, larger tires, etc.... it may look better. I do like the platform though. My last VW was an 87 weekender, which was under powered, less than reliable, no syncro. I also hear that the westfalia is smaller, and to get one in "like new" shape you are at cost of a 2-3 year old SMB?

Being on the east coast, I rarely see either for sale which is also causing a slow decision.

any other feedback is welcome!

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I was hoping to be able to afford an All Rad someday. I figured that by the time (if ever) I outgrow the Astro's space, they would actually be available in N.A.

Personally, its the only Sprinter I like.

L_4xvg11_6b.jpg

081252e9a606a42295439800eb793f51_2.jpg

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
..any other feedback is welcome!
Want your camper medium or rare? Chalets & Casa Grandes are under $10 grand for the top end so far, the latest eBay one went for $9,900, beating the previous sale to a non-dealer record by a few hundred dollars. Put a little more money into one at that level to make it 'perfect', and you still have a lot of leftover budget money. 49 of 'em in various shape for sale in our 'current list' around the country.

And they do tow things if you beef up the suspension a bit.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles