$60,000 to spend?

Carl

Observer
Which option would you pick and why for camping, exploring, family use, with four wheel drive?

Used Sportsmobile - guessing a few year old, ideally diesel. My thoughts are that this vehicle is unique looking, can go most anywhere I'd want, but is "large" to drive and being a ford, maybe not the best ride quality, heavy, etc....

Syncro Westy - Hard for me to spend 60k on a 20 yr volkswagen, but they are unique, but I would assume somewhat smaller inside? Maybe in some respects less reliable than SMB?

Four wheel camper on truck - Probably a real useful combination, but not as unique, looks not as good, need to get out of front to get in back?

Any input on these would be appreciated!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Tough decision... Do you want something turn key? Or something you can build up your own way?

Carl

Observer
Currently I have an 04 modified tacoma dbl cab as work/play truck. Daily driver is a Landrover LR3 which is also family vehicle for trips, vacation, etc...

My concern with SMB is that it would not be nearly as good daily driver for my back road 25 mile commute. Fine for family trips though.

What I was thinking was that if I did get SMB which is currently my first choice, I'd sell the Landrover, maybe the tacoma, and get comfortable daily driver like an Audi A-6.

Reservation with SMB is that it appears heavy, slow, poor on gas, and less than ideal for daily driving, better for vacations, trips, etc...

Seems like the price of a loaded used SMB comes somewhat close to a new one? 90-100k new, and many around 70-80k used? This makes for a tough decision in my mind which is why I am really giving thought and getting input from those who've done it!

Carl

Observer
Just noticed you site U-Joint!

The part I'm not confident in would be the camper part of a SMB, not so much the drive train, shocks, etc.... which is stuff I've done. This is why I was leaning toward a clean used SMB maybe 2005 or newer?

thoughts?

vanderpooch

Authentic Adventurer
I was in the exact same place you are six months ago. I wore out the four wheel camper, GoWesty and PO sportsmobile websites until I finally bought an 85 Weekender vanagon westy. had it painted, converted to syncro and a jetta 2.0 aba motor conversion done for $17,500 total. while we were there I added about 10k in parts and it is essentially a brand new van. It has a rear locker and a decoupler to switch from 2-4wd. new rims, tires, custom swing bumpers, tinted windows, recarro seats and recovered rear seats and i'm right at 30 grand. I am building the van for two runs a year 1 to central mexico whitewater kayaking and one to baja to chase waves plus many, many family weeknd trips. I am totally confident in my rig and the support between the guys that did the syncro and engine conversion as well as the 4 big vanagon vendors and the samba forums I feel like I just bought it off the lot! My gas is around 20 miles a gallon and although I use a big F- 250 for work as my DD I can do 12-14 hours straight in the saddle of the recarro seats and still be very comf.
The jetta conversion gives almost the same torque that the original waterboxer engines did but gaines a lot of horse power and makes it a great freeway flyer! loaded down i can still pull 75 in the left lane and no worries.
PM me if you want to talk more about it or if you would like some pics.
Cheers!

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Just noticed you site U-Joint!

The part I'm not confident in would be the camper part of a SMB, not so much the drive train, shocks, etc.... which is stuff I've done. This is why I was leaning toward a clean used SMB maybe 2005 or newer?

thoughts?

I would recommend to get behind the wheel of a SMB, and see how it feels to you. I use my van as a daily driver, but I don't really have a choice!

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
Our SMB is not our daily driver but after one year and 30,000 miles of adventure I can honestly say that it is a pleasure to drive and everything is in top shape. I know there are many options out there in terms of rigs, but for us, it is the only way to go.

497319148_5hvgi-L.jpg

502335116_T89Wi-L.jpg

385518851_HNSUF-L.jpg

http://blackeye.smugmug.com/gallery/5514475_J85qK#337501966_4H7XS

All the best in whatever you select!

Carl

Observer
thanks for feedback!

Curious how big the interior of a Westy is vs. the SMB, especially if you have the extended body? I am 6'5" tall, so any extra height inside is nice.

I looked into the Westy option with syncro in the 30-70k range finished. I would question the benefit of having a 05 or newer SMB vs 20 year old westy?

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Since you asked, I would get the GoWesty for $30k (or build a similar Astro since you've used the word "unique" twice already) , a used Gasgas 450fse dual sport for $4500, and put the rest down on an '06 Z06 Vette.

Since you asked...:sombrero:

Saline

Adventurer
We bought an 04 SMB EB 50 4x4 last March for your price range. We love it! It has been great. Right now we are on day 17 of a month long road trip.

Carl

Observer
EB or not?

Give me some idea of space in your van? with top up what is approx stand up room?

length of upper and lower bed approx?

how does this compare to a Westy?

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Isn't there that guy Jimmyjam or Jam or ? that has an SMB and a Vanagon syncro. I think he's works on Westys also. Point being, he seems like a good guy to compare/contrast.

trailsurfer

Explorer
Give me some idea of space in your van? with top up what is approx stand up room?

length of upper and lower bed approx?

how does this compare to a Westy?

EB was and would be my choice again. I like having the extra 2 feet (ish). I think the official standup room with the top up is 6'9". I am 6'2" and have not even thought about the height.

No comparison with a Westy for interior space. Beds have got to be in the 78 inch range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior