New Waeco CoolFreeze CF-40

TexGX

Explorer
Hello All,

I have just purchased my first Portable Fridge. It is the new older model Waeco CF-40 with the LED display. I think it is the perfect size for me and I really like the looks of it. I do want to make sure it is running right. Here are a few questions:

1. I have it plugged into 110v in my house and it is getting cold and even freezing, but the LED light has never turned yellow indicating it has reached the desired temp. Do others that have this type display know if this is a problem or something normal?

I figured this one out. I thought the main LED changed color, but it is only the power button LED. I will start reading the manual slower.

2. I put a few frozen items in the fridge and tried to freeze a water bottle. I set it on the lowest temp and hit the turbo button. How long should it take the water to freeze? I have had the bottle in there for a few hours and it is not completly frozen.

3. Any other things I need to know or look at regarding a new fridge?

Thanks for any help,

TexGX

Last edited:

TexGX

Explorer
sovereign,

I have been testing mine over the last few days and it works great. I found this cheap wireless temp monitor at wal-mart so I can tell the exact temp. I am ready to try it out in the field soon. I need to install a DC power power source in the cargo area of my GX. I have a 110AC plug, but want to hook it up to DC.

TexGX

Attachments

• PICT0302.JPG
    PICT0302.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 140

TexGX

Explorer
Yesterday it was 111 in Phoenix. I needed to transport some icecream and decieded to give the Waeco a try. I plug it in and within about 30min the temp read 17. I had the icecream in there for about 3 hrs and everything went great. I am really going to like this thing.

TexGX

TexGX

Explorer
sovereign,

I had to replace my battery due to the heat and the fact it was 5 years old. I went with the DH PT-5. It was the only one that would work in my truck with out changing the conections. I am curious on why you think the PT-5 will not last in your truck? Is there something I need to be worried about?

TexGX

xpdishn

Adventurer
We've got the same unit - CF40 - since April. We've fully tested it on two week long trips. One was along the Arizona Strip, the north rim of the Grand Canyon in 90-100 degree temps. The fridge worked excellent. It's amazing how much food they hold. Great fridge.

TexGX

Explorer
sovereign,

I plan on going to a dual set up at some point. I do have a small solar panel that I plug in to add power while the car is not running. Your set up looks great, do you have more details?

The wife used the fridge for a Costco run today and she is hooked. She loved not having to race home.

TexGX

TexGX

Explorer
I made a trip to Sedona this weekend and the fridge worked great. It was nice to get back to the truck and have ice cold refreshment. I am going to use the heck out of this thing.

TexGX

TexGX

Explorer
Chriscanoe,

The link that sovereign posted helped. I also could not find any real reason that the others were that much better for the increase in price. I like the look and size of the Waeco. So far it has worked great.

TexGX

esh

Explorer
I've had a CF-40 for a couple months (camping world special ordered). Insulating bag is only $50, a lot less than the other brands. Worked great in 90-95 degree weather. I don't have dual batteries yet and just bumped it up to 4 or 5 before I stopped for the night. Overnight without running it kept things cold all night and the temps got down quickly when I started it up in the morning.

Great product, and I'm only into it and the bag for about $600.

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
These work a LOT better with the cover especially outdoors.

I have 2 Waecos,a CF80 and a CF50. The 80 is getting repaired after it stopped cycling off when it was cold enough.
It can freeze about 8-10 litres of water in about 12 hrs or less in ideal conditions.
Im not sure how old the 80 is ,I got it with a slide on camper
The 50 is a lot newer and works great but I like the 80 for its size and you never have to rummage through the fridge looking for something.
The 80 is has lower sides but more "floor space" so to speak although it uses the same compressor as the 50

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
This is a serious question!:sombrero: I'm not concerned with the sealed enclosure, but the ported box... kicks pretty hard. Is there any chance of anything in the Waeco rattling loose? I imagine that since it is designed for offroad use, etc. it can take it, but...

They have a reputation in oz of being able to handle the worst roads BUT like all fridges they should be tied down on a piece of carpet etc.
They will not last if they can bounce;)

The more ventilation around the vents,the more efficient they are.
I wouldnt use mine in that position next to the boom box:ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles