My SAS Mazda B2600 Diesel Expedition project

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
My Mazda B2600i Diesel Expedition project

I just purchased a 89 Mazda B2600i ext cab 4x4 with 34k origional miles and near mint condition. I'm going to build this truck up expedition style to take on the TransAmerica Trail (TAT) next summer. I may even do the 4D56 turbo diesel swap, it is a straight up bolt in! :sombrero:

I was going to take this trip in my Grand Vitara but the idea of a popup style camper in the bed sounds much better than a tent or hotel!

562161899_Zp8o7-M.jpg

562155063_QggrY-M.jpg

560453016_Fkjmm-M.jpg

Last edited:

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
Congrats

I had a '86 4x2, one of my favorite trucks... it was totaled in a snowy accident when a truck (not me) went through a stop sign backwards.

I think that truck would have gone on forever. I looked for a 4x4, but wanted the Mazda version, not the later Ford rebadge.

Your trip also sounds great!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Gotta love the 80's and their red interiors....:rolleyes:

That is an exceptionally clean truck. Those had the same drivetrain as the Ford Rangers, right? Maybe that was later than '89... I recall my Dad had a few B2000's for work trucks in the mid 80's and they were reliable as heck.

Having seen some of your other work on here, I'm anxious to see what you do to this one. I hope you keep the "I love the 80's" pinstripes.

What's the engine you're refering to from? A Suzuki motor?

Congrats on the new truck. Good find! :smiley_drive:

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
The Ranger stuff didn't come along untill 94.

The Mitsubishi 4D56 motors came in Delca's and Pajaros. The earlier 4D55 came to the US in the Mighty Max, Ram D50 and 86-87 Rangers.

astateofmike

Observer
IF that engine is good, I say leave it. I had a 4x2 b2200 that had well into 250k miles when it was replaced, still getting high 20's mpg...

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
WOW!
That is one clean example of a truck!

[hijack]
The Ranger stuff didn't come along untill 94.

The Mitsubishi 4D56 motors came in Delca's and Pajaros. The earlier 4D55 came to the US in the Mighty Max, Ram D50 and 86-87 Rangers.
Any idea if the 4D56 head bolts onto a 4D55 and works? I've got a line on a 2WD truck with a '55 that needs a cylinder head. Have pondered swapping it into my '84 Yota.[/hijack]

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
WOW!
That is one clean example of a truck!

[hijack]
Any idea if the 4D56 head bolts onto a 4D55 and works? I've got a line on a 2WD truck with a '55 that needs a cylinder head. Have pondered swapping it into my '84 Yota.[/hijack]

Actually they do, the motors are basically the same. The 56 has a bit more power and reliability. Have you looked at the Toyota diesel motors that will bolt into your truck?

SGV

Adventurer
That's a really good looking truck. Funny thing. Today I happened to walk by a black one.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
That thing looks like it traveled through time to get here... It's like NEW!!!!!!!! Great find, and I love the sound of a bolt-in TD swap. What are the specs on the Diesel and where does it come from??? Neat build, can't wait to see it go down.

EDIT: I see the question has already been answered. If it's a Mitsu motor I say you're in good hands. If it's anything like their regualr gas motors its' bound to be more then reliable.

Cheers

Dave

deadbeat son

Explorer
I had an 87 B2000 reg cab 2wd, and that truck was ultra-reliable until I got t-boned by a Ford Tempo. It was so long ago I forgot I even owned it until I saw the photos of your interior and had deja vu (even though mine was grey cloth).

Although the stock engine was pretty peppy in the flatlands of Kansas where I grew up, I think if you're going to install a pop-up you'll want something with a bit more grunt to help carry the load. Maybe the Mitsubishi diesel you've mentioned fits the bill. I once drove an Isuzu P'up Spacecab with the turbo diesel, and it was plenty powerful for that little truck. My dad had a non-turbo P'up and although it towed well, it had difficulty getting out of its own way.

Congrats, good luck, and great find!

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
The motor in mine is the 2.6L EFI. It's actually pretty powerful, I've been towing my tractor and motorcycles with it the last few weeks. It has way more power than my old 22RE Toyota. I'm just more of a diesel guy.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
...It has way more power than my old 22RE Toyota. I'm just more of a diesel guy.
Whoa buddy... Now I'm angry... My 22RE is SO POWERFUL... oh wait, no, it's not... But it sure isa reliable little motor. I hear you though, had it been a direct bolt in to the 1KZ-T I would have one in my 4Runner. As it was I didn't like the sound of the 2L or 2LT-E nor do I think that VW swaps make much sence in trucks of this size. (Suzi's are fine, but there's alot more "truck" to my 4Runner then a Suzuki Samurai) I sure do wish I had a diesel though. Good luck on the swap, I can't wait to see this build.

Cheers

Dave

inked33

Adventurer
wow....that thing looks brand new. my first truck was actually a 4x2 b200 cant remember the exact year but it was from the 80s. that truck went forever and never let me down. im looking forward to seeing the build on this...

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Whoa buddy... Now I'm angry... My 22RE is SO POWERFUL... oh wait, no, it's not... But it sure isa reliable little motor. I hear you though, had it been a direct bolt in to the 1KZ-T I would have one in my 4Runner. As it was I didn't like the sound of the 2L or 2LT-E nor do I think that VW swaps make much sence in trucks of this size. (Suzi's are fine, but there's alot more "truck" to my 4Runner then a Suzuki Samurai) I sure do wish I had a diesel though. Good luck on the swap, I can't wait to see this build.

Cheers

Dave

What year is your 4-runner? I hear that the 2LT's do pretty well in the lighter first generation runners and are a bolt in.
I was actually looking for a Toyota to do a diesel swap when I ran across this Mazda.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles