EZ Lube Bearing Cap

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
Do they make different size dust caps for the EZ Lube bearings, and if so, where to get them? Possibly shorter ones, or low-profile of some sort? It's for a standard Dexter 3500# axle with electric brakes. Also, I haven't put this together yet-how much room do I actually need under the dust cap from the grease zerk? How tight can I go?

I had the axle built to spec, the builder upgraded to the EZ lube bearings for me as he thought they were a nice feature. I managed to find a set of matching Moab rims to match my '05 LJ Rubicon, then got a set of 1.25" spacers to get the rim to mate up to the 3500# brake drum hub, but now if I want to run the dust cap on the axle spindle deal, it won't fit under the wheel as it sticks out too far. If they make a shorter one, that would work great, then it would tuck in there nicely. Other option is to cut these down, then weld them back together low-profile style so they'll fit under the center cap. I could machine the rims out 1/8" or so and not run center caps on the trailer or spare, but that makes rotating the spare on the Jeep an asthetic issue as that one rim wouldn't accept a center cap any longer if I reamed it out 1/8" to fit the dust cap. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Best of Luck,

Mike

Eric06Rubi

Observer
Do they make different size dust caps for the EZ Lube bearings, and if so, where to get them? Possibly shorter ones, or low-profile of some sort? It's for a standard Dexter 3500# axle with electric brakes. Also, I haven't put this together yet-how much room do I actually need under the dust cap from the grease zerk? How tight can I go?

I had the axle built to spec, the builder upgraded to the EZ lube bearings for me as he thought they were a nice feature. I managed to find a set of matching Moab rims to match my '05 LJ Rubicon, then got a set of 1.25" spacers to get the rim to mate up to the 3500# brake drum hub, but now if I want to run the dust cap on the axle spindle deal, it won't fit under the wheel as it sticks out too far. If they make a shorter one, that would work great, then it would tuck in there nicely. Other option is to cut these down, then weld them back together low-profile style so they'll fit under the center cap. I could machine the rims out 1/8" or so and not run center caps on the trailer or spare, but that makes rotating the spare on the Jeep an asthetic issue as that one rim wouldn't accept a center cap any longer if I reamed it out 1/8" to fit the dust cap. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Best of Luck,

Mike

mike, on my small trailer, I just ditched the bearing buddys and opted for a regular dust cap. I found the buddys just lubed the outer bearing and left the inner dry as a bone. all that being said I just service my bearings maybe a little more often. but i'd rather be safe than stuck on the road side somewhere

just my 2 cents

eric

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
I found the buddys just lubed the outer bearing and left the inner dry as a bone.

eric
There is a big difference between E-Z Lube axles and Bearing Buddies. That's about like comparing a bicycle to a Land Rover.

I think the best source for an answer to your question would be to call Dexter. It sounds like the part you are referring to is what Dexter calls the "metal end cap." It's the equvalent of the dust cap on a standard axle and is open on the outer end where the rubber plug fits.

I suppose you could just use a standard dust cap if you could find a shorter one. If you found a really short one, just replace the zerk with a plug. When it comes time to grease the thing you would have to remove the cap and screw in a zerk, but it would accomplish your objective.

'05TJLWBRUBY

Adventurer
There is a big difference between E-Z Lube axles and Bearing Buddies. That's about like comparing a bicycle to a Land Rover.

I think the best source for an answer to your question would be to call Dexter. It sounds like the part you are referring to is what Dexter calls the "metal end cap." It's the equvalent of the dust cap on a standard axle and is open on the outer end where the rubber plug fits.

I suppose you could just use a standard dust cap if you could find a shorter one. If you found a really short one, just replace the zerk with a plug. When it comes time to grease the thing you would have to remove the cap and screw in a zerk, but it would accomplish your objective.

Thanks-you're exactly right on the part. Maybe I wasn't clear enough. Sorry about that.

I had a chance to do some test-fitting today and I'm afraid it isn't going to work. That cap is about as close as it's going to get, so I don't think even if they make a smaller one, that it would fit. The zerk for the EZ-Lube spindles is already recessed so replacing with a plug wouldn't gain enough to bother with. Good thought though-I had the same thought originally!

My plan now is to see if I can swap the 1.25" spacers I bought for some 1.5" spacers to get the rim out .25" further. I hate to do it, but it's necessary to make this work, and I can't mount the rims to the 3500# brake drum without them, so I guess an extra .25" won't hurt. I THINK I can trim about 1/4" off the inside of the center cap for the rim that snaps it in place-those little "tang" things, and cheat just enough clearance to make it all fit. It will be close, but it should work. If that doesn't do it, I'll have to "massage" the dust cap outter lip a bit to get the clearance needed. The lip extends about 3/16" beyond the rubber dust cap that could be flattened out a bit I think to buy what I need if the other mods don't do it. That for sure will. It will be hidden behind the rim so nobody will ever see what it looks like, and it's just a dust cap, so no biggie if need be.

Thanks for the info. Never realized it would be this much hassle to try and match rims from Jeep to trailer axle. Can't even burn in spring perches till I get the dumb thing together so the rest of the build is on hold till I get this worked out.

Thanks again,

Best of Luck,

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior