2nd Gen Sequoia as offroad rig and tow platform

skrypj

The Second Gen Sequoia is independent all 4 corners. Same stock ground clearance as the Expedition. More after market stuff for lift can be found for the Expedition vs the old 2nd gen Sequoia which is a tough one to find ways to modify at this point. The Toyota price definitely isn’t worth it if you want a trail rig.

The expedition early to mid yr 2019’s still had lots of negatives. Mid to late 2019 they were quietly updated with a bunch of nice needed changes. Like a cast aluminum oil pan not the plastic ABS pan etc.

Ford makes two versions of the Expedition. They make a SUV mini van version which is the standard format Expedition rated at 6000lbs max tow and only has part time AWD ie mini van version.

They make a very different version the max tow which gets a whole different gear set from their HD parts bin, different cooling system, different springs, two speed transfer case. Some yrs got elocker others got some kind of posi trac system on the rear end.

Basically if you want proper 4x4 you get the heavy tow 9200 lb rated one.

As for payload? My fully loaded Platinum is right around 1700lb payload sticker.

I still run the stock stupid 22’s but immediately put a new 2021 BFG tire called the Trail Terrain which was designed specifically for SUV owners looking for better durability and traction but still decent highway performance and mileage. I lost a solid 1mpg over the car tires it came with but they were absolutely horrible even wet highway they were some of the worst tires I have ever had on a vehicle. The New Trail Terrain 3peak rated were a game changer! Total beast in the snow and pretty respectable in the muck. The 22’s are 285’s not much to air down but I never do sand so hasn’t been a problem. Sand? Yeah definitely probably would hunt down some stock 20’s and fit as big as I could. I think you can run slightly bigger on 20’s without rubbing in stock mode. Lots of guys are bumping them up 1-3 inches with fairly basic effort. Its such a nice rig especially long hauls. Had to do a unplanned COVID escape during a family trip on spring break. Our host turned positive we bailed did a 13hr all night cannonball run home. 23mpg average and I didn’t feel destroyed. No freaking way I could have done that in the Sequoia. Plus that trip in the Sequoia was a solid 16mpg average the last 3 times we did that trip.

wow, 1700 lb payload. Thats solid. Is that a regular or MAX? My lariat max tow F150 is 1560 lbs with nearly every option.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
wow, 1700 lb payload. Thats solid. Is that a regular or MAX? My lariat max tow F150 is 1560 lbs with nearly every option.
Regular
My buddy just picked up a heavy tow 2022 Max. I keep meaning to eye ball his payload sticker. He doesn’t have the Platinum but its a fully optioned limited stealth package which is pretty close to the Platinum in added crap. The payload stuff is interesting. I’m pretty Sure 8 passengers plus a tow rating they get setup with a heavier payload envelope than the standard F150. I bet it’s formatted closer to the Heavy Payload F150 regarding the spring rates. I know the rear diff is out of the HD parts bin and quite different than the non heavy tow pack Expedition

Funny story when I bought mine new. The Platinums were not selling. The $85,000 msrp pretty much killed any interest. The limiteds were hard to find sold like crazy. A loaded Limited with heavy tow pack was a rare find. msrp was like $80,000. Dealers were selling the limiteds at or even above MSRP. No joke I got my fully loaded heavy tow platinum for $72k! The dealer had 5 I took the newest vin# was only on the lot about 12 days after delivery. ? They had a few others pushing 40-50 days on the lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deleman