303 fabric guard as Flippac or other tent fabric waterproofing treatment

homemade

Adventurer
It is pretty well documented that the flippack tent fabric is sturdy but not very water repellant. As a soon to be owner of one I have been looking around for products that will help in this regard. Nikwax seems to be a favorite and TACODOC has kindly written up about this product. I am somewhat familiar with 303 products because I have inflatable boats which specifically recommend 303 aerospace protectant (not the fabric guard). They make a fabric guard product also which is recommended by the manufacturer of Sunbrella. With that kind of recommendation I was thinking of using it on my flippac tent. Has anyone used it for this application? Here is one review of this product http://www.myboatstore.com/scotchguard.asp but I have seen some other test done several years ago that rated 303 higher than Nikwax

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I was under the impression that 303 was not a water repellant, but a UV protection. Nikwax makes some really good water repellant products.

Either way, I like 303 so much that I sometimes just smear it on, for self preservation.

homemade

Adventurer
I was under the impression that 303 was not a water repellant, but a UV protection. Nikwax makes some really good water repellant products..

Sunbrella recommends it to restore water repellancy to their fabrics, if I under stand correctly. The tests were done to assess water repellant properties that it adds to fabrics. It is supposed to be safe for many types of fabrics and even leather and easy to apply - spray on and let it dry. UV protection and protection from soiling and stains are also advertised. I think I will give it a try, a local marina is listed as a retailer. I'll probably bring a couple of the quart spray bottles with me when I pick up the camper in S. Cal. easier to sun dry there than up here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertical.dan