New Article on Expedition Camper Selection

saltamontes

Observer
i suppose some definition of "expedition" or "adventure travel" would be helpful in the article.

the vast majority of those with campers on US-made full size trucks are the hardshell variety and anything under 10' on a 4x4 (esp short bed) is quite expedition capable if "expedition" is defined as class 2+ roads (which covers 90+% of the roads upon which most people are willing to take their rig).

These campers are available new and used from a variety of US domestic manufacturers often at very attractive prices. Popups certainly have their advantages (mostly COG and clearance, not weight) however omitting the lightweight hardsides (Lances/Northern-Lites/Bigfoots/Northstar/etc) is ignoring a very viable option for US consumers looking to get a camper and unwilling to pay/ship from France or Germany.

Also, people i know who tried to put a lot of weight on a gas Power Wagon found them inadequate in power/mpg and traded them in for a SRW Cummins and added a leveling kit and lockers (if so inclined). That seems to be the path XP Campers is taking as well.

you wrote:
"While there is no model from Ford, GM, Toyota or Nissan that matches
the Power Wagon's combination of carrying capacity and off-road
performance, you can build a very capable 4x4 pickup based on any of
these brands."

the Dodges are known to have the lowest payload rating of the big 3. They used to have a flyer in the glovebox of new trucks that specifically stated "Do not put a camper on this truck [because the frame will bend]".
Lockers are easily added to any of the above makes and a 4" lift IMO is dangerously raises the COG w/ a camper (as well as making load/unload difficult).
Last time i checked, Nissan and Toyota payload ratings were nowhere near those of the big 3. Additionally, most US camper manufacturers (esp hardside) are not targeting the Titan/Tundra owners as the bed sizes have become non-standard in recent years.

Last edited:

dzzz

Considering earthroamers are 17,000 lbs on a Ford pickup should be evidence enough. I believe the GMC Kodiak goes high too.

Also, while Tacoma started out as the North American name for HiLux, these models have diverged. It's somewhat strange to recommend a Tacoma with its minimal payload and a frame that has been broken may times by nothing more than airbags. The vendors and participants here represent a tiny fraction of North American travel camping. The opinions presented as fact are simply the preference of the dominate culture here. These "facts" are quantitatively indefensible - both in market share and vehicle specs.

Last edited:

78Bronco

Explorer
The author has made a great contribution to our sport with this article. Good job!

I think he is mistaken when he says that Nissan and Mitsubishi do not have the same support network as Toyota.

78Bronco

Explorer
The author has made a great contribution to our sport with this article. Good job!

I think he is mistaken when he says Mitsubishi does not have the same support network and durability as Toyota. He is obviously biased to this platform as I am to the Mitsu.:coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online