Adjustable Air Springs

sbisig

Has anybody have any knowledge about these air springs? I know similiar setups are used overseas to increase load capacity.

Product Link

G_15927G_SW_1.gif;pvac2fe176778a4b78

* Add up to 1,000 lbs. of load capacity to prevent damaging suspension drag and bottoming out

* Improve handling and braking, provide extra front-end support for snow plow, winch, etc.

Air Lift 1000® air springs give vehicle vertical lift. Polyurethane cylinders fit easily inside existing coil springs without any special tools. Air pressure can be varied to accommodate additional loads and to achieve desired suspension stiffness. Inflate at service station or with on-board air supply (sold separately). Sets include 2 air springs, hose kit, inflation valves, hardware and instructions. Not for use on leaf springs. F=Front, R=Rear, FWD=Front Wheel Drive.

njtaco

Explorer
I've installed and/or replaced a few in-coil airbags, like pictured. The abrasion from the coil spring can wear them out.

Are you thinking of these for your 80? I think they are not such a good idea in that application. Maybe for a stock truck, to increase load capacity for towing, but not for a lifted "adventure" truck, requiring articulation and reliability. (IMHO)

Installed on a vehicle with leafs, however, I've heard and seen good stories more frequently than bad, with most failures being from improper (or no) air pressure, improper install, overextension, etc. Once in a while an unexplained failure, but not commonly.

I used a set on my old 1985 G20 (Chevy van) with coils in front, leafs in rear, and it really helped the worn-out suspension. It was a crutch, however, and I should have just replaced and beefed-up the stock suspension parts. I was always checking, adjusting air pressure, inspecting...it was a headache.

Hope this is what you are looking for...

Bob

Last edited:

njtaco

Explorer
To edit myself, these are used in GM P30 and Workhorse rails from the factory, in the front coils of the IFS. These trucks are capable of up to 22,000 lbs GVW, and are where I have seen the most failures.

Grouseman

Adventurer
Sb

SB,

I have a pair installed on my 80 series Cruiser. Got them from JC Whit. When I pulled any kind of trailer my rear sagged. No more now with air bags. Actually I leave my rear up some now and it Improves the ride of the truck. Highly recommend these.

SS

brittan

Adventurer
I had a set on a 90 4Runner. They didn't last as I'd hoped. I don't dislike the idea but I agree with njtaco...not for expedition travel.

sbisig

That's the answer I was expecting. I was just curious if such air springs were ever used for expedition type travel.

I have a long ways to go before I have to worry about heavier springs on my 80.

Steve

alia176

Explorer
I had this set on the back of my Range Rover for about two years w/o any issues. The RR went through Fordyce trail and countless other trails our West and the bags did surprisingly well. I was thinking of sticking them in the 80 if they fit inside the springs.

I had them connected to each other so that when one compressed, the other one inflated. The next time, I'll try keeping them independent to see how that affects the ride quality and articulation.

In that particular vehicle, 20 psi yielded 3" of extra lift in the back.

Cheers.

cpg

Adventurer
I have had them in my 96 cruiser on 2 Baja trips and a few other off road trips. No problems at all they are great when you are over loaded on long dirt roads. Fixed my bottoming out problems and the are adjustable.

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I am looking for some info on these as well.

I am going to be fabbing up a dirt bike rack similar to this one for my 80:

image001.jpg

My bike weighs a svelt 350lbs and will be dangling off of the rear of the rig!

The bike will only be on this rack ON road to get to and from far away riding spots! It will not be on there while offroad of course! :costumed-smiley-007

I am already pretty heavy in the rear.

I currently run the heaviest spring OEM makes (864) or at least the heaviest available in the US and i already almost at their +600lb limit!

On the rear of my rig now, i currently have a:

-Slee Rear Bumper
-33" MTR
-High Lift jack
-44 Gallons of fuel
-A Fridge
-And gear back there.

Any ideas on what to do so i can :roost: ?

I was thinking of the bags for ON road only and empty them when i go offroad and need the travel etc..... Thoughts?

Thanks

Last edited:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I have been testing the Slee 4" heavies - they really hold up to massive weight I seem to always carry :violent-smiley-031:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Once I installed the 4" heavies - I loaded in items after weighing them for a test - I totaled 900 LBS in the cargo area along with the Hanna/tire/gas cans.

The springs leveled off nicely and held the load :pROFSheriffHL:

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Desertdude said:
Once I installed the 4" heavies - I loaded in items after weighing them for a test - I totaled 900 LBS in the cargo area along with the Hanna/tire/gas cans.

The springs leveled of nicely and held the load :pROFSheriffHL:

I am going to be looking at almost 1350lbs in the back with the bike, gear, fuel, mods etc.... And sometimes when we do our trips, i have 3 passengers as well! Could be near 1500lbs

:yikes:

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
:yikes: yes you win...:REExeSquatsHL1: I was talking with Christo Slee the other day and he felt the only other option were airbags... carry a spar bag and you should be fine

:::

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Desertdude said:
I was talking with Christo Slee the other day and he felt the only other option were airbags... carry a spar bag and you should be fine

Ok cool! The bags will only be inflated when the bike and rack is on. Otherwise it rides and wheels fine. If they are DEflated will they affect travel and such? Or will they seem non existant?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles