Anyone build an m105a2?

jp0863

Observer
I know it's a little big for off road use, but i have 4 kids, and as big as the suburban is, it's still not big enough for everyone. I already have the m105 trailer so that part is easy and it only cost me $300. I have a canvas top for it and all the hardware. My plan or thinking was to install the cover and throw a matress in the back (king size) for the kids. Add a few accessories like a small heater and some lighting, put some 235/85/16's and a trailer axle with brakes and call it good. I may mount some things to the outside edges like gas cans, camp stove, propane, etc. I'm already limited to what trails i can hit with the suburban so it will mostly be for out in the desert to get the kids off the ground and it's plenty big (6' by 9') inside the bed.

Anyone else do something like this? or have any opinions?

jp0863

Observer
Yeah i saw a couple posts, but none of them had actually built one in any of the posts. Sweet picture of one though which gives me more ideas...

Attachments

• m105a2 tent.jpg
    m105a2 tent.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 389

jagular7

Adventurer
That is a 3/4 ton M101A1 trailer. It is about 1275#s empty compared to a 2400# M105A2 trailer. The Suburban probably won't have that much trouble pulling the trailer on the concrete but you will better off swapping out the military axle/wheels/tires and get something more usable and matchable to the Suburban's driveline. I wouldn't want to pull 3000#s behind me offroad either. I don't think the Suburban has the chassis to handle the push/pull effects of the trailer.

Yah, the bed is slightly bigger on the M105 series trailers than the M101's but not by much, (IIRC 1/2' higher wall, longer and wider). If you really want something that would be cool, look for an electrical box shelter or communication shelter from the military. They are usually all aluminum with a vast difference in sizes, but you may be able to locate something that you can work with. Place a trailer (home-made) frame underneath that and go from there.

jp0863

Observer
yeah swapping the axle was one of my plans and use 235/85/16's. I would have bought an m101, but the bed is only 6' compared to 9' of the m105. I'm 6'4" so the m101 wouldnt do for me. I weighed an m105a2 axle with tires and it was a little over 1200lbs if i recall correctly. The 8 lug axle with 235/85's was just over 400.... it's been a couple years so i'm going off my memory which has been a little off before. Still just an idea for now..

jagular7

Adventurer
Well, if I can read this right, empty the wheels have a weight of 2440#, tongue 310#, for a total 2750#!!!

16450076.jpg

Gov't Liq has quite a few of the M105's up for auction. This one is Sale 4600 Lot 5713

I've only had 1 M105 years ago in 2001. Its behind the Bronco with a cord of wood in it.
PARKED1.jpg

jp0863

Observer
I looked for a picture of mine, but i cant seem to find it. I bought mine last year from Gov Liquidation down in Barstow for $300 when i picked up my m1008 since i was making the trip. The more i think about it though i may just keep it and build it for off road use since it's so big. I got lucky and mine came with the top and bows, along with a bunch of other crud in the back (cat poo) and a 20x35 ish tent that i already sold. Aside from being huge for the trail, i may just fit the bill.

RedRocker

Adventurer
I built this trailer a little over 20 years ago, has a drop down tail gate and the cover made in to a table with some clip on legs.
DSC00212-1.jpg

TobyLogic

it also depends on what your going to do with it.
I am building on a 105A2 frame and some of the springs,
Box gone, last two feet chopped a 2"after spring seat.
have the Springs, all the air over hydrolic system and the big cast iron front jack gone.
frame should come in at 600-1000 lbs, New 3500lbs axle, new electric brakes, new "civilian" 12 volt system.
Mickey T's on 5x5 hubs.
she will set level with "Blubicon"
View attachment 265696
View attachment 265698
IMG_1546.jpg

Last edited:

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
I know it's a year later bump, but great plan.

How is it treating you today and have you shared your build?

Thanks!

it also depends on what your going to do with it.
I am building on a 105A2 frame and some of the springs,
Box gone, last two feet chopped a 2"after spring seat.
have the Springs, all the air over hydrolic system and the big cast iron front jack gone.
frame should come in at 600-1000 lbs, New 3500lbs axle, new electric brakes, new "civilian" 12 volt system.
Mickey T's on 5x5 hubs.
she will set level with "Blubicon"
View attachment 265696
View attachment 265698
View attachment 265699

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94