Talk me out of a bike...

Been looking at the KLR 650 for nearly a decade now... Add some bags and take it on weekend trails by myself and ride with a few friends at work who are more cruiser-style riders than anything.

Here's the deal, I have no real NEED for it. Other than summer-commuting being easier on the pocket book...

The wife is against it, as I have my truck (see sig line), her truck (see sig line), my Baja Bug commuter/dune-runner, and my project '82 VW Diesel Rabbit sitting outside rusting until I get the electrical tackled... She says "We don't need 5 vehicles! Besides one doesn't run, and the other wont run until you rebuild the carb!" She's right of course, I really don't need another vehicle. Besides, not one that will require a few $k worth of extra gear for riding in the winter around here...

But I really really want one. Just love riding, and I haven't had the ability to do it since I was single a decade ago and had a bike.

Someone tell me it's a decent grocery-getter and reliable for daily-commuter. Someone tell me it's enough to get one just simply because I want one... Someone tell me the apple juice I'm drinking hasn't gone bad, (please someone tell me that, my daughter's got a glassful too)...

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Get the bike! :bike_rider:

There is no other means of transportation that is more economical or more fun. You see so much more on a bike, and the KLR can take you EVERYWHERE for cheap. Very dependable as a daily commuter, it has turned my commute into an adventure since I'm able to take back roads and explore on the way home instead of being stuck in traffic ;)

The Swiss Army knife of bikes, it is easy and economical to maintain in the long term, and other than some luggage and some maps, it's really ready to go wherever you point it right out of the box.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
The primary reason I stopped riding is because it's someone else's mistake that will kill you. It doesn't matter how prudent or experienced a rider you are. One moment of inattention on the part of the driver of a car, any car, will put you in the hospital, or worse. If I'm in a car, that same mistake results only in sheet metal damage.

I know there are lots of riders who manage to avoid being in an accident. For me, it's a matter of risk management. I'm willing to trade off the joys of motorcycle travel (which are considerable) to increase the likelihood that I'll see many more sunrises.

Chip Haven

The primary reason I stopped riding is because it's someone else's mistake that will kill you. It doesn't matter how prudent or experienced a rider you are. One moment of inattention on the part of the driver of a car, any car, will put you in the hospital, or worse. If I'm in a car, that same mistake results only in sheet metal damage.

I know there are lots of riders who manage to avoid being in an accident. For me, it's a matter of risk management. I'm willing to trade off the joys of motorcycle travel (which are considerable) to increase the likelihood that I'll see many more sunrises.

Chip Haven

That is a VERY BIG and VERY VALID concern. I drive a 28wheeler for a living, and the stuff I see daily in a truck makes the hair on the back of my neck stand on end. And I have the luxury of 105k lbs of steel and aluminum to protect me from other's mistakes. That part of the idea scares the **** out of me to be honest.

But the force is strong... I feel the pull...

Get the bike! :bike_rider:

There is no other means of transportation that is more economical or more fun. You see so much more on a bike, and the KLR can take you EVERYWHERE for cheap. Very dependable as a daily commuter, it has turned my commute into an adventure since I'm able to take back roads and explore on the way home instead of being stuck in traffic ;)

The Swiss Army knife of bikes, it is easy and economical to maintain in the long term, and other than some luggage and some maps, it's really ready to go wherever you point it right out of the box.

You fricken read the title man??? This is not helping me at all... :victory:

justfred

Adventurer
I'm trying to resist getting a Honda Trail 90, myself. Mainly as a (5-mile) commuter/gas saving vehicle, seems like a good alternative to a scooter and fun to bring along to the desert. Used to ride a 110 when I was a kid.

HarryT

Adventurer
Handlebar gun rack
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/4/22/460/5135/ITEM/Moose-Racing-Handlebar-Gun-Rack.aspx

I've got seven motorcycles, the dualsports are the most fun (until I want to go real fast, then I like the sport bikes the most; but then the sport tourers are a lot of fun, too; until you see a forest service road you want to ride and then it's the dualsport that's the best).
I've got over 40,000 miles on my 2000 KLR650. Been all over North and South America with it. Loved it. I still have the KLR but now it has street tires on it and I ride a DRZ400E as a dualsport. The Suzuki is lighter and faster but it won't carry as much gear.
I say get the KLR unless it will cause problems with the family. And as you have already stated, the safety gear and heated clothing is expensive but worth it.

njtaco

Explorer
Other than summer-commuting being easier on the pocket book...

Hmmm...I wouldn't try to convince you on rational grounds...I still don't think that one adds up...

But I really really want one. Just love riding, and I haven't had the ability to do it since I was single a decade ago and had a bike.
Someone tell me it's enough to get one just simply because I want one...

Now THAT's a reason worth talkin' about! If you want a bike, get a bike. Don't try to justify it, you don't need to. Just buy it. You'll love it. It IS enough to get one just simply because I want one...er, you want one :sombrero:

my daughter

That would be either the only reason NOT to get one, or another reason to be VERY careful when you do.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
'Talk ya outta the bike?' Well okay....they're like sail boats......4 -5 good trips and lots o dollars to fix em up cool.....9 months of payments while you look at em in the garage......another good trip in the spring....lots of whining about how you can't find enough time to ride it...don't forget about the extra insurance payments and how pissed you are everytime your GF's cat pukes on the seat while its in the garage during the winter.
But then again if your old you'll wish you had and if your young it really will barely affect the bankruptcy.....:wings::bike_rider:

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Let's see....the apple juice went bad if your feeling tipsy and your daughters giggling a lot......O yeah if she's old enough..... get a second helmet....I rode around w/ my son on the gas tank a lot for several years and he still remembers it....we had a ball. but it did seem to be one of the things that was brought up during the divorce....go figure.:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94