EarthRoamer XV-LT.. could you live out of one..

Jim1960

Observer
Say you figured a way to make your living on the move. As a fairly independent programmer as long as I have internet access I normally have income.

What if I wanted to travel around, kinda slowly, in one of these. Setting up wherever I could in the americas.

Could you live out of one as a 'primary residence' for a few years?

Jason

If I were going to work and live out of an RV, but not go off road too far, I would get a Chevy 2500 4x4 diesel and a fifth wheel. This way the home stays put while I travel into the nearest town for washing and supplies. The Earth Roamer IMHO is way to small for a couple years on the road. You will get cramped. The ER is they type of vehicle I would take to Alaska for a 6 month trip.

IMHO as always

Last edited:

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
Say you figured a way to make your living on the move. As a fairly independent programmer as long as I have internet access I normally have income.

What if I wanted to travel around, kinda slowly, in one of these. Setting up wherever I could in the americas.

Could you live out of one as a 'primary residence' for a few years?

Jason

I could.

I lived in one for a couple weeks. I also drove one cross country. Based on that, I would be happy to for a year and then see how it goes from there.

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
Been living in my rig for over 2 and a half years now and no problems. Still love it! I can't imagine why I needed such a big place to live in before! lol! You just have to choose if you want a big place to keep lots of junk you rarely use or a small place with just those things that are really important to you. So far it's been working for me.

alosix

Expedition Leader
Been living in my rig for over 2 and a half years now and no problems. Still love it! I can't imagine why I needed such a big place to live in before! lol! You just have to choose if you want a big place to keep lots of junk you rarely use or a small place with just those things that are really important to you. So far it's been working for me.

Good to hear.

Mind divulging what you do for a living, or have you managed to scrape enough together to not have to work?

Thanks
Jason

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
Hi Jason, I work full time for the government, and no, I'm not here to help. lol! During the week I usually just stay in the parking lot. On weekends I'll often go to the local Elks lodge or head out for camping and shooting and such. 2 more years and I can retire and travel full time. I did this now so that when I retire I'll have everything paid off and will only have to pay for gas and food when traveling.

alia176

Explorer
There was a ER for sale not too long ago and my wife caught me daydreaming while starting at it on the computer screen :drool: It is indeed a beautiful package and I assume it's very comfortable inside.

However, after seeing the various cab over campers with the slideouts at a campground in CO last summer, I wonder if you'd be more comfortable inside one of those vs inside a ER for long term living. It's rather eye opening to see how much room opens up when the sliders are out. I think the unit I saw was a mondo Lance cabover unit. The truck that way carrying it was a F550 four door dually or was it a F650...doesn't matter, both units were drool worthy :drool:

robert

Expedition Leader
Oddly, I never go to this forum and this post caught my eye too. Having spent considerable time in my VW and being technically homeless too I'll toss out a few things in no particular order as regards to compact living. Obviously I'm talking about an even smaller space, but the principles are similar:

Being able to stand up and walk around is awesome, the VW can get get cramped very quickly even when the top is up but much more so when I can't open it (I stealth camp a lot).

I would go nuts if I had to live and work out of it- see above. When I'm not working and can be outside it's fine, but rainy days get old really quickly. I have a place I can park in the woods when I want to (a friend's hunting property) where I set up a tarp and have a picnic table to sit at and that helps a lot.

You have to remember to eat right- cooking in a small space is a pain, but quite doable when you learn how.

You have to keep it clean; this means not only cleaning up any food that might attract bugs, but any mess period. In small spaces, they feel even more cramped when things are out of place.

Stay on good terms with your friends and they'll let you store stuff at their place. I've got stuff stored at my folks, a friend's shed and another friend's farm/hunting place. One of these days I plan to buy a piece of property and build a small house and workshop/storage building and I know I'll want my tools and stuff.

Probably the most important thing I can tell you is that you have to get along with yourself. I find that most Americans (born and raised in SC here) can't stand to be by themselves- they always have at least a TV or radio on. I could expand on this, but I'm sure most here know what I'm getting at and most are probably fairly comfortable with being alone.

Kodachrome

Observer
Robert,

While I agree that things can get cramped, in some ways, you have to be stronger than your challenges, overcome them and be of strong will. I spent some 5 weeks last fall living out of my Tacoma with nothing more than a Snugtop on it. If it were not for the moisture and dust coming through the bed, I would have been fine to a point.

There are astronauts who are training for the long trip to mars, the Apollo moon missions were cramped, you have to be strong. And yes, I know this is taking the aspect of living on the road well out of the realm of just recreation. I have spent countless stormy nights and days in tents on peaks in some 90 climbs in my life, I know how to be an astronaut on Earth.

I will have hundreds of days in my All Terrain Bobcat when my project is done at the end of next year, possibly close to 300 in total. So I am adapting my thinking, reading a lot of fantastic books, making friends, optimizing my cabin workflow to include hygiene, tool accountability and near subconscious routines. I luxuriate in it's efficiency, not in it's appointments.

The reason I could *not* live in a huge Earthroamer is not because it lacks room, but by it's sheer size and luxury of appointments, it makes a statement to me of finish over function. And I *really* don't like the statement it makes to the people I am going to encounter, some living in near poverty.

And I knew Hunter Thompson by the way, his widow Anita and I are still friends. I think he would have chosen the Earth Roamer in red if he were to have hit / live on the road…;-)

robert

Expedition Leader
Robert,

<snip>

Rereading my post, I guess wasn't really clear on what I was trying to say- actually I'm not sure what I was trying to say. I have lived out of the VW as well as spent considerable time in my old Tacoma- I used to take a month off every year and just travel wherever I felt like as well as many shorter trips during the year to go climbing and fishing. It had an unknown brand shell on it and I had the back set up for my needs with a piece of carpeted plywood and a side cabinet down the left side. I made some similar trips in my old FJ-40 before I had the pickup- Arizona and back in a FJ is an adventure in itself. I haven't spent nearly as much time in the back of the current Tacoma instead staying in the VW. I've also spent considerable time camping (including off the back of my motorcycle) and backpacking as well as spending three months in a Eureka Timberline 2 man one summer monitoring peregrine falcons. Currently I'm on an oil rig on the way to the Gulf of Mexico from Singapore (gotta love Rignet)- it'll take about four months and we're only partially there right now. I'm not bragging, just saying I understand small spaces and can live in them just fine.

When I say I like being able to stand up and stretch out it's because I've spent considerable time in cramped quarters where I couldn't- it's a luxury I enjoy. I also wouldn't want to work in such as small space as the VW, I need to be able to get up and move around. I don't like taking my work home with me and I try to keep them separate- my off time is my time. That's a none issue for me since I work as a paramedic (or maybe that's why I'm picky about it I don't know), but the OP was talking about working out of the vehicle as well.

I'm not getting rid of my VW or my truck and I don't see me buying another house anytime soon, but as I get older I realize I would like a few more creature comforts; heat would be nice on cold nights and AC on hot muggy ones- currently I use a Mr Buddy heater that I only run in the morning to warm things up and at night before going to bed; for summer cooling I have a small battery powered fan. I have no desire to own a monster camper either- it doesn't fit in with my lifestyle, my ethics or the places I travel- and I'm just too damn cheap to ever spend that on a vehicle. With that in mind, I've actually been looking at the ATC and Four Wheel campers with the idea of possibly buying one for my Tacoma- I imagine for many of the same reasons you bought one.

I suppose what I was trying to say was yes, I could live in an EarthRoamer just fine if someone gave me one, but it wouldn't be my first choice. I was also making a point about needing enough space to do whatever it is you do. Another example- my brother lived in his 26' Airstream for a while, he's an independent draftsman so he needs room for his computer and to spread out architectural plans- his Airstream was fine for his needs but my truck or VW wouldn't work for him. Get what fits your lifestyle....

Just my two cents worth. :beer::beer:

dzzz

The question may be "if you had $200K to spend on a vehicle you will use as home for several years, what would you buy?"

I would need to give that question a lot of thought. I don't believe an ER would have enough storage space for me.

JRhetts

Adventurer
There seems to be a certain amount of tail chasing in the various responses to the original question. As an ER owner who has lived full-time in one for up to four months continuously, my answer is "Yes!! I could live in an ER for years on end -- assuming I could resupply at reasonable intervals. The ER space is just like a small sailboat in which many people have circumnavigated the world over a period of years."

BUT - my conclusion may not be your conclusion. Why not? You may have very different expectations or needs from me.

I can assure you that my wife and I can carry with us everything we need to live a comfortable life for extended periods, and we would have no objective trouble extending 4 months into 4 years. We simply CAN carry what we need (objectively require) along with a substantial amount of luxury or discretionary gear/stuff.

But our list may not be adequate for you and yours.

I think that is why there are so many and contradictory responses posted here. We all have different needs and expectations and one person's answer may not fit another at all well. Also, i suspect that the cost of the ER colors some people's answers, as in "I just can't justify/wrap my mind around paying that much money for a vehicle."

John

dzzz

Yet $200K is reasonable for a boat, and its a starter home in most areas.

But the technical aspects of the question are worth exploring. I wanted so, so much to build a pickup based vehicle, but I couldn't get past the inefficient use of 24 feet. A transverse mounted engine and a cab that integrates with the living area are important features when trying to make the most of space.

etbadger

Adventurer
My wife and I lived for a couple of years in a conversion van (Sportsmobile), with similar volume to an EarthRoamer. It certainly is doable, and quite a bit of fun if you adapt to a fairly different pace of life.

The biggest suggestion I could give would be to echo the earlier comment of renting a cheap RV of similar size for a month or two, and see what you use and what you miss. The big EarthRoamers are very nice, but have amenities we just wouldn't value to the extent of the cost. Conversely there are some features they do not offer that are very important to us. Our values are not those of anyone else, so I'm not sure there is much point to going into specifics, but that is what a rental will tell you for your particular situation.

And in the end, whatever you choose can be made to work, and will turn out not to be ideal in all ways. We have copious notes from our time and are in the process of re-working a lot of stuff for the next foray out into homelessness.

-Erik

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior