Silverado Slide-in

eugene

Explorer
Putting the bed across the front you need to make the camper pretty wide. I thought about mounting a futon type down one side then the whole kitchen in front of the shower on the other and make it removable with legs so it can be an outside camp kitchen.

jh504

Explorer
Putting the bed across the front you need to make the camper pretty wide. I thought about mounting a futon type down one side then the whole kitchen in front of the shower on the other and make it removable with legs so it can be an outside camp kitchen.

Thats a pretty cool idea. Would the whole kitchen, sink, stove and everything be removable? How were you going to go about setting that up?

eugene

Explorer
the linktlbrewer posted shows what I was talking about.
http://www.rqriley.com/imagespln/b-camp2.jpg

In my current camper the kitchen is about ~18" deep, ~18" and built over the area hanging over the side of the truck bed. So my thought was to make it like this picture which is much like the camp kitchens/chuck boxs you see on other threads on this forum. Just make some ~18" legs to support it outside the camper. Some quick connects for the water and propane.

You know, your not saving much over a normal popup truck camper, yours looks to be as tall, you might as well add the cabover, they make storage under the beds up there now so you can use it as storage or simply a way to not need to convert the seat into a bed for sleeping. Could just buy an old camper like I did and save some time. I don't have a problem building something like this but it does take time, by buying an old one I get to use it some while I'm rebuilding it

Last edited:

jh504

Explorer
I would be a little concerned with a body lift and a camper.
Has anyone had experience with the combination?

Good question. I would be interested in knowing if anyone has had issues with this. I would think that with the big heavy units some problems might come into play.

You know, your not saving much over a normal popup truck camper, yours looks to be as tall, you might as well add the cabover, they make storage under the beds up there now so you can use it as storage or simply a way to not need to convert the seat into a bed for sleeping. Could just buy an old camper like I did and save some time. I don't have a problem building something like this but it does take time, by buying an old one I get to use it some while I'm rebuilding it

I keep going back and forth on the cabover thing. I was originally planning on building a full-height cabover but then decided against it due to the areas I will be traveling. The brush in the NC mountains can get very thick.
My truck is also a single cab so the space over the cab wouldnt be huge. I was also trying to cut down on as much drag as possible, and eliminate as much top end weight as I could. It still could be feasible to do a pop-up cabover on my single cab though. I will kick around a few designs and see how it turns out.

jh504

Explorer
Here is a cabover idea;

This is with the top down;
slide-incabover1.jpg

These are with the top up;
slide-incabover2.jpg

slide-incabover3.jpg

Interior;
slideincaboverinterior.jpg

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
You may want to check out my blog, I have a post from the 1955 Popular Mechanics Encyclopedia Set, about building a House Trailer for your truck, plus other pics of similar units I found throughout the year surfing the web.

http://sportsmanmattoutdoors.blogspot.com/2009_01_01_archive.html

I am doing a similar thing in the next year or two, depending on time off and how much initial cost to building a shell would cost me, along with availability of good lumber and parts. Only problem I'm having with mine right now is the propane storage issue, which may be solved with a simple cabinet and vented doors.

Good luck, love the sketches.

jh504

Explorer
You may want to check out my blog, I have a post from the 1955 Popular Mechanics Encyclopedia Set, about building a House Trailer for your truck, plus other pics of similar units I found throughout the year surfing the web.

http://sportsmanmattoutdoors.blogspot.com/2009_01_01_archive.html

I am doing a similar thing in the next year or two, depending on time off and how much initial cost to building a shell would cost me, along with availability of good lumber and parts. Only problem I'm having with mine right now is the propane storage issue, which may be solved with a simple cabinet and vented doors.

Good luck, love the sketches.

That is a very cool old article. I really like reading stuff like that. Men have been mulling these ideas over for quite a few years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles