Its our turn for the Pan-Am

LateNate

Adventurer
Still going smooth here, but I did encounter a small speed bump. I had my meniscus repaired yesterday so that my put us back a week or two from when we wanted to depart. I had to get it taken care of though before the trip. So all I can do now is baby it and hope it heals quickly. I wanna get on the road already!

Last edited:

LateNate

Adventurer
P9110014.jpg
[/IMG]
P9110015.jpg
[/IMG]
P9110017.jpg
[/IMG]0016.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]

LateNate

Adventurer
i finally got the pics up. thats the truck and camper we are taking. we have a little work to do to get it ready.

LateNate

Adventurer
Yesterday we finished removing all the decals and stickers off of the camper. We bought about 20 spray paint cans at 97 cents each to paint it black. Also some clear coat to put over it. Will post the pics when i can.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Hey Nate,
before you paint it black can I ask why?
I am not trying to be mean or pick on your but you plan to travel into a tropical area where both white and reflective are great things.
I really really wouldn't paint that shell black.

I would like to hear more about your route, skill sets, who all is going and such. It might be that many of the folks who have done this trip before can be of help.
You might want to look for a book called Americas Overland by the Greenes (they post here). It covers Central America well.

I would also recommend the Overland Training Comp Course before you invest too much in gear, rig or stuff...the price might seem high at first but when you make it a percentage of your total trip budget it is cheap and when you think about all the mistakes you could make in border crossings, gear selection or driving then it is priceless.

9 months seems like a long time but I know from all my experience that the time flys by and you are always staying up late at the end to make things happen.

LateNate

Adventurer
Thanks for the info 1leglance. We decide to paint the camper black only for aesthetics. We left the top white just for the reason you mentioned. Right now the route isn't planned out completely yet. We have some scheduled festivals that we would like to attend and are setting traveling times around them. We don't have the "itinerary" completed yet because we are adding and subtracting festivals that we want to attend. Skill sets? I don't know. My partner and I have traveled a bit to South Africa and Spain. I enjoy a lot of outdoor activities that I plan on doing all the way down, example, climbing and surfing. I have a small amount of off roading experience. Nothing as far as expedition quality. Mostly day and overnight stuff. What I have been reading though is that there really isn't too much need for four wheel drive in the first place, unless you try and get into remote areas for the examples above.

Right now it is just me and my friend Freddy. We are actually doing a lot of work as far as making a website and having plenty of media equipment to capture our travels.

Any help I can get from you or this website is much appreciated. Unfortunately, by the time I read this we have already painted the camper. Thanks for your concern though.

LateNate

Adventurer
Paint it black

P9250049.jpg
[/IMG]
P9250050.jpg

20 cans later
reminds me of a Rolling Stone song

Last edited:

rockandroll

Adventurer
Hey LateNate!

Just wanted to chime in. My GF and I plan on doing the exact same trip 12-14 months from now... Travel down to SA while doing some surfing, climbing, and exploring! :costumed-smiley-007

After doing a bit of research it looks like we ended up with the same idea for the rig... 2000ish Taco with a slide in camper. Keep us updated on the planning, it sounds like we'll have very similar itineraries.

LateNate

Adventurer
Hey LateNate!

Just wanted to chime in. My GF and I plan on doing the exact same trip 12-14 months from now... Travel down to SA while doing some surfing, climbing, and exploring! :costumed-smiley-007

After doing a bit of research it looks like we ended up with the same idea for the rig... 2000ish Taco with a slide in camper. Keep us updated on the planning, it sounds like we'll have very similar itineraries.

Nice, just keep it locked in here.

LateNate

Adventurer
Insurance

I was wondering what companies were out there providing life/medical insurance for a pan am trip. I have heard there was and it is probably a good idea to have some.

stclair

Adventurer
I'd like to eventually make this trip as well. Only in a VW Westfalia. I'll be watching this thread. Good luck, and have fun!

Scott Brady

Founder
There are several good companies for that. Mostly, you want MedEvac insurance. MedJet Assist is a good one.

I just completed the Central America portion. Let me know if you need any help.

LateNate

Adventurer
Winch/Snorkel?

Does anyone think a winch and or a snorkel is nessecary for a Pan-Am trip. I am pretty sure we will be driving off the beaten path, but will those areas warrant that equipment. I always have like the saying, i'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Which of you out there, that have done this trip, have come across a time needing either one of these things?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles