Disabled Explorers Sportsmobile 4wd Wheelchair Accessible Van Build

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Well some good new and some bad news..
The rig now has a massive Deka battery to give us a crazy amp hour supply of juice..
The bad news is I have to send back the 2 Odyssey batteries we were going to use as there was just no room inside to install them.

But you can bet that when the factory batteries go out I will be jumping on a chance to use Odyssey batteries again. They did an amazing job on the Continental Divide Expedition and I love'em

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
This build looks awesome and I'm so impressed with all the work SMB is doing to make it so custom for your needs.

Hopefully we'll get to see it at SEMA

Cant wait to see it finished!

1leglance

I can't wait either!!!
I want to get this rig into the dirt :)

See ya there.

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
Lance

the truck is looking great. cant wait to see the finished build. i think you should post up a paypal link for some additional disabled explorers funding. i know lots of folks have given from the portal. but if we rally together and even just kick in $5.00 each towards the van, it wont hurt us much and should generate a few more bucks towards the project...

it will be great to see the photos of your first trip to baja with the first disabled explorer with you...

jcbrandon

Explorer
...i think you should post up a paypal link for some additional disabled explorers funding. i know lots of folks have given from the portal. but if we rally together and even just kick in $5.00 each towards the van, it wont hurt us much and should generate a few more bucks towards the project...

James, you are the man. Thanks for the reminder. I just found the donation link on the Disabled Explorers website. Anyone can use PayPal and send money to:
donate (at) disabledexplorers (dot) com

I just donated what I would have spent on burgers and beers after work tonight.

1leglance

James , thanks for the donation comment...even small amounts make a difference to a non-profit like DE, being all volunteer run folks can know that every dollar goes towards insurance, fuel, website, accounting, permits, and all the little things that make it happen.
Oh and since you are being so nice I will make sure I don't park the W.A.V.E. with it's big ol' fixed top next to your Pop-top and make any comments about who's is bigger :)

J, my friend, your buger & beer donation really helps...not to pay for bugers & beers on this end but maybe an antenna or ham radio handsfree headset (how else does a guy using hand controls talk on the radio) or refills for the first aid kit...thank you very much.

I hope to get some more pics from SMB West today and if not then I will be out there Thurs to apply the graphics, finish up some details and try not to panic right before SEMA :)

Thanks to everyone who has watched this build...it isn't over with by a long shot...there is the rear tire swing out & down to figure out, maybe a rear winch, storage and more to learn out once we get it on the trail.

Vermejo

Adventurer
Great build Lance. Love how that guy was chopping the roof with a sawzall.
Can’t wait to see the adventures ahead.

1leglance

dscn0572.jpg

“Five working days till SEMA? No problem my friend.” Those are the words that settle frazzled nerves when you see a picture that has miles of wires hanging out of your project. I was sent these pictures today by email to let me know how well the project was going.

The guys at Sportsmobile West have been here before and know what they are doing. If they tell me the Wheelchair Accessible Van for Expeditions can be finished in five days, and say it with that kind of smile, then I trust them.

A couple of things to note in the picture above, you can see the Sure Grip hand controls that Nor-Cal Mobility was able to bring over from out previous FJ Cruiser project. Also on the floor you can just see the track for the B&D Independence power driver's seat base.

dscn0570.jpg

Here you can see the Aluminess front bumper and as massive as that looks it really isn't heavy due to the aluminum construction. Plans are to include a Ramsey 9500 UT Patriot winch. It has a wireless remote and most importantly a semi-auto clutch that saves a potentially hazardous trip back to the winch just to flip a lever.

The recent Overland Journal winch test (Gear 2009 issue) saw the Ramsey get the Value Award and out pull it's rated capacity. I really hope we receive the winch in time to install it before SEMA as I am looking forward to evaluating this unit for the disabled community.

Also you can see the very cool custom roof rack by Aluminess. With a vehicle this tall saving weight up there was important and Aluminess is well versed in that regard. The rack holds a Kyocera solar panel antennas for ham radio, cb and cellular booster. And of course you can't miss the Rigid LED lights. Up front there is a center mounted spot beam with floods to each side. The shop guys tell me these things are wicked bright even with all that overhead light. Arizona night runs as a therapeutic technique for the newly disabled, sounds great!

dscn0568.jpg

Here is a better look at the B&D Independence power drivers seat base. The idea is that when a wheelchair user is lifted into the rig there is still a height difference between their chair and the drivers seat. This can make transfers difficult and dangerous.

With the B&D unit the seat comes back 24” rotates and rises to the best possible position next to a wheelchair. As an amputee Braun Millennium lift and this B&D unit are beyond me. However the purpose of the W.A.V.E. is to get the newly disabled or those new to backcountry travel behind the wheel and discovering the please of overland adventures in remote areas.

dscn0563.jpg

This shot gives a great view of the roof rack and rear bumper build by Aluminess. The storage box on the back is reachable from wheelchair and it provides a good bit of lockable outside storage. Speaking of storage the rear bumper has another lockable compartment built into it also. There is an option for a rear winch and that might be something we look at in the future.

Up in the roof rack you can see another one of the Rigid LED lights. One fun feature we are setting up is to have the side and rear lights come on by key chain remote to provide camp light or scare away unwanted wildlife (including the desert wash flying quad kind).

On each back door Sportsmobile places a fold out table and the drivers side includes storage space for the shower wand or other goodies.

dscn0564.jpg

From the pictures it looks like Nor-Cal Mobility did a great job installing the Braun Millennium wheelchair lift. While Braun makes a wide range lifts not all have the ability to extend to the ground on a raised 4wd van. While we will lose some interior space when the lift is stowed it shouldn't be a major problem and of course worth it for those folks who will get their first off road experiences in this rig. It will be very interesting to get this setup out in a variety of terrains and see how it works in sand, rocks, mud and such.

Nor-cal was a huge resource during the design and build process, they also were able to get thing installed in record time. One thing we don't have that a chair users would is automatic door openers. It was an additional expenses and since I can walk and open doors we opted to wait and see about adding the openers later.

I hope to be in Fresno at Sportsmobile West in a few days to help finish up the final details before we talk the rig to SEMA. We have been very lucky throughout this project to receive the support of our sponsors and the enthusiasm of the public. SEMA has even come on board with a very gracious donation of a 20x30 ft split island booth #30193. If you are planning to attend the show please stop by and check out the W.A.V.E. for yourself.

Last edited:

1leglance

Thanks guys..

Hey James,
Sorry but we had to pull the National Luna out of it's happy new home in your rig:)
It was fun to hang out with the shop guys and actually get to do some real work this time.

At the end of the pass we gathered at the rig and around went a box of some great cigars (from an undisclosed location) and some heartfelt thanks on my part for all the hard work everyone did on this rig.

We will have to return to Fresno post-SEMA for some final button ups. But considering we started 2wks behind schedule plus extra time for the mobility install I am sure happy.

Today I get to finish the graphics and then Sunday to SEMA.

1leglance

Posting from my phone so no pics...
Huge thanks to Chris-peasbody? from this forum for his help yeasterday & today.
Still some detail work needed but we are pretty much sema ready.

Took it for a test drive and got a hook and bug thumbs up from an ambulance :)

It will be great to get someone behind the wheel of this beast and let them see what the can do and how they can enjoy the backcountry.

Happy halloween everyone!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior