I'm halfway there

Rexsname

Explorer
I took the MSF beginner class this weekend and went to the DMV this afternoon. I've got my "M" endorcement now! :wings::bike_rider:

REX

Rexsname

Explorer
I've been out at the various motorcycle shops here and around, looking at motorcycle helmets. I have read dozens of pages on ADV about helmets and I think I have chosen the one that I like. It is an HJC Symax. It is a 'flip-face' helmet, where the chin bar can move up and out of the way when desired. In my reading I have come to understand that a full face helmet IS BETTER. Just like I understand that a car with a three point lap and shoulder belt is not as safe as one with a lap, shoulder belt, air bag and ABS.

I went to visit my in-laws in Lake Havasu over the weekend and we went for a motorcycle ride. I wore a half helmet that very nearly put me off of wanting to ride at all. It seemed to funnel all of the wind from the fairing directly into my ears. The face shield that snapped onto the brim bounced around and was loud. The back seat of the Ultra Classic was OK for about 2 hours but it was a two and a half hour ride.

We looked at a V-Strom 650 and I loved it! I can't put both feet flat on the ground but it's close. I understand that there is a lowering link that will make it about 1" lower but I don't know how important is is to be able to stand flat footed. I felt comfortable with my left foot flat on the ground and my right on the brake pedal.

Sort of a ramble.......

REX

Rexsname

Explorer
I was able to go for a ride this afternoon. The guy who leads the Wednesday night Bible study has a 400cc Honda and let me ride it. We went for about an hour ride and I had a blast! The roads were only a 40 mph speed limit so I didnt get to get it up to freeway speeds but it seemed to do OK. It has a 'add-on' wind screen so I didn't get buffeted around much at all.

He says I can ride it untill I get my 'sea legs' or decide to buy it :bike_rider:

REX

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
We looked at a V-Strom 650 and I loved it! I can't put both feet flat on the ground but it's close. I understand that there is a lowering link that will make it about 1" lower but I don't know how important is is to be able to stand flat footed. I felt comfortable with my left foot flat on the ground and my right on the brake pedal.

REX

I don't think I would worry about flat footing a dual sport. I'm fairly short (5'8") and a relatively new rider, and am generally happy if i can at least get both toes down. If you are getting the balls of both feet down, that's pretty solid. You can't really go wrong with a V Strom.

luckyrxc

Observer
I've been out at the various motorcycle shops here and around, looking at motorcycle helmets. I have read dozens of pages on ADV about helmets and I think I have chosen the one that I like. It is an HJC Symax. It is a 'flip-face' helmet, where the chin bar can move up and out of the way when desired. In my reading I have come to understand that a full face helmet IS BETTER. Just like I understand that a car with a three point lap and shoulder belt is not as safe as one with a lap, shoulder belt, air bag and ABS.

I went to visit my in-laws in Lake Havasu over the weekend and we went for a motorcycle ride. I wore a half helmet that very nearly put me off of wanting to ride at all. It seemed to funnel all of the wind from the fairing directly into my ears. The face shield that snapped onto the brim bounced around and was loud. The back seat of the Ultra Classic was OK for about 2 hours but it was a two and a half hour ride.

Sort of a ramble.......

REX

It is really not necessary that you be flat footed and unless you are six foot tall or better you will only be flat footed on full road bikes. Some bikes wil still do well if dropped a bit with a lowering link, but do not compromise your suspension too much to get the bike down.
As you get comfortable on a bike, being flat footed will become less important to you. I've had bikes that I can only touch one toe/ball of one foot, while the other is up on the peg and it's just fine.

I agree with you on the helmet. Besides the safety in a crash, I find it difficult to ride without a full face helmet. In town, in the dirt, gravel, slow speeds I prefer a motocross helmet and either goggles or glasses. It's cooler in the summer too. On longer pavement rides and in colder weather I prefer a full face road helmet.

Don't go cheap with your helmet. Make sure it fits well, not too loosely, no hot spots. Be sure it fits well with your glasses under the face shield.

Good luck and be safe.

scarysharkface

Explorer

Sort of a ramble.......

REX

Being able to flat-foot with both feet is overrated. Tippy toes are fine, as far as I'm concerned. I have a short-legged friend (30" inseam I think) who rides a KTM640 Adventure and doesn't let it's height slow him down.

V-Strom 650 is a great bike.

John

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Congrats Rex! I agree with the others as I'm only 5'5" with a 30" inseam. I've almost never rode a bike that I could flat foot.

I have a DRZ400SM that is a great. I had the shop lower it a few inches not by adjusting the suspension all that much, but by lowering the fork risers on the fork tubes. Helped alot.

475864741_mSrha-L-1.jpg

I would also add that the full face helmet with the flip front is a must for riding in your area. We've went out riding during the daytime in the 90 degree heat and it can get warm in one of those helmets, but when the desert night air came in I was loving the protection and warmth of the fullface.

I do keep a motocross style fullface helmet in the camper for those days when I know I'm only going to be out during the day because of how much more air it funnels into the helmet. It offers good protection in the event of a crash, but is alot cooler than the full face style

I put a trunk on the back of the bike, JCWhitney for around $30! and it can hold a spare helmet, or the camera and lunch or some rain gear while out on a long ride.

475864592_UTA3r-L-1.jpg

I'd recommend the DRZ to a new rider because it has plenty of power, but not enough scare you or get you into too much trouble like many of the faster, sportier bikes

645446092_e6um9-L-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior