I'm halfway there

scarysharkface

Explorer
+1000 on the full-face helmet. The venting has gotten pretty good with the current crop. Sweat washes off, but teeth/jaw/skin don't wash on. I wear one of those buff thingies as a helmet liner, and it helps keep the helmet from getting funky. They are alleged to keep you cooler in summer and warmer in winter, and that may be true as well.

I ride a KLR650, and it's a fantastic all-rounder. I've taken long trips on it and I've ridden it through the creek in my woods. It is heavy for me, and Tracy and I are hoping to add a couple of DR350-ish bikes to the stable over the course of the next year. The DRZ400 is a wonderful machine, and weighs almost 100 pounds less than the KLR650 with only a little less horsepower. If you're not going to do lots of interstate highway riding, the DRZ might be the perfect bike and it has huge aftermarket support as well. Of course, the KLX250s has lots of appeal as well, but I'd probably not be taking any long trips on it...

As others have noted, www.advrider.com is an excellent place to satisfy your adventure motorcycling curiosity. Another place I frequent is www.ridetherock.com, which is a forum of Newfoundland bikers. Serious adventure eye-candy on that site...

The motorcycle speaks to my soul like nothing else. Not more, not less, not better, nor worse. Just different, and seems to fill a hole I didn't know existed before..

John

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
I'll agree with John, the DRZ400 isnt the best for long highway mileage trips, but any backroads, dirtroads or day to day riding commutes and its a joy to ride and a breeze to handle.

Main reason we bought it was for its weight. One of the lightest on the market for its size. We carry ours on the back of the Travel Trailer, so we needed to make sure we had as light a bike as possible.

My only, and MAJOR complaint with the DRZ is the seat. Feels like you're sitting on a wood plank. Corbin makes an aftermarket Gel seat for the bike that looks great, but its out of my budget right now.

Gatordoc

Adventurer
Congratulations! I just finished the BRC myself and am in the process of bike shopping. Have you decided on one yet?

Rexsname

Explorer
I wish I could say that I could afford the bike that I really want but I haven't worked in a few months and funds are quite tight. The guy who leads the wednesday night Bible study has a 1980 Honda CM400T that he'll let me use till I get my sea legs or decide to buy it. He'll take payments and its not that expensive. It's certainly not my dream bike but it will let me figure out if I like riding or if this is just a phase that I'm going thru. There is a really nice BMW K100 'Flying Brick' across the street from Overland Journal but they want $4800 for it. Heated grips, ABS, an 1100cc big bore kit and new exhaust.

I still don't know what the future might hold, but it's nice to dream.

REX

rynosurf

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure you can street legalize almost anything in Az, if this is the case do not buy a DRZ400, there are better dirt bikes out there that weigh a lot less and have a lot more power.

Rexsname

Explorer
And now for the second half...

I bought my first motorcycle on Thursday, transfered the title on Friday and got it insured today. I went for a little ride this afternoon, from Prescott up and over to Jerome then down through the Verde Valley to the I-17. From Camp Verde up and over to Mayer and then to home. 55.2 mpg and no issues. The bike likes 60 mph alot better than 70. I think this will be a good first bike.

I will work on getting photos up.

REX

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Ok, Rex asked me to post up pics of his new toy. So, here it is:

Rex2.jpg

Rex1.jpg

Rex4.jpg

scarysharkface

Explorer
I bought my first motorcycle on Thursday, transfered the title on Friday and got it insured today. I went for a little ride this afternoon, from Prescott up and over to Jerome then down through the Verde Valley to the I-17. From Camp Verde up and over to Mayer and then to home. 55.2 mpg and no issues. The bike likes 60 mph alot better than 70. I think this will be a good first bike.

I will work on getting photos up.

REX

Excellent! :bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94