JK Overland Project: Expeditions West 3.0

poohbearusvi

Roof rack brackets

I saw this rig at the Overland Expo. The ARB roof rack is bolted through the roof and is supported by custom made brackets on the interior roll cage. I've been looking for a system like this for my JK. Who made the brackets and where can I get a set?

Scott Brady

Founder
You do know that they come in other shades of the rainbow, right?

I do like the Gunmetal Grey color
picture-176.jpg

Scott Brady

Founder
Whats the story behind this one? How did you guys end up with this beautiful rig? I wonder What you Are planning on doing with this very well set up rig?

It is a Jeep Underground/Skunkworks project, which was inspired by the recent growth of the "overland" segment.

We work with Jeep quite a bit on various projects, including testing and proof of performance (taking new models over the Rubicon, etc.).

For what we plan to do? Well, it is very well set-up and well thought-out, but we do have some interesting plans. Principally, organization of equipment in the interior, lighting, aux. power and fuel/water storage.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
I do like the Gunmetal Grey color.

It's always good to step out of ones comfort bubble. :sombrero: Michelle is pushing for the Jeep Rescue Green when we go for a JK, I one the other hand, think a totally blacked out JK would be menacing. Sure it'd be sratched, pinstripped, hot and constantly dirty, but still menacing.

Scott Brady

Founder
Oh, another interesting feature of this Jeep, since it was an engineering project, is that the front anti-swaybar and both diff. locks are all wired independent of the T-case position. 2wd-hi with the rear diff locked- no problem. 4wd-lo with just the front locked - no problem.

gpwpat

Adventurer
This is really cool. since the overland concept came out and was printed in all the mags I was in love with the overall look and concept. I have already been collecting used parts to build my rubicon into a clone but in Jeep green. But then then again it isn't really a clone as there are only so many aftermarket parts to pick from and The armchair build I have been doing had all of these parts on it as I really liked the AEV line. Even the ARB roof rack i picked but I figured I would have to buld a rack to hold it, Then the Baha rack concept came out. so I am holding out for that one. So far I have sourced many great used parts. AEV hood, AEV front bumper, Hanson rear bumper, and Jeep tailight guards. I call it JK overland on a budget. I will be getting my hood painted next week. It is a preproduction hood so it is slightly different on the underside. I am not decided if I should paint the Black part on my hood for my clone yet. The wheels are Grand Cherokee spair wheels. Or jeep markets them as winter wheels. I hope to get some wheels at the local wrecking yard.

I want to see a picture of the overland JK pulling chaser #1

So tell us about the headlights. I know those are not factory.

Last edited:

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
I've been a Jeep guy for a long time. Since I was a little kid riding in my little league coach's v8 flatfender I knew I'd drive Jeeps.

THIS Concept is my favorite. My next new one will be similar except have seating for the kids.

Congrats on getting to play with this one!

MC4X4

Observer
I am really keen to see how the connect the roof rack to the hard top. Some details and picks on this would be great.
cheers Mark

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I'm a big fan of this truck. Having not known the exact specs, I had assumed it was more of a show truck not necesarily having been built for real duty. Sounds like a great setup really. I hope Jeep goes forward with this idea and incorporates aspects of it into the line. My favorite Jeep product is still the J8 hands down, but this is a very close second. Just curious Scott, since I know you have driven both the milispec J8 and the Overland now, what are your driving impressions of each other for comparison's sake? Specifically on a day to day comfort and performance perspective, which would you prefer for an extended overland trip?

I'm really looking forward to hearing more about this truck. Congrats guys!

Scott Brady

Founder
Kristian,

The J8 is incredible. Actually, it was love at first sight, so there was obviously some bias and rose colored windshield involved. The Rubicon Overland is a much better trail machine. I did some simple testing yesterday, and the thing is a beast. The 35" tires with the Nth Degree Suspension precluded the need for lockers. Even at street pressure.

For the J8, I loved the diesel. It is a great motor, surprisingly fast and still gets 25mpg with 255/80R17 tires. The J8 is more like a Defender, or a 70 Series TLC in function. The J8 super simple.

The Overland JK stands out for its trail performance and the suspension, though the engineers and designers did a great job of retaining a strong sense of simplicity and function too, with the flat load floor, canvas seat covers, lack of bling, etc. I like that.

TJDIV

Adventurer
Oh MY. Upper Michigan would love that thing. :D
Diesel would be so awesome. Kristian could follow me on the trail! ;)

Awesome shots too. Can't wait to see more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles