JK Overland Project: Expeditions West 3.0

Rigged

Observer
You are killing me!!!! I am looking at a new JK Rubicon. This looks amazing!

Scott, How are the 35's on the highway? This is geared with the factory Rubicon gears correct (4.10's)? Just curious what kind of ride it gives.

Last edited:

dirty Bakers

Conservative
It is a Jeep Underground/Skunkworks project, which was inspired by the recent growth of the "overland" segment.

We work with Jeep quite a bit on various projects, including testing and proof of performance (taking new models over the Rubicon, etc.).

For what we plan to do? Well, it is very well set-up and well thought-out, but we do have some interesting plans. Principally, organization of equipment in the interior, lighting, aux. power and fuel/water storage.

What a dream job. Let me know if I can help you out if you are in the Mesa area.

Chris85xlt

Adventurer
2 months after buying my white JKU rubicon i saw that thing rolling around in Pasadena near my work. i was hoping it would stop so i could check it out... :drool:

Im getting there!
6608_133969773658_725613658_3267889_8148972_n.jpg

pixeldzn

Observer
My jeep's suspension is identical to this Jeep.

AEV 3.5" with 35" Tires and stock 4.10 Rubicon Gears.

Scott is dead on the money - for a suspension with so few parts, it is a beast! Jim Frenz really knows what he is doing!

If I recall, when this jeep was introduced it had a smaller suspension and 33" tires. Must have been upgraded before it was sent to Expeditions West.

gpwpat

Adventurer
Yes I too would like to see some of the details on how they attached the ARB rack to the roll bar. Unfortunatly this will render teh hard top unremoveable. but who needs that in overland. Have you found it to be unberably hot in the JK without insulation? Also what is your opinion on the AEV rear bumper. they have not hit the market yet. the cool factor of 5 gallons h2o in the bumper but, that still is not enough really. I am really looking forward to following what you guys do with this JK and the modifications you make. While I am still quite far behind. Probably a year out before I get the suspension and tires. But getting there. not bad for finding parts on craigslist and used parts off the bay and jeep forums. every part in my build so far has been 50% to 70% off retail. One nice thing about he JK getting old. The used parts are hitting the market.

willh

I worked for Land Rover for 5 years. I've had 3 Defenders and loved every one of them. I've been driving a Rubicon Unlimited for the past 2 years and I have to say that it's every bit as capable a truck as the Defender, if not more so. The Overland JK is a great blend of the two IMHO. Now, I'm wondering what this truck would look like in Light Greystone? :)
attachment.php

Will H.
2007 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited

Attachments

• DSCF5060.JPG
    DSCF5060.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 4,096
Last edited:

proto

Adventurer
It's interesting that this vehicle should show up at this moment in time: just when the economy is up in the air and the manufacturers are on the ropes.

Does it represent an active development program, or is it just something that was in the works and allowed to coast along? (Or perhaps even someone's pet project that needed a place to hide for a while?)

A smart company uses concept vehicles as a tool to tease out feedback from the market. I suppose some of what they learn here will be incorporated into future models, but what's the likelyhood this will be available as a production item?

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
Wow....don't get my wrong...I love my rig...but what I would do for a JK like that! That is one awesome Jeep!!!! :Wow1:

JPFreek1

Explorer
This is a pretty sweet vehicle for those who haven't seen it in person. We did a write-up on it in our summer 2009 issue with a follow-up interview with Mark Allen, Mopar/Jeep's Chief Designer who played an integral role in the creation of this project. If you haven't seen the summer 2009 issue of JPFreek Adventure Magazine with the Freek Show editorial spread on the Overland JK or Mark's interview, you can see it at:

www.jpfreek.com/current/current.html

And if you don't already have a subscription to JPFreek, you can pick one up through the "Subscribe" tab on our main page, www.jpfreek.com. Enjoy! :)

TheMike

Adventurer
After seeing this thread, I immediately went over to the AEV website/forum and asked about those rear corners! With more than a few of us out here waiting for that elusive rear bumper I am hoping to get an early jump on those corners. I swear they are a government entity in disguise with their speed of things (not complaining as their products are AWESOME - it's just hard to wait for some things).

What a rig. Needs a Hemi :ylsmoke:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
AEV is pretty quick when you actually order your vehicle through them. Plus, you can get items not available to the public some times. I was able to get the LJ rocker guards that never hit the market. I'm sure the same is true with the bumper. Although I did see the rear bumper in Quadratec, it may have just been for preorders.

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
For what we plan to do? Well, it is very well set-up and well thought-out, but we do have some interesting plans. Principally, organization of equipment in the interior, lighting, aux. power and fuel/water storage.
I always was intrigued by modular container system some European expedition vehicle manufacturers base their interiors on. Looking forward now to your ideas!

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I saw this rig at the Overland Expo. The ARB roof rack is bolted through the roof and is supported by custom made brackets on the interior roll cage. I've been looking for a system like this for my JK. Who made the brackets and where can I get a set?
If they're not available soon, I'm going to try to fab some with the help of Stumptaco; he's got a great shop and skills to match....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior