Post favorite pics of your rig and trailer

Ranger110

Just picked up this David Bradley this morning. I was working on converting another trailer but now I think I'll stick too this one..

Attachments

• jeep with David Bradley trailer.jpg
    jeep with David Bradley trailer.jpg
    640.4 KB · Views: 86

Twopui

In need to strip my m101 down I have way to much weight to pull with my jku jeep. I was flooring it on the hills. I don't know how to get another toung though that's a big part of it I think.

andytruck

Observer
Just curious…. when you guys spec your trailer tires is it mostly for looks and/or to match the tow vehicle? Seems the ideal trailer tire would be like the front tires on a big farm tractor, narrow with circumference tread, since trailer does not have power and does little braking. Or does a big, fat tire just float better over terrain?

BADDANDY

Adventurer
Just curious…. when you guys spec your trailer tires is it mostly for looks and/or to match the tow vehicle? Seems the ideal trailer tire would be like the front tires on a big farm tractor, narrow with circumference tread, since trailer does not have power and does little braking. Or does a big, fat tire just float better over terrain?

Both. My trailer's stock tires were about 12" in diameter, now they're about 24", also twice as wide and All-terrain to handle any offroad situation. Mine don't match the Jeep's as I carry a spare for both the Jeep and the trailer and doing so would have the trailer too high. I didn't need axle clearance, just long suspension travel and frame and box clearance. It now sits 9" higher than stock.

4542111[1].jpg

0911151530.jpg

echo7tango

Road tripping, overlanding
Both of our rigs with our Turtleback Trailer.

C-Fish what is that roof rack on the maroon FJ? Who makes it? Is it aftermarket or did it come with the rig?

On the trailer too - is that a platform rack, and what manufacturer? It looks like Rhino Rack?

Thanks.

Redeth005

Adventurer
Well I dont have action shots of my trailer because i'm still working on it. But i'm too proud of it not to share it. This trailer is all custom build by me off a 1st gen 4Runner chassis
This is what i started off with when i first took on this project.

And now i looks like this

I by using the 4runner chassis i was able to use 3" lift leaf springs and make my own/modify a u-bolt flip pack to accommodate the 3500lb trailer axle. I kept the 6x5.5 lug pattern so i could use the same rim size and same 35" tire size that i use on my current 4runner. This way i eliminate the need to carry a 2nd spare tire. By using the lift and matching tires as my truck i gain the desired ground clearance. and if i ever get a flat i can always use my truck's full sized spare rim/tire. and if i ever get a 2nd flat on my truck well i just so happen to have 2 more spares mounted on the trailer. So that was the reason behind that one.

And this is my tow vehicle.

The trailer has came a very long way from what i started with but the outer shell is almost finished then i can register it a the DMV so i can finally start adding all the goodies like Solar, tent forced air heater, on board heated shower, roof top tent etc etc. I cant wait to use this on the trail!

If you're curious to see more about my build here is my trailer build thread:
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/148656-Redeth-s-Overland-Trailer-Build

Last edited:

bunger

Adventurer

I have the same wheels & tires on my trailer as the tow vehicle so I only have to carry one spare.
I spec'd the axle length to have the trailer track width to be the same as the tow vehicle track width too.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
The full story and more pictures are here: http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2017/03/expedition-trailer-in-fremont-kramer.html

Some photos for your enjoyment.

Fully Glamped-Out. Since there was a chance of rain I did not level out the trailer awning and left it as-is for quicker drainage.
IMG_4502-1.jpg

Time to trek on home
IMG_4506-1.jpg

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Same tires for Jeep and trailer for me. One spare. The places I take the trailer , regular tires wouldn't survive anyway. I assume having the bigger tires helps with breaking too, more surface area contact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles