What options do I have for rear recovery points on D1?

muskyman

Explorer
I have never seen any failures related to DII's and that design is much better IMHO.

the 2 additional failures on D1's I have seen one was a D1 that was pulling a trailer and the upper welds let go. that one was seen before it let go because the angle of the hitch looked way outa whack.

the second one was a totalled D1 in the local pick and pull. that hitch ws torn off completley while towing and then rolled after the trailer chains pulled tight.

both the disco and trailer came in on a flatbed and I got a call because the owner of the pick and pull calls me when he gets a new disco or RRC. the trailer was a pretty good sized pop-up trailer but no where near what I have pulled with my disco.

the bottom line on this is there is a pattern here. If this is all related to rust I am not sure but I was just chatting with Ho from EE and he told me about a rceiever that failed as well so this is something that needs to looked at if you are using the reciever for heavy hauling.

I rewelded all the welds on mine years ago but I still worry about it after seeing what I have been seeing.

RonL

Adventurer
I don't think mine will fail. I welded a 1/2" plate to the back that my bumper bolts too.
step3.JPG

step2.JPG

8 - 1/2" bolts and 3/16 wall tubing will hold anything I will tow.

michaelgroves

Explorer
There's a vast difference between the requirements of a towing point and those of recovery points. That's not necessarily to say that a towing point can't make a good recovery point, but it might well not.

If there's any doubt that the towing point is adequate even for towing, then don't even think of using it for a recovery!

muskyman

Explorer
This has been my point all along Michael.

the shock loads that can be generated during recovery can be more destructive then the standard loads of towing.

off road towing will also generate shock loads and the different angles that forces can be applied off road also may stress the hitches more then they were intended to see?

I think that this issue is related to rust? more then anything but I also have to say that the quality of the welds has to be playing into it because I have seen some (like mine) that really were leass then what I would call a quality weld.

blakesrover

Observer
I understand each point and understand that there is always a degree of risk in either application. If we brought up a thread on Jate rings, there sure enough would be the nay-sayers of how they dont trust the rings themselves under that much load, ect, ect,

So what seems to be the best solution with the stock set-up? Someone posted a pic of the UK spec tow hitch earlier, what were the thoughts on this application?

UKSpectowhitch.jpg

~Blake

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior