What options do I have for rear recovery points on D1?

blakesrover

Observer
I want to incorporate the rear hitch. What are my options?

So far I've seen this...

Superwinchreceivershacklebracket.jpg

Anyway to incorporate a dixon bate as seen on the camel discos?

CamelDiscoveryrearrecovery.jpg

Thanks guys.

~Blake

Matt Neale

At the off road driving centre that I work at, we use a number of 200 & 300 Tdi spec Discoveries for client training. All are fitted with the standard UK- spec tow hitch and either a standard UK ball hitch or a ball & pin.

Something like this:
B0NFGW.jpg

The fuel tank is surprisingly well protected by the drop plate and brackets, but if you want the ultimate protection consider the range from Southdown Engineering here in the UK...

Your other option is to go with an aftermarket bumper which incorporates a recovery points - something like THIS

Hope this helps!

Matt

discotdi

Adventurer
Rovers North sells a kit for the North American tow hitch which allows you to use the dixon Bate setup like CT. You can remove it when you need to tow something.

Crookthumb

Adventurer
Rovers North sells this RECEIVER HITCH ADAPTER FOR TOW JAW

RNA082.JPG

for this

RNF408.JPG

Dixon-Bate 3.5T Tow Jaw

not quite

201910.jpg

Dixon-Bate 5T Tow Jaw

To achieve this look

CamelTrophy19.JPG

you will either need to cut out your current bumper and find a way to mount the 5T Tow Jaw or have a bumper made. Either way check the welds on the receiver and make sure they are strong. Chopping off the receiver might be something you regret if you do go that route.

discotdi

Adventurer
right, the 5T does not fit w/out hacking up your bumper or going custom and spending shed loads of money, so go with the 3.5T it gives you a recovery point and the CT look and looks way better than the receiver with D ring.
Just remember some people may point and laugh because you are using the 3.5T and not the "true CT" setup. You must be strong. :sombrero:

blakesrover

Observer
interesting... i agree with the allure of the camel trucks in so many ways, but I for whatever reason thought this was going to be the strongest recovery point for a stock rear bumper? Is this not correct?

You say the jate ring..are you referring to the dual set-up in the rear directly bolted to the frame on each side? What is the weight/tow capacity for each ring?

(I dont plan to take the tow hitch off at this point and would like to plan for a 3.5 ton dixon-bate. If the RN tow hitch/dixon-bate set-up has it's flaws, I would like to know now upfront rather than be the test dummy:Wow1: )

thanks guys

Thor

Observer
I've heard of slight loss of departure angle with the Dixon Bate compared to the steel insert with the D-ring in the first photo. They have always worked well for me.

JSBriggs

Adventurer
I want to incorporate the rear hitch. What are my options?

So far I've seen this...

Superwinchreceivershacklebracket.jpg

I think this type wins for cost, strength, and simplicity. Every other option seems to be more expensive, and more complicated, and in some cases not as strong.

As for the JATE option, I'm not a fan. I know someone (Granville Pool) who has experienced a JATE failure first hand. When you look at the diameter of the attaching bolt, in not very confidence inspiring either.

-Jeff

muskyman

Explorer
I have seen 2 more reciever failures on D1's

using the factory reciever with blind faith is not a good idea IMHO

JSBriggs

Adventurer
I have seen 2 more reciever failures on D1's

using the factory reciever with blind faith is not a good idea IMHO

What part failed? Did the welds on the frame fail? Was anything sent flying or did it result in a deformation of some sort?

-Jeff

RonL

Adventurer
A failed receiver? Where are the pictures of that, there must be some of these on the web. Anything can fail, if you are stuck that bad that "pulling hard" is the only way to get out, that is the time to stop and rethink your situation and how you are hooked up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior