recommendations for a family rig?

bmwrider75

Ok, I'm sure this has been asked before...but bear with me - I appreciate your advice!

I am just discovering the expedition/overland world. Most, if not all of my experience is from long overlanding motorcycle trips on big dual-purpose bikes (GS's, KTM's, etc.). I've got several bikes now still, and love traveling on them, but I have a growing family (6 month old, 4 yr old, wife, and a med-sized dog) and obviously, expedition planning is getting a bit more complicated.

As a family, I'd still like to be able to go on an extended trip for several weeks at a time, some pavement/tourist stuff, some gravel roads, and probably also a (small?) percentage of actual off-road/trail exploring. I've ridden tons of real off-road on motorcycles (enduros, trails, etc.) but never really learned the 4x4 thing, so that's a bit of an unknown. I might love it, I might not do it all that much. Hard to know. Currently we have a restored 1974 VW Westfalia, but I'm finding that a bit too small and not really all-season capable for our current size family and weather conditions.

We like to camp and be self-sufficient. I do NOT ever want to rely on campsites with "hookups", though I presume that probably goes without saying on a forum like this. My wife and I love good wine and good food, and one of our absolute requirements for a rig is an excellent kitchen and food storage setup.

The weather out here in Eastern Canada is often variable, and I'd like to be able to use such a rig much of the year - i.e. camping in snowy conditions for x-country ski trips, snowshoeing, etc. - so I would want it to be heated and liveable in all weather conditions - rain, snow, heat, etc.

I'm open to suggestions as to the best route to go. Obviously budget is something of a restriction, which is to say that we couldn't afford an EarthRoamer, but we could probably sink close to 50-60k into a project like this, if it were useable all year round (both as a rig, and as a daily driver).

I don't have any preconceptions of brand, style, trailer vs. self-enclosed, etc. etc.

I would much appreciate any thoughts as to some guidance on how to narrow down the options. Currently my thinking is to go with a clamshell trailer like the KK or the AT Oasis and tow that behind a decent modern 4x4 SUV, but I am sure there are many more options and possibilities.

Your thoughts are much appreciated!

Nice to find this group. The Forum and the Overland Journal are fantastic! :smiley_drive:

dc

jcbrandon

Explorer
Four-season usefulness.
Room for a family of four plus a dog.
Heated living space.

I see those as your main defining criteria. The heated living space seems like the most definitive.

A couple of suggestions that fit the bill: A van, such as a Sportsmobile. Or a full-size truck with a slide-in camper.

And welcome to the forum. We're glad to have you here.

Maddmatt

Explorer
I think your idea of the towbehind is great - you might look at the Go. Some of the design and technology is not readily apparent at first glance, so don't use "internet math" to discount them right off the bat - I dig them - http://www.sylvansport.com/

Easy to tow behind anything, and you can use it as a utility trailer the rest of the time.

I also like the T@b, but haven't looked at them that close, not sure if they really offer enough sleeping room to make it worthwhile.

One thing you're going to find though, you mention using in hot conditions and cooling a space is always the biggest energy draw. Any kind of cooling in a non-hardsided solution is going to be really difficult and inefficient. Maybe not an issue for everyone, but I hate generators.

In any case, with a trailer you're not hauling all that living space around all the time. Maybe you should get a standard pop-up to see how you all like it and what your preferences are before you invest the coin in a fully kitted out solution.

With my family (kids 6 & 8, me, wife, dog) we use a big cabin tent and an SUV. The suv (Toyota 4runner) serves well as my daily driver, is reliable and has more than enough 4x4 capability for my level of exploration.

I've spent my fair share of time with the bigger rigs, and would love one if we did the multi day trips where you move on every day, but we A) don't have the time for multi week trips, and B) tend to enjoy setting up a homebase and exploring from there. With a big unit your whole camp goes with you every time you move it.

On our last trip we wanted to explore a state park that we'd had on the list for awhile. The site we ended up with was secluded and all together great, but had no vehicle access - so I hiked everything in. I'm the dad, that's my job.

Once our camp site is set up we're in and out constantly for 2-4 days. Here's our setup from last weekend:
100_6359.jpg

Benefits of this approach are a much lower cost of entry, you end up with a good daily driver, and you can leave camp for the day without having somebody else move into your spot (it happens). Downsides are that you give up a bit of creature comfort but air mattresses help and tent heaters are available. We had 90 degree temps during the day, we spent that time swimming in the lake, and then sub-freezing temps at night, but everybody has good bags and a couple layers on. My 6yo old burrows so deep into her bag that she needs help getting out in the morning.

Good luck with your search, I'll be interested to see what you come up with.
-Matt

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
agreed on the SUV, family sized tent approach...

We have a newer 2005 minivan for around town duties and I just replaced my stolen $24,000 2004 LJ wrangler with a $2000.00 1992 Jeep Cherokee a few months ago. I fit 2 toddler girls, one newborn, my wife and I along with a good amount of gear in the back of the diminutive XJ. (This is not a Jeep Advert, just my experience)

I have also put our labrador (150lbs) in the back with all of them and we fit just fine, but that means that gear would have to go on the roof in a roof rack, which I'm fine with or in a trailer if we decided to get one. Since the dog doesn't go on trips with us, we CAN use the rear for gear, and the roof for things like our ration of water and a jerry can as well as camp chairs/table/tent, etc.

I honestly don't like the idea of a trailer, simply because I hate having to fit it in parking lots, backing up, and the extra "vehicle" to moniter and maintain.I do see the coolness factor of having a "basecamp" ready and waiting in the garage, but thats really the only thing I see as advantagous about it.

I prefer Roseann Hanson's method of being "ready to go" with her Zarges cases that fit castors and can be rolled out and placed in her fj60 in a moments notice. Very modular, and with an outlay of what, say $1000.00 for expedition quality cases, you're done. That's a lot different than $10,000-$20,000 for a trailer.

I also like the fact that I own my XJ, that theres a huge aftermarket to build it how I want it, and that I'm not tied to a $450.00 payment every month. I daily drive my XJ every day and will be running a heavy duty suspension, roof rack, winch bumper with winch, trail armor, and probably will still get 18mpg if I do it right.

This can be done with an Xterra, or an Excursion, or a 4runner. For us an SUV "just fits" our lifestyle. To "heck" with the greenies..lol.

my .03 cents worth...

EDIT: Oh, and I recommend having an operable window for every occupant. You can fit 5 in a FJcruiser, but the windows in the back aren't operable, very closed in feeling after a long time in the car. a four door pickup, or SUV provides this very well. Some models of 4runner actually have a roll-down rear window that provides flowthru ventilation and even the dog would have a window...haha. :D

Last edited:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Tiger CX

These beasts seem to have a good reputation. At least one family of ex motorcylists love theirs - lived in it for a few years around Latin America.

http://www.tigermotorhomes.com/

You can read their story here: http://www.travelin-tortuga.com/Site/Home_Page.html

N.B. Other than drooling, I have no personal experience with one of these. :drool:

If you are not moving every night, you might be better off with a larger ground tent or a tent mounted trailer. That way you can go 'wheelin' and return to an established camp at night.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Some models of 4runner actually have a roll-down rear window that provides flowthru ventilation and even the dog would have a window...haha. :D

Minor correction:

ALL 4runners have a roll-down rear window. ;)

This came in very handy yesterday while carrying a canoe on the roof. We stopped at the Ranger station to check in to the reservoir and the Ranger had to inspect our safety gear, which was in the back of the 4runner. I didn't want to unhook the rear strap holding on the canoe, which I would have had to do if I wanted to open the lift gate.

I was a little embarrassed when the Ranger said "Why don't you just roll down the back window?"

:eek:

OOps! Hey, I've only owned this vehicle for a couple of months! Anyway, window rolled down and she was able to inspect our gear without unhooking the straps. Very convenient.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
BTW I'll echo the group here and say you should probably start off with a tent, just because that's the easiest/cheapest solution. If it fits your needs, great, if not, you can upgrade.

There are so many variables that the ultimate answer will be what your preferences are. Can you live without running water? Without real beds? Are you willing to accept the hassles that come along with trailers? Are you willing to live with the limitations that would be imposed by a cabover-type camper or a motorhome?

Only you know the answer to these questions.

I think your idea of the towbehind is great - you might look at the Go. Some of the design and technology is not readily apparent at first glance, so don't use "internet math" to discount them right off the bat - I dig them - http://www.sylvansport.com/

$6200 and that doesent even include table and awning?!?!?
Cool concept, if they could bring it down to around 2k

I would definitely build up to a 60k set up instead of spending the money and figuring out its not ideal. Sportsmobile sounds like it would be perfect if you like the Westy.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
My 1st choice: Earthroamer :)

My 2nd & more realistic (for me) 4x4 Van!!

A truck with a slide in would also work well, it really depends on your personal preference & where you plan to take the vehicle.

bmwrider75

Thanks for all the replies everyone, most helpful.

Although it's certainly more economical, we really need something a bit more user-friendly than the tent/SUV approach. Ease/speed of setup, storage of kitchen supplies, etc., would be primary considerations. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that we might be considered "glampa" campers, at least these days. :coffee:

Which is why we're looking at van vs. truck camper vs. trailer vs. SUV/RTT, etc.

Food prep and sheltered living space are big concerns. The truck camper just seems so small inside that it's hard to imagine a family of four hanging out in the winter, or in nasty weather inside a truck camper.

SMB's look very cool. Big money too of course, but they do seem to improve on much of what we found lacking in the Westy. There's another Canadian company called Safari Condo that seems to be doing very nice van conversions using the Chevy platform instead, though it doesn't seem like those are very common.

The EarthRoamer looks like EXACTLY what I want.... me and a few others, I'd guess!
dc

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Look at the Tiger

If you want something smaller than an Earthroamer but larger than a van, take a good look at the Tiger CX. Company has been in business for a long time and their product shows the benefit. Also a VERY active owners group on Yahoo. Lots of exchange on what works, what doesn't, and how to bring older units up to modern spec.

78Bronco

Explorer
If you want something smaller than an Earthroamer but larger than a van, take a good look at the Tiger CX. Company has been in business for a long time and their product shows the benefit. Also a VERY active owners group on Yahoo. Lots of exchange on what works, what doesn't, and how to bring older units up to modern spec.

Those look really nice, especially the stupid duty!:Wow1: Great link

strider3700

Adventurer
I've been truck hunting for a few months now with similar needs driving the hunt. My end goal is the ability to fit 3 baby seats due to the new laws that will keep them in some form of booster seat until they are into their teens or over 4' tall which in my family is going to be teens. Finances are a big factor so I'm forced into the used vehicles.

I had started off looking for a larger SUV then the 4dr sidekick I currently have so I was looking at things like grand cherokee's, pathfinders, 4runners, old land cruisers, and when I started looking at the amount of stuff I haul on a regular basis I realized I'd need larger before I even considered camping. So we started looking at 7 passenger SUV's, so things like durangos, trailblazers, new pathfinders, new 4runners, land cruisers. Since we were looking big we even considered suburbans, excursions...

In the end I decided if I'm going to be getting something close to a full size pickup and it's going to get crappy mileage I might as well just get a crewcab shortbox full size. Then throw a canopy on the back and haul the tent and other necessities in the back. When we eventually decide a trailer or a camper is necessary the truck will easily be able to handle either and in the mean time I can haul dirt, lumber, whatever in the bed.

So the hunt is currently on for the right crew cab truck. I've noticed that this board seems to shy away from the full size trucks I'm assuming to get more off road capability/maneuverability but my needs will have me on roads 95% of the time and the off road needs will have me on gravel logging roads that a car could handle most of the time.

bmwrider75

I'm thinking the same thing. Probably will look at a 3/4 ton crew cab 4x4 pickup of some description. Very much the same reasoning as yours.

dc

jcbrandon

Explorer
... Probably will look at a 3/4 ton crew cab 4x4 pickup of some description...

I humbly recommend a good look at the Dodge Power Wagon. I've been extremely happy with mine. Fantastic in the dirt. Useful as only a pickup can be. Roomy. Luxurious, if that's what you're after.

And the gas mileage is not as bad as I thought it would be. I upgraded from a 2000 V8 Dakota that averaged about 17.5 mpg on a tank. The Power Wagon averages about 14.5 mpg on a tank. It is capable of nearly 16 on the highway if you stay under 60 mph. Yet the big truck has more than twice the hauling, towing, and passenger capacity as the Dakota.

One caution: The Power Wagon owners manual specifically says "no slide-in campers." My best guess is it is to avoid liability claims from high center of gravity accidents. I don't have a camper on my truck. I know of others who do and I have not read of any negative consequences.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles