80 series where to buy, what to look out for

pangaea

Adventurer
Maybe its the bad influence of all the Toyota folks on this board, but I'm considering picking up an 80 series. :D

Seriously though, its something that I've been considering for quite some time as an addition to the Rovers. I've narrowed the search to either a 96 or a 97. However, I wanted to tap into everyones collective wisdom as to where a good place to pick one up would be. I know I could go over to IH8Mud, but honestly I'd like one that's been well taken care of, and preferably never wheeled before. I plan on outfitting it for serious expedition use, and will probably take it on some long distance trips. Any suggestions other than the typical classifieds, autotrader, etc?

Also, does anyone know what the typical service life is on the 80 series engines. Common TLC gremlins to keep an eye out for mechanically?

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I check Denver's Craigslist everyday, looking for random stuff. Here's a listing of the Cruisers that have been offered lately - Landcruisers for sale in Denver area

The Denver auto page is quite active, much better than Salt Lake City's. I also check 'em on eBay all the time. There have been some good buys on eBay for 80's in the mid-west lately, if you have anyone out that way who can check it for you.

The biggest thing to watch out for, for anyone vehicle shopping right now, whether its an FJ80 with lockers or a 4 cyl Corolla commuter car, is make sure it didn't come from the areas flooded by Katrina & Rita. There will some great deals coming out of the gulf region on used cars, but the deal isn't that great if the car sat underwater for 2 weeks!

60seriesguy

Adventurer
Nathan, the availability and price elasticity of 80 series Cruisers has a lot to do with the markets into where they were originally sold into. Remember, the 80 series was very much considered a luxo SUV and marketed as such, despite the "wolf in sheep's clothing" facade. If you're not going to look locally, then focus on affluent suburbs of large cities where they sold high (relative) volumes and where they've since been replaced with newer, more luxurious SUVs by folks that were never interested in their 4wd capabilities and/or longevity.

Shoot for the newest available truck and don't bother with the non locker-equipped versions, in most cases there is very little (if any) price difference during initial purchase, but it will save you a lot of hassle and/or over $1,000+ worth of lockers later.

The 80 series (and I'm sure Schott's coming after me for this) was the high water mark of the Land Cruiser's offroad design and it takes very little (cheap coil lift, skidplate, sliders, a couple of bumpers and some decent tires) to set them up for serious off road use. There is a LOT of expedition-oriented aftermarket support for them as well, it's an excellent platform for the type of four wheeling you do.

Good luck and let us know if we can help with specific details. The 80 Series section on www.ih8mud.com is a great source of information for the model, make sure to check the archives of this very active group.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
60seriesguy said:
Shoot for the newest available truck and don't bother with the non locker-equipped versions, in most cases there is very little (if any) price difference during initial purchase, but it will save you a lot of hassle and/or over $1,000+ worth of lockers later.

The 80 series (and I'm sure Schott's coming after me for this) was the high water mark of the Land Cruiser's offroad design and it takes very little (cheap coil lift, skidplate, sliders, a couple of bumpers and some decent tires) to set them up for serious off road use. There is a LOT of expedition-oriented aftermarket support for them as well, it's an excellent platform for the type of four wheeling you do.

HA! I can't come after you for that. It's true. For severe off-roading the 80 was the apex in the line. I can come after you though for mis-spelling my name.

As for insisting on lockers? I agree IF you don't plan to re-gear. If you're going to regear (and I'm sure he is) then adding ARB lockers only costs you the parts.
For me it was MOST important that I get a truck from a dry climate. I did not want anything near snow or oceans, etc. I found that '97 Lexus without lockers and had to buy it. It lived in AZ, it's immaculate, and I'm not sad it doesn't have lockers. Obviously if you can find a locked one you're better off, BUT, I'd not trade a non-locked AZ-mobile for a locked road salt, ocean-spray mobile. My '93 was from Lincoln, NE. Won't EVER buy from that climate again (especially an 8-year old truck!).

pangaea

Adventurer
Thanks for the help everyone. I agree, the 80 series seems like an expedition rig. I think that thing that really helped me get the bug to pick one up, was that I recently helped outfit a couple of 80 ser trucks for a big expedition across Africa.

Seeing the actual dimensions on the truck, the huge cargo area, the mechanical reliability that comes with a Toyota, etc kind of put me over the edge.

Actually, my deep dark dirty secret is that I was doing a trip in Africa a couple of years ago, and one of our LR 110s broke. The rental company replaced it with a Land Cruiser. Since the trip was filled with a bunch of Rover nuts, I was the one who got "stuck" driving the Cruiser. Long story short, I was really impressed with Toyotas from that moment on.

pangaea

Adventurer
One more question: Is anyone aware of any long term issues with the mechanical reliability of the viscous coupling t-case on the 94-97 Cruisers during extended arduous use? Personally, I'm a bigger fan of traditional t-cases for a number of reasons (mechanical reliability being paramount).

pangaea

Adventurer
kcowyo said:
I check Denver's Craigslist everyday, looking for random stuff. Here's a listing of the Cruisers that have been offered lately -
The Denver auto page is quite active, much better than Salt Lake City's.

Great idea. Handn't even thought about there. Pretty decent collection, all things considered.

kcowyo said:
The biggest thing to watch out for, for anyone vehicle shopping right now, whether its an FJ80 with lockers or a 4 cyl Corolla commuter car, is make sure it didn't come from the areas flooded by Katrina & Rita. There will some great deals coming out of the gulf region on used cars, but the deal isn't that great if the car sat underwater for 2 weeks!

Good point. That's definitely something to keep an eye out for. I know what level of salinity the tidal surges introduced to that area, but any extended amount of time sitting in the water can't be good for it.

GeoRoss

Adventurer
I can't give you any real info on the T-case reliability.

As to finding an LC, patience is the word of the day. If you are convinced that you need e-lockers, take a double dose of patience as I think I saw on ih8mud they represent less than 10% of the LC's sold in NA. I personally would stay away from those in the rust belt. Mine had spent the majority of its life in AZ. I have had to replace alot of the rubber, but the payoff is when I removed the stock running boards I didn't need PB blaster, breaker bars or need to worry about busting a bolt/nut. They came off like butta.

Take a very careful look at the cooling system and signs of abuse. Some would say that one of the weak links with the FZJ's is that if the cooling system is not taken care of, there is an increase in overheating and head gasket failure. I have no personal experience on this and I'm just parroting what I have distilled from mud.

Ross

pangaea

Adventurer
GeoRoss said:
I can't give you any real info on the T-case reliability.

As to finding an LC, patience is the word of the day. If you are convinced that you need e-lockers, take a double dose of patience as I think I saw on ih8mud they represent less than 10% of the LC's sold in NA.

Interesting that it was such a small percentage. But I do think I'd rather wait for an e-locker equipped vehicle... As to patience, I've got plenty of that, thanks to the weather-imposed four wheeling season here in Colorado.

Scott Brady

Founder
Nathan,

We will keep an eye out for you here in AZ. There are many 80 series available in Prescott (mountain town, wealthier demographic, snow).

Having spent thousands of miles on the trail with the FZJ80's, they are most impressive. If I could have bought a new one in 2004, it would be in my driveway.

Make sure to search for the Lexus (LX450) variant too, as they are only re-badged.

pangaea

Adventurer
Scott,

Thanks I appreciate it. Here in Colorado, they use Mag Chlor on the roads instead of salt in the winter, but I'm not convinced that's any improvemnt. A Southern vehicle would certainly be nice.

MaddBaggins

Explorer
I haven't heard any xfer case issues and I know guys with rigs over 200k. Birfs need to be maintained every 60-70k, if they haven't been don't fear, they aren't grossly expensive for new ones. If you buy one, before wheeling with it DO take care of this http://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=6994
and http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_heater_hose.htm
This is known as the PHH - pesky heater hose. It has a habit of blowing after 100k or so letting loose all you coolant. The reason it is pesky is that it is difficult to get to.You don't want that to go while in the boonies.
Otherwise, if it looks good and sounds good, it prolly is good.
Oh, the 91-94 models have a beefier transmission than the 95-97 models and the 91-92 models have a weeker engine than the 93-97 models.
Good luck and welcome to the darkside :D

riverguide

Adventurer
Nathan I've got a white 4runner and it says toyota on it, looks really cool, has some sweet tires, doesn't have birfs or phh's, has a locker and some cool looking seat covers. I'm sure with some extra work I could make it look like an 80 series for you, then we can just trade "my 80" for your sweet disco..How's that sound? ;)

EDIT: and how could I forget. It's got 6 new lugs and lug nuts! what a deal.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Nathan...

Everyone has pretty much summed up the important issues.
1. Lockers...get them. Most people don't even know what that "little" switch is for.
2. Head Gasket (more common on later models 95-97)
3. PHH
4. Birfs, either make sure PO has done it or do it yourself (better of the two)
5. Cooling issues more associated with later years 1995-1997, the 1993-1994 have a 3 row radiator (I think). People with the superchargers have to really be aware of this.
6. My 94 and some others have issues with floor heat on the passenger side front, and the rear under the second row seats on long trips. Some say it dissapates with Heat shielding under the floor mats.
7. Slee is a wealth of information, as is ih8mud. Check out them for more information.

That's all I can think of...for now.
I will keep an eye out for you in the San Diego area. Let me know what years you are looking for and your price range.

:jump:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles