Picked up a free dirt bike....

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
I should of never taken that free bike dang it! I've rode it twice and now im looking at other bikes like the KLR650 :(

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I see small bikes kind of like a .22LR rifle. You shoot it a bit and you start looking at bigger, more powerful calibers. After having your shoulder beat up by those bigger, more powerful calibers for a while you find that for just plinking only the .22LR's are making the trip. Then you have a lot of $$$ tied up in something that rarely gets used. BT, DT & learned from it. I think. :sombrero:

EMrider

Explorer
Congrats. The KDX200 is an amazingly simple and reliable bike. Not surprised it fired up after sitting for so long.

I see small bikes kind of like a .22LR rifle. You shoot it a bit and you start looking at bigger, more powerful calibers. After having your shoulder beat up by those bigger, more powerful calibers for a while you find that for just plinking only the .22LR's are making the trip. Then you have a lot of $$$ tied up in something that rarely gets used. BT, DT & learned from it. I think. :sombrero:

That was exactly my experience. For offroad and non-highway dualsporting, a 250cc bike meets my needs just fine.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Ok, so im listening to you guys. Im keeping the bike and riding it for now. If i fall in love, and i know i will... i'll get something else later. But for now.. im sticking with it and making it new again. Here's my list from working on it a bit tonight..

Air Filter
Front Fender Plastic
Side Fender Plastic
Headlight and # Plate
New Grips
New Handlebars (these look bent slightly)
Rear Tire
Front Tire (depends how bad this one is, looks fine/not cracked)
New Fuel Lines from Carb/tank area (one leaks, mine as well do them all)

Tonight i cleaned the bike more and tried to find the fuel leak from under the tranny.
It's one of the 3 clear hoses and i don't know which so i'll just replace all.
Also i checked the electrical with my meter. Good to go, the stator is putting out 12
volts. All lines for the headlight, rear lights and a 3rd (im thinking
for the odometer?) are showing power. So that's good. Also i noticed tonight the
mechanical cable coming from the hub for the tripometer... thats' good, its still there and
in great shape, just duct taped to the fork up high. I also adjusted the rear brake tonight.
Seems 10x better than before. May need to re-do both front and rear brakes.

Should i get a new chain?

So all in all im in for a couple hundred.... not too bad. And i found a OEM tripometer on Ebay so hopefully i can find another when it comes time. Wish i had money right now, i'd be ordering all these parts tonight!

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
A new chain will prolong the life of the sprockets. Assuming they're not toast too. I wouldn't bother with anything that isn't an O-ring chain. MISF still chain waxes the snot out of his o-ring chains and had me do it to mine as well. I give it spray every once in a while. Cleaner in the dirt than oily type lubes, but not quite as good at rust prevention.

Oni

Adventurer
Hey Dave

I think you'll have to clean the carb out. The fuel coming out the hose is probably due to a stuck valve seat assembly or bad float. All the jets are probably all gummed up too.

Check Baja Designs for dual sport kits. I have one on my plated XR400. :bike_rider:

Cruiser

Adventurer
Look up Jeff Freddette,, He was and still is the man when it comes to the KDX 200.. Has new and used parts and info you can only find from Him.. He competed on the KDX its entire production range.. I had a 1983 with a 240 kit.. way fun.. aslo had a 87 and a 91..
great bikes..

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Cruiser, awesome stuff.. i checked out his website a while back.. im totally buying some items off him.

Now im worried about how much it could cost to register this bike?.. the green tag is from 2003 and i didn't get any paperwork with the bike. It's not stolen, the owner past away and it was in a business partners custody.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior