My New Camper Set Up

thecriscokid

Explorer
Here is my new set up. I have been having a bit of Westfalia withdraw and my wife and I are taking off for a 3 week trip. It was time to get started on some cabinets. I forgot to get a pic of the right side cabinet open. It opens down, has a drawer slide to fit an Engel 45 fridge (maybe in the spring!)
I still have a few things to finish up. Another run to the hardware store for a few more hinges, trim and backing for the cabinets. I'm going to wait until I get to Cali to find some nice Marine grade hasps and closures for the doors.

IMG_6363.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_6364.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_6365.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_6366.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_6368.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_6367.jpg
[/IMG]

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Cozy; great job.

I keep running pickup truck dreambuilds through my head; it's good to see somebody doing it.

theMec

Adventurer
Nice Job! Windoors are the best. We're thinking alike but I need room for 3 to sleep so all my gear is stored below. I wish I had the vertical space for a fridge. Are you using an aux battery for the fridge? You might (or not) get some ideas from my build thread (in my sig).
steve

thecriscokid

Explorer
Thanks guys,
The idea is that my wife and I can sit upright inside, lounge, and sleep comfortably, 3 can sleep in a pinch. 2 on the bed and a 3rd on the cabinets, but it would probably have to be blowing snow sideways or something pretty harsh. That, and my truck usually only carries 2 people. Bikes can still be rolled in with both wheels and tied moto style.

I will set up a dual battery before the fridge and other fun electronics. Right now I don't have any fun electronics (I'm kind of o.k. with that for now)

Next to do is install LED light strips that run off 12v that my interior lighting design neighbor passed along to me. I have 2 6v batteries linked and I was told this should last about 100hrs.

The blank counter top may turn into a stove??

I had a lot of Euro influence from Innovation Campers and the German blood in my veins didn't hurt. Metric measurement does rule!

D

Deleted member 9101

Is that a Tundra or T-100? You have seriously got me thinking of changing my plans and getting a camper shell for my truck.

thecriscokid

Explorer
Is that a Tundra or T-100? You have seriously got me thinking of changing my plans and getting a camper shell for my truck.

It's a '00 Tundra. Same bed size as the T100. My shell was from a T100.
It's actually great because my closest friends have Tundras and T100's so this whole set up can be transferred into there rig.
In fact, When I return from my 3 weeks away, my topper/ camper is probably going for another 2 week surf trip without me in the back of another Tundra.
This topper is about 6" taller than my cab. I don't think I could deal with a std flush top. I can sit up on the bed/bench (I'm 6'0)

You can always take the shell of when you don't need it. This set up can be taken apart and back to a truck bed in 15 minutes! If that.
Taking the topper off is best with 2 people but it's not heavy.

D

Deleted member 9101

It's a '00 Tundra. Same bed size as the T100. My shell was from a T100.
It's actually great because my closest friends have Tundras and T100's so this whole set up can be transferred into there rig.
In fact, When I return from my 3 weeks away, my topper/ camper is probably going for another 2 week surf trip without me in the back of another Tundra.
This topper is about 6" taller than my cab. I don't think I could deal with a std flush top. I can sit up on the bed/bench (I'm 6'0)

You can always take the shell of when you don't need it. This set up can be taken apart and back to a truck bed in 15 minutes! If that.
Taking the topper off is best with 2 people but it's not heavy.

Nice, i am suddenly in the planning stages for somethign very similar. Thanks for posting the pics of your set-up, they have been very swaying..lol

thecriscokid

Explorer
I'll try to get some finished product pics up as well. Just taking a little break from tacking on the cabinet backing and a few odds and ends.
Good luck planning it out.

bajadulce

Very nice and excellent design. I love it. Well thought out.

Can that half of the bed be used as a backrest? And where does it reside when not in use? Is it part of the bench?

How bout a fold out table so you aren't hunched over the counter when you eat?

I'd just stick with a portable camp stove if I were you. They are cheap and don't rattle as much. They can be packed away and even used outside if the weather is really nice.

15 minutes to take apart! Nice design... but I already said that. :)

Esmi

Explorer
Cool deal.

Will you tell me about you latching system to close/open the doors from inside? Can you latch yourself in? Can you unlatch yourself? Do you simply leave the lift-up topper doors unlatched when inside?

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94