G-Wagen vs. TLC 70/80

michaelgroves

Explorer
Or a 40yo Land Rover, doing what's presumably light retirement duty:

2004-12-17 10-02-17.jpg

The point is, all of these are good vehicles, and none of them is better in every respect than the others. So which you rate "best" overall is a personal opinion, based on your perception of its charateristics, and your personal judgment of which characteristics are most important.

You can be of the opinion that the G-Wagen (or even, for that matter, the Gurkha) is the finest 4x4 in the world, but it's a matter of judgment not fact.

dclee

Observer
The lowest point on Gurkha is at 238mm with standard 16" 7.50x16 tires. Can you tell me whats the factory claim in mm of the TLC you mention, would be interesting to know. Driveline vibrations means harmonics will eventually get better of the components, no matter I see quite a few TLCs with worn out flanges.

Mog was not meant to be highway driven although the Brabus I drove in Germany was not too shabby on highway. You don't buy a Mog to do a duty of a Mall cruiser like the TLC. You do serious off road with it.

Factory spec on the FZJ80 is what I said, 274 mm. That bears out in real life. And go back and read again what I said about the driveline vibes. They do NOT happen in factory stock Cruisers. They only happen when you start radically lifting the trucks (suspension lifts, not body lifts), and this also happens to the G (and Gurkha) as well as any other vehicle where you start altering driveline geometry. It's just physics.

As for the MOG, the 404 actually was intended for highway use (militaries don't use the back country to transfer men and materiel unless they have to). It's just that speed limits (and the speed of other traffic) was much lower I believe back in the 50's and 60's. But anyway, my main point was that they are not pleasant to wheel, not nearly as pleasant as a Land Cruiser. But I never disputed that they are just about the most capable factory stock vehicles on the planet.

See, this kind of discourse I have no problem with. Just leave the fanatical dogma at the door and let's have an intelligent discussion. I will reply by saying that, on a purely academic basis, this "debate" has been enlightening to me because I found out that there is a licensed version of the G-Wagen being produced in India with a fully tubed chassis. Very cool stuff. But again, let's keep it apples to apples. Real Land Cruiser and real G (and Gurkha, Defender, Patrol, etc.). Let's not start comparing them to lighter duty vehicles like the FJ Cruiser, 4Runner, GLK, ML, Pathfinder, Freelander, etc. :beer:

edit: Which, BTW, also have their own legitimate uses and advantages.

Last edited:

dclee

Observer
Guys take all your quarreling / mines better than yours cr@p to another thread! :violent-smiley-031:

This is G-forces build up thread. btw she's a beaut mate - can't wait to see what you come up with!

I agree. Not sure why someone decided to have a go at Toyota on this thread, but sometimes I just can't let it go when people post outright falsehoods. I think it's a disservice to folks who are trying to get some real factual information. Unless more disinformation is posted, I'm done with this line of thought.

dclee

Observer
You can be of the opinion that the G-Wagen (or even, for that matter, the Gurkha) is the finest 4x4 in the world, but it's a matter of judgment not fact.

Nice Series Rover, BTW. I love those trucks. Can't even get Defenders here anymore. :(

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I cannot believe I just read this whole thread. This is extremely sad. Brand bashing of any sort will not be tolerated on this site. That is stated in the rules when you sign up. Everyone has a personal opinion, and different vehicles work for different people. All have their strong points and their weak points. People buy what they like and what works for them. What really gets me fuming angry is the low road this thread has taken. Gforce was showing us his truck. I was very impressed. Have any of you noticed that he has not posted up again since the bashing started? Gforce, as a long time member of this forum, though not a moderator, I would like to offer an apology for the course your thread has taken. Please, lets get this back on track. Gforce, please share more with us on your build up. I was very curious and interested.

Mods, is it possible to remove all of the posts not related to the build up of Gforce's truck? I think most of us would like that. Thank you.

Gurkha

Adventurer
Toyota fans come to a G Wagen thread and start comparing their vehicle to the G, then they try and make it right by justifying their behavior. There is a seperate Toyota thread running at this forum, they are welcome to post about their favorite vehicle there. No need to come raining down a G Wagen thread and start a comparison war.

If I as a G Wagen owner praise my vehicle and call it the best, most durable and reliable off roader ever built (which in reality it is notwithstanding) on a thread dedicated to the G Wagen, I have every right to do so and no Toyota or any other fanboi has the right to rain on my parade provided I don't bring any direct comparison. Also there is no reason to make any direct comparison because the others are simply not in the class of the G.

G-Wagen.jpg

dclee

Observer
Toyota fans come to a G Wagen thread and start comparing their vehicle to the G, then they try and make it right by justifying their behavior. There is a seperate Toyota thread running at this forum, they are welcome to post about their favorite vehicle there. No need to come raining down a G Wagen thread and start a comparison war.

Hey, don't look at me. I didn't bring up Toyota. See post #12 for that. And see post #15 for when the mud and falsehoods started being slung.

I have owned four Mercedes and three Toyota trucks (see my sig). I think that hardly qualifies me as a Toyota worshiper. As I have reiterated several times, I like all of these trucks, they all have strengths and weaknesses, and to say that the G is in a class of its own is just blind zealotry. But I guess Christian was right about that. So how about this: G-Wagens and Gurkhas suck, UNIMOGs destroy them.

BTW, your ongoing use of terms like "Tonka Toy" and "Toyota fanboi" continue to demonstrate your high level of maturity...

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Toyota fans come to a G Wagen thread and start comparing their vehicle to the G, then they try and make it right by justifying their behavior... blah blah blabity blah

Last time I swear: I wish there was a "Shakes-head-slpas-forehead-rolls-eyes" emoticon because you sir deserve it... You clearly don't get what has been asked of us all and that is: we quit our yapping over brand loyalty and get back to G-Force's amazing truck...

Like I said: G-Force we need some pics of this beauty to get us over this hump :D ...

Oh and question about your truck (I'll look back through the thread and see if I can deduce this myself but...) : Does it have the Checkerboard "Tweed" seats??? And how are your Lockers actuated, levers/plungers between the seats or buttons on the dash (was there a middle location-from between the seats to on top of the HVAC stack- in the evolution of the controls)???

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:

dclee

Observer
If I remember correctly about G-Force's truck from the PointedThree forum (and also going by the build year), it is actually a 460 with the trim redone with 463 bits (nose, bumpers, etc.). So I would assume it has the mechanical plunger activated lockers. There was no middle position, all 460s and 461s have had the locker actuation plungers in the same location since 1979.

G-Force: have we scared you off? Please come back! ;)

Last edited:

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer
As for eating G alive with lockers, I seriously doubt that, the G chassis can take torture that would wring the TLC chassis to a twist. I have seen cases of idler arm shearing off from TLC chassis, nothing like that ever happens with G. My friend in South Africa has owned both G and TLC, he has praise for both but he found out that the TLC chassis to take far less attrition than the G. So yes, TLC is great and apart from G, its the best. It will never be a G of course.

This is just so typical "Mine is bigger than yours" stuff. I don't know where you get your TLC info from? Maybe you have never owned one? The G-wagen is a decent vehicle but a proper built TLC will definitely out perform a G-wagen off road, any day of the week. I would put my 100 series behind that. As for strength, the 100 series frame is much stronger than even an 80 series, the engine has much more power and the transmission is heavier duty. Give me the cash to build my 100 up the way I like, triple locked etc and meet me at the trail. Try to follow.
:ylsmoke:

PS- Gotta love stirring **** up hahaha

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer

If I as a G Wagen owner praise my vehicle and call it the best, most durable and reliable off roader ever built (which in reality it is notwithstanding) on a thread dedicated to the G Wagen, I have every right to do so and no Toyota or any other fanboi has the right to rain on my parade provided I don't bring any direct comparison. Also there is no reason to make any direct comparison because the others are simply not in the class of the G.

So you would rather have all your G-Wagen friends sit around and tell you how wonderful your G-Wagen is over a TLC, yet you don't want to answer to any TLC owners for your bad-mouthing of THEIR favorite vehicle? Sounds so snobbish to me. If you can't stand the heat, ********.
:coffeedrink:

Gurkha

Adventurer
I can stand it well, don't you worry, its the Tonka boyz who have the issue. Seems like I have rattled one, well you have the choice to ********. Again, this is a G thread, we are here cause we own these vehicles, admire them and consider them to be the best on earth, some of us myself inclufed are also ex Tonka Toy owners. The dising started with Toyota boyz talking about how a Tonka would eat a G with lockers and not otherwise and ruined a perfectly good thread.

dclee

Observer
The dising started with Toyota boyz talking about how a Tonka would eat a G with lockers and not otherwise and ruined a perfectly good thread.

Wow, this guy is unbelievable! Hey Gurkha, I don't know if you have selective memory or what, but reading is FUNdamental! Go back and read my previous post, then go back and read post #15 in this thread, where you start harping on how weak the Cruiser is. There was no problem with this thread until you made that post. The finger pointing starts by looking in the mirror. But I accept some responsibility for not having the good sense to back down when it became obvious this was no longer an intellectual debate.

edit: BTW, "Toyota boyz"??? What are you, 15 years old? First of all, you don't own and wheel both trucks. I do. Secondly, you mistakenly compare a G to an FJ Cruiser! I just can't help but laugh at that one! Should I then compare a Land Cruiser to a GLK? I swear, this is no longer a debate, it's like talking to some of my wife's middle school students. IOW, a waste of time.

G-Force and others, I humbly apologize for the turn this thread has taken. I will refrain from further comment, even though I know the insults are coming. Asbestos suit on!

Last edited:

mrbishi

Adventurer
my god give it a rest everyone - Gurkha and the Toyota people please stop posting in this thread full stop. It's getting REALLY annoying. If you don't have anything to add about G-Forces rig DON'T POST AT ALL!!!

Where are the mods when we need them!!!!

Gurkha

Adventurer
Wow, this guy is unbelievable! Hey Gurkha, I don't know if you have selective memory or what, but reading is FUNdamental! Go back and read my previous post, then go back and read post #15 in this thread, where you start harping on how weak the Cruiser is. There was no problem with this thread until you made that post. The finger pointing starts by looking in the mirror.

edit: BTW, "Toyota boyz"??? What are you, 15 years old? First of all, you don't own and wheel both trucks. Secondly, you mistakenly compare a G to an FJ Cruiser! I just can't help but laugh at that one! Should I then compare a Land Cruiser to a GLK? I swear, this is no longer a debate, it's like talking to some of my wife's middle school students. IOW, a waste of time.

G-Force and others, I humbly apologize for the turn this thread has taken. I will refrain from further comment, even though I know the insults are coming. Asbestos suit on!

So now the insults are getting personal. My response was to the Toyota guy declaring on reliability and off road ability of the G vis a vis a Toyota with lockers.

Now go back to elementary school kiddo and try and look at all the posts, you will see how one of you Toyota boyz came around and ruined this entire thread.

I apologize to G Force as this thread is totally ruined but then its about G Wagen and Toyota has no place here, no matter what. Time and again, Toyota boys keep responding with crud like 278mm of ground clearance Toyota with lockers running circles around the G Wagen. They have a place to write that and thats the Toyota thread, certainly not a thread about G Wagen.

This truly needs to be stopped, Toyota fans should post on their thread as we G fans do. This is my last post regarding this and mods must take notice now. Please limit Toyota fans to their own thread where they are free to bash others or praise their own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles