Lobo Mod, Bluetooth GPS/Car PC Info, Snow Pics

jingram

Adventurer
OK, finally got a chance to get out a bit today. I am attaching pictures of my implementation of the lobo mod and a couple of blurry ones of my bluetooth GPS setup and the Pocket PC I am using for navigation duty.

Here is the lobo rack loaded up. Overall it works pretty good. It is very quiet on the road. It does get a bit jumpy offroad, but nothing too bad at all. I went with a bungy based setup so it wouldn't rattle and it would "float" with the bumps and jars of the road

img5023exposuremediumap1.jpg

Next up is the bluetooth GPS unit that I am using. I am using the i-Blue 737 setup. I went with this guy for a number of reasons compared to a sirf3 setup. The MTX chipset is getting rave reviews about sensitivity and power usage and this guy had an auto on/auto off function that is working awesome! I leave it on in the Xterra all the time and it goes to sleep and only wakes up again if it comes into contact with a paired bluetooth device. So far I am very very pleased.

iblue737edition2x200uh1.gif

Here are some links to more info:

http://www.buygpsnow.com/i-blue-edition-2-i-blue-737-high-sensitivity-bluetooth-gps-receiver-32-channel-waas-auto-on-off-679.aspx

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=67511

In the Xterra:

img5024exposuremediumje3.jpg

For the Pocket PC I decided to get a 12v All in One holder from Gomadic.
Overall it is working pretty well, but it is a bit too close to the wiper controls and the mount needs one more pivot point to make me happy. Nice quality product though.

http://www.gomadic.com/dell-axim-x30-powered-lighter-car-auto-mount-pda-phone-holder-gps-ready.html

In the Xterra:

img5025exposuremediumum6.jpg

I think I will end up going with a carputer somewhere in the future. This is what I am currently eyeing for a monitor. Its a dual din touch screen lcd, very nice looking with built in cd/dvd and amp for your tunes. Simply mate it to a car PC and you are in business.

dscn4617sc0.jpg

More info it:

http://www.audiopce.com/Products_Review.html

http://pandainnovations.com/store/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,77/category_id,21/manufacturer_id,0/

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79168&page=16

And finally some pics of the X up in the snow today. This was only my second time out and about with her. She did really well with her new shoes.

img5038exposuremediumik1.jpg

img5039exposuremediumdn0.jpg

img5040exposuremediumru2.jpg

This one doesn't show it that well, but the road literally turned into a creek bed.... water was just running off like crazy.

img5043exposuremediumbx5.jpg

img5051exposuremediumly0.jpg

Jack

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Looks Great Jack!

I too am using the Ax 30, but had my mount start on fire:exclaim: So I too am leaning towards the CarPC as the next step. For the monitor you have selected I would be cautious of the motorized screens, as they tend to fail under heavy vibrations. As much as you may not want to do it, but modifying a 7" custom to fit in your dash might be a better idea to play with. It is an awesome solution for a normal car guy, but honestly would not hold up to the off-road environment I'd put it through.

The Xterra is what my wife calls a "Belly Button vehicle" because every one has one. (Like my Tacoma) I am sure you could find plenty of Ideas over on MP3car.com's forum for another option if you chose that route.

We are currently eying up the X for our next vehicle. How does it perform on and off the road? My concern at first was the high number of rollovers, but I can't talk driving a Taco. Most people I have talked to about them love them and have not had any issues. Any advice?

articulate

Expedition Leader
I like your style: high tech mods are pretty fun (bluetooth GPS, pocket PC).

What are the dimensions of the lobo mod, and are you saying that thing is hanging from the ceiling by bungees? Pretty slick idea. I think I want one. Perhaps a nice place to stuff a jacket, hat, etc. Stuff that you don't need until you get out and would otherwise turn the backseat into a pile-o-stuff.

:beer:
Mark

jingram

Adventurer
FlyingWil,

Yeah, I have a couple of friends who have gone down the carpc route before. The reason guys are getting excited about that unit I posted is because there is talk about the manufacturer fitting a nano itx board in there so it will be an all-in-one dual din unit. There have been a pile of guys ordering them up on the mp3car forums. That is how I found out about the unit. Most places are on backorder for them. It will be interesting to see how further reviews pan out for it. So far it is the most promising unit I have seen. I've thought about modifying the dash to take a standard 7" screen like a xenarc, but most likely will wait until these new units hit to see how they work out for guys. There is one guy on one of the Xterra boards who did a pretty trick custom mount xenarc in his center console, with integrated buttons, etc., but that is more work than I am most likely willing to put in. I'm glad you mentioned the motorized issue as I the vehicle will be spending a substantial amount of time offroad. I'll definitely keep the forum here posted on what route I take.

So far, I really like the X. I have had it for approx. a month now and have put a number of miles on it. You do see them everywhere, lol. I never noticed how many were out there until I bought one. I ended up buying one because I have had great luck with Nissan vehicles, I wanted something no frills but still rugged and capable for what I would be doing to it, something affordable, and that had enough support for me to make it expedition capable. I wanted something with lower miles and it had to make me feel good about it. I honestly like how utilitarian the 2 gen troopers were the best. Problem was that I couldn't find one with low miles and with Isuzu being nearly a non existent US operation anymore, I didn't want to go down that road. I considered 4Runners and Cruisers, but mileage ruled out the Cruisers (I know they go forever) and my quasi father in law already has an FJ80. The 4Runners in the vintage I was looking at just didn't do it for me.

People complain about the 1st gen X being low on power, but to be honest it does fine for me. Plenty of torque down low. Compared to the old trooper, well there is no comparison, LOL. I have no problem cruising at highway speeds, passing, going over passes, etc.

I have had a number of nissan trucks through the years and I have never been let down. Most of my family drives Toyota or Domestic Full size vehicles, but Nissan has always been a pretty good fit for me on the truck side.

I can say that the LSD is really terrible. Nissan for whatever reason dropped the breakaway torque from the 280ish ft lbs of torque on the old pathfinders to the 180ish on the 00-02 Xterra to 40ish ft lbs on the 03-04. Since it is a clutch pack based LSD some guys have rebuilt them with pathfinder clutch packs with great results, but it from the factory it might as well not have one. The fuel economy certainly isn't the best either, although when is it ever? I looked long and hard at brand new ones, but I stole this 04 at 14k so I told myself that I will revisit this all again when the diesels start to hit from the various manufacturers.

Overall, it does great onroad and has been great offroad. No issues at all yet... knock on wood! The VG series of motor has been around for a lot of years and in the hardbody/pathfinders they routinely go 250k + so I expect good longevity out of it. Now, if I could only get ARB or schrockworks to make a nice replacement roof rack!

Mark,

Yeah the high tech stuff can be fun. Somehow along the way I ended up in the field so go figure. Next up though are better shocks and new torsion bars/rear shackles, lol.

I will have to go out and get dimensions for the shelf. It is a rubbermaid storage shelf which I picked up at HD. If I remember correctly it was 24". It fit fine, but when things got crazy it would swing and bang into the side windows so I ended up trimming it down and now it is perfect. Guys usually use a snap shackles,caribiners, etc. That was way too noisy for me, as this bungee setup was silent. Although, one guy showed his setup the other day and he took and plasticoated his stuff and said that was the cure, so I might give that a go. Overall it is a cheap mod for the X and works out well. I keep a bunch of crap up there in the car 24/7 now. I even have some fishing gear up there in addition to the maglight, heavy duty tow straps, gloves, jacket, MREs, compas, etc, etc. When I want to toss stuff up there I simply push down on the rack and slide my stuff up on it. I then use baby bungies to strap it down, plus I have an atv net that goves over the smaller stuff in addition. I haven't gone through a newer Frontier like you have so I am not sure it would applicable to your rig. I know guys in the new Xterras do the mod all the time as shown in that last post by Bergger.

:beer:

Jack

flyingwil

jingram said:
Overall, it does great onroad and has been great offroad. No issues at all yet... knock on wood! The VG series of motor has been around for a lot of years and in the hardbody/pathfinders they routinely go 250k + so I expect good longevity out of it. Now, if I could only get ARB or schrockworks to make a nice replacement roof rack!

Jack, thanks for the reply! Calmini Products makes a great rack for them! Here is the link.
xroofrack.jpg

Calmini said:
This is a real roof rack for your XTERRA with carrying capability. The design uses all steel construction throughout for maximum strength under extreme off-road conditions. Designed to replace the factory original equipment rack using factory mounting points for a complete bolt-on installation. The rack’s design has 5" side rails that follow the roof's contour conforming to 8" at the forward end of the rack. This gives real useable cargo area to this vehicle. The factory sunroof opens using this rack! Also included are 4 tabs for mounting driving lights. Kits is UPS shippable and is entirely bolt-on. Finished in matching Nissan Gray powdercoat. This rack compliments all of our exterior options for your X.

jingram

Adventurer
Wil,

Thanks for the link. I've seen pictures of the Calmini unit on the X and it seems like it would do the trick, but I would end up putting a a bottom into it etc. Also, a couple of the reviews I read said that guys had problems with fitment although that sounds like those were issues with an early run of them. I've actually been eyeing these:

gobi1ui5.jpg

gobi2ot2.jpg

The thing the Calmini unit has going for it is cost. That Gobi unit with ladder is 1199 without shipping! I really like that new one that ARB has put out for the FJ, now that is one good looking rack! :D

Jack

flyingwil

They both look alike. Looks like you could get the Calmini unit, and mod it to be the same as the Gobi, no?

I know Chuck is using Kennel Flooring for the bottom of his rack. Have you contacted ARB to see if they will have one out for the X?

jingram

Adventurer
Yeah I have thought about just picking up the calmini and modifying it to suit my needs and most likely that is what I will end up doing because of the substantial cost differences. I also need to contact Gobe and see if it is possible to just buy their mounting feet. If so, then I might just build my own or have some friends who make their living from welding aluminum work something up for me. I doubt very much Gobi would be willing to do that, but you never know. I haven't yet contacted ARB but supposedly guys on XOC and Xterrafirma have and since it is not a model sold in Australia they have not been willing to go down that route. Certainly didn't stop them with the FJ though eh, lol.

Jack

nice work with the hanging rack :cool:. i've been thinking of working up something similar, to keep lightweight stuff like sleeping bags and tents high and dry in the bed of the truck. it would even work well in the back seat, since i rarely use it...and it's always a "pile of stuff" back there now :p.

how did you secure it to the walls/ceiling etc.?

-sean

jingram

Adventurer
Well I used the 4 built in hangers that came with the X and used a bungie system to keep it in place. It works very well. I just did a 180 mile round trip run through the middle of the Oregon Coast Range and it works very well offroad. It also works very well onroad. I never bother to take it out of the vehicle since the bungie setup acts like a free floating suspension of sorts and keeps it very quiet.

Here is a pic of what one of the built in hangers looks like.

79936wd223intalledzd8.jpg

Replacements are $7.17 from xterraparts.com

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Nice lookin truck, I saw the snow pics and imediatly scrolled back up and sure enough you're an Oregonian too!!!!

jingram

Adventurer
Thanks man... yeah, Oregonian here. Those pics were up near Santiam Pass. I did a great trip through the heart of the coast range where the old mill town of valsetz used to be about a week before the Kim family got into trouble down in the Siskiyous. Took the camera but of course left the CF card at the house.... so, I will be taking it again soon. You really need to be a local or have a GPS to do the trip though because of the maze of logging roads up there... Anyway, I'll be posting more mods soon. I will be making the move on some new suspension bits and a new rack here shortly. I'll be looking forward to hearing more about your 1KZ-TE swap. The diesel bug has me pretty bad.... lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior