Which Enduro helmet to purchase?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
While there a few out there the SHOEI Hornet-DS caught my eye and so did the cost. I know there are more out there and while I have a cheapo dirt bike helmet and goggles a figured for a 6000 mile enduro trip a better helmet would be a must.

A

Last edited by a moderator:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
A lot depends on the shape of your melon.

A bad fitting helmet can ruin a great ride so take your time get the one that is comfortable. Cost will long forgotten if it fits right. Buffeting can also be a problem so do your research.

For dual sport my head likes the Arai XD

Alacrity

I have a Shoei head. I took a Shoei DS in Jan when we chased Dakar. So did my riding partner. Worked well, dust wasnt as problematic as I'd figured, vented very well - use a SixSixOne Fenix and M2R Rev 3 (since the Fenix vents like crap) - was worried the Shoei would be to hot. Easy enough to flip the visor and use Oakley O frames (fit best) when necessary. Help vent even better.

We both felt it was the best of both worlds. Its held up very well

ATM you can find them being discounted as Snell 2010 is coming in. Local shop has them for sub $350.

Otherwise I have heard people recommend the Airoh Tyger

S411.jpg

Now replaced by the S4

09-camo_fb.jpg

or the AFX FX-37 (now FX37-DS new for 2010).

Friends have the AFX - I've handled the Tyger. They meet good standards, but they arent as durable, quiet, comfortable, vent as well or are as well made. The shields optical clarity suck - distortion was readily apparent. Friend has had issues with the AFX liners and trim. But they both are about a third what the Shoei costs.

Last edited:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Well maybe $500 isn't so bad after all...... god buy super charger goodbye rear tire carrier......... hello pre owned adventure bike hello 55mpg hello whats that well fine I guess I'll sleep on the couch then.

A

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
How much is your head worth?
Not $500

mine is worth considerable more...........a helmet whilst being
just a legal requirement is an insurance policy.

Childrens toys made in china fall apart after a week

when i fall off big time or get hit by the average dozy driver,

i want to survive with all my faculties intact........

I just bought a skull lid for my dirt bike at almost $700....yes the price hurt

but when i fall, cos it will happen

At least my head will have a pretty good chance of surviving

Oh and the plus sides

removable liner
gold standard(race)
front inner lining removable so that a neck brace can be fitted before removing the helmet
graphics ---wicked but thats a personal view

a $ 100 helmet is fine if you never intend to fall off, sweat, want ventilation, and easy strap adjustment.

like most things you get what you pay for

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
like most things you get what you pay for

but a lot of what you are paying for is ventilation and features (removable liners, tinted visor, etc).

Just because a helmet only costs $100, doesn't mean it is junk...at the end of the day, all DOT approved helmets are tested to the same standards. Yea, maybe some exceed those standards, but the price tag doesn't tell you if they did or did not.

In the end, any DOT approved helmet is better than no helmet.

FWIW, of the four helmets I have, the Shoei DS and Shoei RF-1000 are my favorites (in that order).

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
How much is your head worth?
Not $500

when i fall off big time or get hit by the average dozy driver,

i want to survive with all my faculties intact........

This will not likely happen as the average survival rate for Moto's vs. cars is grim at best.

A

1speed

Explorer
I have a Hornet DS and am very pleased with it. I bought mine at a local independent bike shop for $380. Superbikes, 239-939-7788, ask for Steve.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Do not really know anything about Enduro secific Helmets but when I used to ride I went down. It was almost really bad but thanks to the Shoei I walked away just sore, brused and covered in sand spurs. Took a head shot on a rock while playing superman. A car pulled out in front of me at 40 mph. Thank fully it was a glancing blow. Cracked the outer shell a bit but like I say walked away. Helmet was 45 minutes old.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
My CPA and soon to be riding buddy said either you ave a Arai head or a Shoei head. So I'll have to try a couple on.

A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior