Which Enduro helmet to purchase?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Yes, my point was that the more expensive helmet doesn't necessarily protect you better than a cheaper helmet. The price difference goes more to the comfort features in the helmet.

There's also been some debate about whether a Snell rating is actually safer than just a DOT rating. I buy Snell rated helmets mainly because they are required for racing.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Snell has recently changed its rating system. Prior to, I believe, 2008, a Snell rated helmet was "harder" due to the test platform being subjected to two impacts on the same area of the helmet. Naturally, to pass the test, the helmet had to me slightly more dense.

Any DOT rated helmet will work, Snell is a matter of preference, but not absolutely necessary for safety (and maybe not wanted in a smaller-headed rider, as more G-forces are transferred to the head....).

As for choosing a helmet, find one that fits and is comfortable...no use wearing something for hundreds of hours that bugs you.

I have an Arai XD that I paid about $600 for, including tax, in 2005. I've replaced the shield once, and have really loved being able to take out the liner for cleaning; without this feature the helmet would just be plain gross by now. The back of the lining has been sewed where it began to tear, but the bottom line is that the helmet fits like a glove, and a forget that I'm wearing it, and can wear it for 10+ hour days for weeks on end.

An excellent helmet that has been worth every penny.

To the contrary, I have an 'el cheapo $79 AFX that is my "spare". It's a torture device. Lining is scratchy, non-removeable, fits (my head), with tons of gaps and is almost too loud with wind noise.

Best bet...go try some helmets on. Find a comfortable one in your price range...and wear it!

Wearing full gear (All the Gear, All the Time) is one of the best ways you can put some odds in your favor on a bike.

-H-

Adventurerider

Adventurer
Helmet's

I'm a Motorcycle Rep & dealer (think German & Austrian Adv bikes), I mostly rep things for Adventure riding, but I also do some trials & MX as well. I have always agree'd with the statement "how much is your head worth" but sometimes the funds are just not there, so some of the better helmets for the money I.M.O. are:
Troy Lee Designs SE1 & SE2 , it's like getting two helmets in one because you can purchase ($30) a cold weather liner as well. An they fit incredible and Troy put a heck of a lot features in his lids for the dollar. (Which I not a rep for)
Vega MX helmets are D.O.T. & Snell approved and are the best bang for the buck in the market, again I.M.O.
Arai XD, Great Helmet, have both the first and second version, can't go wrong with it, check ADVRider in classified because I see them almost daily used for around $300 or below
As for the Shoei, they have changed there molds and fit much more like an Arai and I did have a Hornet, but the Arai was worth keeping so one of them had to go.
What type of riding are you mainly going to do? Because that should help point you in the right direction.
I will be putting up for sale here this weekend when I get the time to take all the photo's of my samples, so if your looking for a deal, I will be giving them. What size head do you have? The best deal on the wrong size lid will never work, so above everything else, fit is the most important.
Feel free to P.M me if your interested.
"When in doubt, Gas it Out"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles