AZ exploration with kids 2007.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
No, nothing planned, quite the opposite, trying to plan some tentative 2007 trips. First half of 2007 will be exploring more of Arizona. Looking for your top 5 long-weekend exploration areas that could be child friendly (means: daily driving outside of getting there and back is under 3 hours and no expensive (not necessarily extensive) rock crawling).

I am pondering the following and looking for feedback and your own suggestions. I've seen a lot of AZ, but could stand to do some things again.
  • Jackson Cabin
  • Patagonia
  • Chiricahuas (where specifically?)
  • Organ Pipe Nat'l Mon. (could easily do it again)
  • Kofa
  • Greer
Any further thoughts? Any particular N or S rim areas?

beattiedr

Jackson Cabin is pretty cool. It's a nice ride, not really all that difficult. There are two cabins really, the other one about 1/2 way up thre trail. I belive both of them are open to reservations. There is alos a natrual arch around the mid point of the trail. I have pics of it somewhere. I will try to dig them up.

Another one the kids might enjoy is Kentucky Camp. A mining ghost town off off of Route 83. The folks there are working to restore/maintain the structures. I also belive some of there cabins are also open to reservations. The surrounding area also has may trails to explore, and it is not far from Patagonia.

If you are going to be poking around the area for a little while don't forget the SunnySide Ghost town. That's a pretty nice trip too.

Dan

beattiedr

If you are in and around the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, I would also reccomend taking a trip through and around the lava field of Sunset Crater very, very pretty and a nice take in.

Dan

seth_js

Explorer
Patagonia is awesome. Last year I did the Patagonia Mountains, San Rafael Valley, and Huachuca Mountains (with a stop at the Sunnyside Ghost Town/Cemetery).

http://seth.phizz.net/adventures/patagonia_and_huachuca_mountains_12-3-05/

That is the only place on that list I have been. I am heading out to Kofa next weekend though. And I hope some one speaks up about specific areas of the Chiricahuas, because I plan on heading out there in the spring.

Last edited:

whitethaiger

Adventurer
Don't know the age of the kids, we've done trips with friends with kids to the KOFA. There is some great desert hiking, cool canyons to explore with plenty of water holes (not for swimming or anything, but still fun destinations for hikes with kids). Roads are easy. Here is a report from our most recent trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior