Custom Safari rack and adventure tents

Ghilli_camper

I'm looking have a custom built Safari rack. Do i need rails on the rack ? Any additional information i should give to the builder ? I will be use thule ladder rack as it has ability raise and lower . One thing that puzzle me about ladder racks is min weight they are allow to carry (depends on whether you are driving or not when in use ). As long as i'm use the thule for the tent and sleeping in while park , the 400 lbs weight require is ok .

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
A couple of more questions. What type of vehicle? Where do you plan on attaching the rack? Besides the roof top tent are you looking at putting anything else up on top. I will leave you with one photograph for some idea's/ input. Here was my 03 Rubicon using 1 1/8" round cross members that mimicked Yakima. Yakima's Quick Clips snapped right on. I used 5 Quick Clips to attach the Aluminum panel.

P7112444.jpg

Ghilli_camper

Dodge 1500 . No , Nothing else on the rack or tent . I would like to see if i can hang my whitewater kayaks upside down on the ladder rack . If i sea kayak i will lower the the ladder rack to allow the sea kayak to go above , clearing the tent ( one rack on roof , the other attachment to the hitch - thule 997 guidepost . Remove the sea kayak when camping. Sounds like there are clips to attach the tent to the rack .

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Here is a photograph of how both the Autohome Overland tent and the Eezi Awn tent attaches to the roof rack cross bars. It is very simple. The photograph shows a couple extra spacers that are not normally needed.

DSC_1032.jpg

Ghilli_camper

Wow , the hard part is the weigth of tent (need at least 4 friends) . Attaching tent is not going to be a problem. Thanks. With out the rails , it doesn't matter how i enter the tent. from the side or rear of the truck .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles