Stop Lamps and Turn Signals on Flip Pac Anyone?

Big Silver

Hey,
Have any of you inatalled additonal lighting on the rear or sides of your Flip Pac Campers? I'm planning on putting a set of two red lamps on each corner above the rear door as turn signals and a pair at the center of the shell above the rear door as break lights. I am also planning on installing a set of aux backup lights. Show me what you have done if you have made similar mods to your shell. I'm planning on using LED lights.

Thanks.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hey,
Have any of you inatalled additonal lighting on the rear or sides of your Flip Pac Campers? I'm planning on putting a set of two red lamps on each corner above the rear door as turn signals and a pair at the center of the shell above the rear door as break lights. I am also planning on installing a set of aux backup lights. Show me what you have done if you have made similar mods to your shell. I'm planning on using LED lights.

Thanks.

Haven't installed anything on a FlipPac to date, but we have all the LED for the job.

What shape and size are you thinking of?

We have a great LED work/reverse light http://www.adventuretrailers.com/12volt_solar.html third item down

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
This is something I'm considering for mine. The 'Pac will occlude the OEM third brake light on the cab so I'd like to replicate that light in an LED form on the rear of the 'Pac.

I also think marker lights might be a good idea - trail visibility in dusty/foggy conditions as well as on road traffic safety.

Big Silver

Visibility to other vehicles is my primary goal. With my first Flip Pac I got caught in a panic stop situation near Baker on the I-15 between LA and Vegas and the lights on the camper shell helped slow the traffic down behind me when I put the hazard lights on. It also helps when I'm on a trip and have a parent or two following to the camp site. They can see the elevated turn signals for a good distance. In either case I'm glad they are there. I'll post up some photos of the lights and their spacing. I'll be going down to FRP to work out the details. I have already kitted the wiring for the light sets so FRP can just place the looms under the liner and poke the pigtails through the shell. Looks like I can run the wiring back to the four pin plug breakout ahead of the nine pin trailer plug. The trailer circuit is not "sensed" by the light control computer so the load will not be a problem and I will not need to install relay circuits. I hope.....

Escape Pod

OEM third brake light

The 'Pac will occlude the OEM third brake light on the cab so I'd like to replicate that light in an LED form on the rear of the 'Pac.

When I was getting the Flip-Pac interior lights wired up, the camper shell installer suggested I also buy and install a third brake light on the top of the Flip-Pac. I had already installed a red hitch lamp, plugged into the 4-pin connector, that activates with the truck's rear brake lights, and it's 16" above the roadway. My reading of Cal Veh Code 24603 tells me the hitch lamp is in compliance, but the installer wasn't convinced. Anyone receive a ticket for the occluded OEM third brake light, or disagree with my reading of VC 24603? I'll get the high-mount version IF it's REQUIRED.

Camelfilter

Explorer
Old thread, but this might be helpfull for someone else: Yesterday I stuck on an LED to the inside of the rear glass.

Picture during bright daylight:

image.jpg

Picture at night:

image.jpg

It's from "superbrightleds"-http://http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/truck-round-lamps/round-led-truck-trailer-light--4-led-stop-turn-tail-light-with-17-leds/1038/ part # ST-RHB17

Pretty decent light output, matches or exceeds my regular brake lights even given the rear window tint. Might be "annoyingly bright" mounted on the outside IMO. Not bad for $20.

I have it stuck on the window with 3m clear double sided tape. The wiring I had for my old cap tapped into my drivers side rear brake light & routed up into the bed using trailer wire/connector.

Easy to do.

I might even mount up another, and place them higher, rather than center (bus style). Not sure yet.

Last edited:

Jr_Explorer

Explorer
Old thread, but this might be helpfull for someone else: Yesterday I stuck on an LED to the inside of the rear glass.

I have it stuck on the window with 3m clear double sided tape. The wiring I had for my old cap tapped into my drivers side rear brake light & routed up into the bed using trailer wire/connector.

Easy to do.

I might even mount up another, and place them higher, rather than center (bus style). Not sure yet.

Camelfilter did you use 3M VHB tape? Just the film or foam backed?

Camelfilter

Explorer
Camelfilter did you use 3M VHB tape? Just the film or foam backed?

I used the clear double sided tape, this here is the one I used (if the link works...):

http://http://m.homedepot.com/p/3M-1-in-x-60-in-Clear-Mounting-Tape-4010/202258919

I stuck that lamp to the inside of the rear glass by putting the double sided tape on the red lens of the lamp. From the outside you can't hardly tell it's there + because of the tint you can't hardly see the lamp anyways untill it's lit up.

The tape says "permanent", but it is actually easily removeable (on glass anyways). Its kind of "gummy", yet comes off with a strong pull. I'm not sure if it will dry out & set permanent, time will tell I suppose.

Alternatively I'm hoping that as the weather warms up that the tape will not "melt" and the lamp fall off. I don't think it will, as it's not very heavy, but again time will tell.

--Oh and I ordered a "flashing relay" thing from Superbrightleds, just got it, so haven't installed it yet. The flasher will (supposedly) flash that light when I press the brake, then stay on after about a second.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles