Sportsmobile Fridge Options

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
When standing inside the DE rig looking at the National Luna I would say you could fit large fridge and not notice a difference.
The guys there are masters at making use of the space aval...

I really like the idea of having some freezer & fridge space and that is why I was really thinking of the National Luna Weekender Split
935dac6d769deda3fb343ae33b5bf8e0.jpg

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
We are considering the National Luna for our next build. The Norcold is okay, but we're thinking it would be nice to have an NL mounted at countertop height with countertop material on the lid. I like the true 2-zone and the security of the door operation.

Here we go...copying the W.A.V.E.

1leglance

Hey Andy you really need to come up to SEMA with Peter and then you can go see the 74L National Luna fridge that has 2 compartments and 2 lids for a real fridge freezer that will keep in the cold better.

I look at the yachet stuff for really cool ideas. The drawer fridge would be neat, not sure of the cost.

One thing I like about something like the National Luna that hasn't been mentioned is the portability...you can take it to a party, in your garage, out on the beach and anywhere else you want. Kind of a neat way to get more value out of the fridge either when the rig is sitting or you want to be different.

beernutmark

One thing I like about something like the National Luna that hasn't been mentioned is the portability...you can take it to a party, in your garage, out on the beach and anywhere else you want. Kind of a neat way to get more value out of the fridge either when the rig is sitting or you want to be different.

Yea but you can almost buy 2 ARB 50qt fridges for the price of the National Luna. You could leave one in the van full time and have a second one that lives in the garage and goes in the van for long trips! :victory:

I know that you guys have already settled on the NL but here is what I probably would have done...

Put the ARB on a sliding shelf platform that would pull out. The back of the fridge would go against the van wall with the side against the drivers seat. This platform would hold the ARB at counter height. It would only have to pull out about 12" or so for the lid to work well. Have a hinge top counter piece that would fill the gap left when the fridge was pulled out. You would then have an "L" shaped kitchen layout with the short part of the L being the ARB fridge behind the drivers seat and the long part along the van wall. With some good Accuride drawer slides (500 lbs) the fridge would be super stable, you would gain some counter space and you would save about $400.00 ($500 fridge diff - $100 ish for the slides)

You could also use one of the side opening Engels and do the same thing. It would then open up toward the front of the van.

That NL fridge is really cool but I just can't see paying $500 more for a 10L freezer compartment when for just $250 more than that I could have two fridges. I could stack them one over the other (on sliders) for huge fridge space!!! Course I would need more battery power....:p

Mark

beernutmark

Paying attention now.

The back of the fridge would go against the van wall with the side against the drivers seat.

Paying a little more attention I noticed that the fridge is at the rear of the van going lengthwise. My idea still could work but not as cleanly as it would up front. It would probably block the rear exit if pulled out all the time. Still, the basic idea would work. The shelf would only have to slide out a few inches (maybe 5 or so) and could easily be slid in and out to open the fridge. The counter top extension from my previous idea wouldn't come into play though.

Mark

1leglance

lots of great ideas and that is the best part of working on something like a Sportsmobile..
you have this big empty shell and they can build it if you can think of it.

Funny how I am loving this thread and yet mine is almost done...nothing like spending someone elses money :)

Chris

Adventurer
:D Oh my I'm glad mine is done....................Hmm maybe I could remodel.....I like the double drawer idea.

:yikes:

Trail Monkey: Pposting pictures of the Engles in the back tomarrow. I thew it in today to take some pictures and my wife got all excited ....thought we were going somewhere. LOL Not such a good suprise.

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
:D Oh my I'm glad mine is done....................Hmm maybe I could remodel.....I like the double drawer idea.

:yikes:

Trail Monkey: Pposting pictures of the Engles in the back tomarrow. I thew it in today to take some pictures and my wife got all excited ....thought we were going somewhere. LOL Not such a good suprise.

sounds like youve got the right kind of wife..! thx for taking the time for the photos..

Topher Walters

Adventurer
I have the EB-50 and a Norcold fridge. It works fine but I usually am traveling alone. If I were going to do it again I would have gone with the next size up in fridge. I usually put my food in the fridge and I carry an Igloo ice chest on the back bumper swingout for ice and drinks. I had a zippered canvas cover made for the Igloo so the dust stays out. It works for me.

Chris

Adventurer
Trail Monkey;

Here you go I took some of the 12v cord, the bed platform, the platform without cushion, the frige from the inside and out side and the frige open and closed. Plus some extras. Sorry for the quality....phone pics!!

Had I known what I know now, I would have got the bigger 4cft Norclod originally however I would still use the Engles for longer trips. I would have had the shop add a 12v plug in the back close to the frig location. I also might have done a custom configuration by moving the shower location to allow the frige to sit closer to the outside wall and I would have lowered the platform to suite just the frig floor area to allow better access. Basically reconfigure of the entire back platform area, I still might. The patform I made was just to make it fit tighter than the original and because I drilled and bolted it to the 'L' bracket. I also usen a ruber foam tile to help deaden the sound and vibration.....Worked! The cord just tucks into the seam thats already there for a clean look. tried to show that in the pics. Its still a bit short though. The top has to be proped open, for me a pain for my wife not so bad she uses her head...Literally!! Velcrow strap is a thought.

We really like the portability of the Engles. We did use the basic Norcold for the first year and it was very doable on a two week trip...just needs some planning and someone that's good at packing it.

Now, our last trip was three weeks+ and we used the Engles for pre frozen goods on the bottom very cold on top and transferred to the small SMB frig up front. We had frozen just thawed food in our third week; this comes from a lot of trial and error on other trips of course.

The only thing I would change is those that would be associated with knowledge gained for a new build.

Hope this helps, good luck.

Heh I think we're almost as excited as we were to see ours. Happy for you!!

:wings:

Attachments

• 1 12v cord 1.jpg
    1 12v cord 1.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 2 1025090923.jpg
    2 1025090923.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 3 full length of cord.jpg
    3 full length of cord.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 67
  • 6 bed platform.jpg
    6 bed platform.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 95
  • 5 misc2.jpg
    5 misc2.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 61
  • 4 12v cord tucked.jpg
    4 12v cord tucked.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 7 bed without cushion.jpg
    7 bed without cushion.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 8 misc1.jpg
    8 misc1.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 9 back view.jpg
    9 back view.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Chris

Adventurer
Can never have to many, heres a few more.

:sombrero:

Attachments

• 13 misc 3.jpg
    13 misc 3.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 12 frig open back view.jpg
    12 frig open back view.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 11 couch up back view.jpg
    11 couch up back view.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 14 couch down front view.jpg
    14 couch down front view.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 15 frig open.jpg
    15 frig open.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 16 another inside.jpg
    16 another inside.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 17 from inside the van.jpg
    17 from inside the van.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 18 frig open closer.jpg
    18 frig open closer.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 19 misc.jpg
    19 misc.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20 1025090932.jpg
    20 1025090932.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 52

dzzz

I've started talking to SMB. I'm thinking about my engle 45 on the floor behind the drivers seat next to the built in fridge (EB 50).

Chris, what size is your Engle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior