New Sportsmobile on Order

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
So far the truck has been great. Weve hit 3 National parks in CA plus a good portion of the Pacific Coast highway. Headed into Death Valley in the morning with a few portal members..

heres a few shots of the truck. il start a thread soon on this whole trip. lot of great experiences so far. the SMB gets crazy attention on the road and in parking lots.

IMG_9297.jpg

IMG_9298.jpg

IMG_9299.jpg

IMG_9301.jpg

IMG_9337.jpg

IMG_9343.jpg

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Yep, 'buy in CA' pay taxes in CA...

When I purchased my 4Runner from a So Cal Toyota dealer over the phone three years ago and had it shipped to Nor Cal (Roseville) I had to pay Calif. sales taxes because that is where it was purchased and I took delivery. I think CA law is very clear on this.

Once home in Nevada it was clear that I had already paid sales tax and therefore I didn't need to pay taxes in Nevada, just vehicle registration fees.

I believe you are fundamentally correct on this.

There is an exemption, if you pick the vehicle up in California and drive it directly out of State, without using it for any other purpose.

The example given is someone picking up a boat in California, they are not liable for the tax if they drive out of State, and do not stop and use it for example to go fishing on a lake.

However it looks like Trail Monkey has been playing with his new toy in California so he is paying tax.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
great pics...
I really like the low profile roof rack...is that Aluminess's work?

No side awning huh? I love mine!

How are you guys liking the aux heater? :)

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on how your custom fridge setup works.

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
Congrats James! I remember the feeling of the "new" rig. It doesn't seem to go away. I hope you guys have some great times and make some lifelong memories in your new rig. I look forward to seeing it at the Overland Expo. Are you going to be there?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Looks great james! Nice touch on the rear winch.

A little tip on saving money on taxes. Our SMB was bought and taxes were paid on it as a standard van, then it was sent to SMB for the build as a separate invoice.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Thanks Lance.

Im going with the espar diesel setup and the hotwater option. not going to get the rear AC. we are 90% just two in the truck. i dont htink well need it, plus we are not full time out west either.

Im going with the 17" AR punishers in black teflon with the 315 BFG AT's

I have these on my motorcycle trailer already, so it should be a nice matchup, and allow for one spare..
The BFG 315 AT's are a D rated tire that only holds 50 psi. I'd consider an E rated Toyo MT with a huge load rating and super thick sidewalls. They balance up with little lead also. Also Walker Evans makes a bombproof rim to specs. Baja proven.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94