Three Forks Owyhee Oregon

agerb

Observer
Finally made it out to the Three Forks region of the Owyhee River in SE Oregon. Came in from the NE with plans to exit the canyon to the West. Made it across the river, but the path up and out was way beyond the capability of my Syncro. Maybe a TJ Rubicon or a Pinzgauer, something narrow with lockers. Anyhow, had a nice camp by the river and enjoyed the hot springs. Thought I would be alone, but seems as though a lot of other people had the same idea as me, Chukar hunting. Anyone here ever gone in/out of the river valley via the Western route? Coming from the East and crossing to the West side of the river is not the easiest task in and of itself, there are several mud holes en route to the rivers edge, and then the river itself is probably 18" deep, the bottom is rock, but those rocks are smooth and a bit slimy. The exit on the west bank is fairly steep and soft. The water was about as low as it gets, fall season and no real precipitation yet this year. Worth the effort however, nice flat spot on the water, and once you drive across you don't have to walk through the river to get to the hot springs.

Camp site on the West bank of the Owyhee
2524484680068243831S600x600Q85.jpg

2524484680068243831NDeKvl_fs.jpg

The "road" exiting to the West
2667513330068243831S600x600Q85.jpg

2667513330068243831NbNUZW_fs.jpg

The Hot/Warm spring, looking up the canyon
2762962820068243831S600x600Q85.jpg

Ruts from somebody driving when the shouldn't be
2766522960068243831S600x600Q85.jpg

Looking West at Warm Springs from the East side of the Canyon
2592433160068243831S600x600Q85.jpg

Looking North (down river), note trail exiting canyon on left.
2832505890068243831S600x600Q85.jpg

Looking East out of the warm springs
2454399420068243831S600x600Q85.jpg

2140219770068243831wXHUht_fs.jpg

Last edited:

nightfoam

Adventurer
Wow, great shots. I was there Memorial Day weekend 08 and I've wanted to go back and spend a day or two down there in the canyon. Thanks for the pics...

cnskate

Adventurer
Nice pics, thanks for sharing. That's my favorite hot springs. I'd like to try coming in from the west next time too. We were there in late June last year and the river was really high.

lwg

You've motivated me to plan a trip out there. Too bad the weather probably won't permit it this year...

lwg

Agerb did you run that trip solo? If so I'm inspired! I know they always teach never go alone but I've always figured if you were well prepared you'd be fine, or at least keep a Ham radio or Spot for if your not fine.

cnskate

Adventurer
We did it solo, and yes we had a SPOT on local recovery assistance if needed, but Three Forks is actually a fairly popular place. It was the first camping area we shared with another party after two weeks following the Owyhee. Lots of big rattlesnakes too. Sorry, I wouldn't do it solo in a Land Rover though:rolleyes:

agerb

Observer
I was solo, in a VW no less. I was well prepared, and am able and willing to walk long distances if need be. Just all part of the adventure I guess. I had detailed trip plans out to a few close friends who would be able (and exited) to be part of a rescue mission if I had not checked in at a predetermined time. Injury is always a cause for concern, but I figured if I was able to get back to my van I would be all good. The biggest worry was if a long walk out was going to required I would not know what to do with my dog, who is recently became a tripod. She is still fast and agile, but 30 plus miles on three legs is out of the question. The river crossing was also questionable, and if there had not been a big group of hunters camping right near by I may have aborted the attempt. It is always more fun to share the experience, but the time came available and I had to go, and was not able to round up any cohorts. I guess that is why I am sharing it here.

Applejack

Explorer
I was solo, in a VW no less. I was well prepared, and am able and willing to walk long distances if need be. Just all part of the adventure I guess. I had detailed trip plans out to a few close friends who would be able (and exited) to be part of a rescue mission if I had not checked in at a predetermined time. Injury is always a cause for concern, but I figured if I was able to get back to my van I would be all good. The biggest worry was if a long walk out was going to required I would not know what to do with my dog, who is recently became a tripod. She is still fast and agile, but 30 plus miles on three legs is out of the question. The river crossing was also questionable, and if there had not been a big group of hunters camping right near by I may have aborted the attempt. It is always more fun to share the experience, but the time came available and I had to go, and was not able to round up any cohorts. I guess that is why I am sharing it here.

I find my adventures to be mostly solo (vehicle-wise) as well. I actually prefer it most times and as long as you plan for disaster, than more power to you. Be wise and plan plan plan. And as you said, be ready to walk long distances.

sprocket3

Adventurer
I have taken the road out to the west from the hot springs. It goes out to HWY 95 about 15 miles north of McDermitt. Though I think there are a lot of different ways to get back to the HWY once you are out of the Canyon.

The Canyon area is interesting, but not sure it's worth the hours you spend getting back to the HWY on those nasty roads.

Rig: 1997 Land Cruiser. 2" lift with bumpers. I didn't hit anything but a stock 80/60 might. Though it should be doable.

Hope that helps. There was another Owyhee thread here last spring if you search.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne