Seats: Aftermarket or OEM replacement options

Scott Brady

Founder
Lets talk about seats! I am interested in feedback from folks who have installed aftermarket seats in their rig. What did you buy? How is the build quality, service? fit? Comfort level?

Have you installed an OEM replacement seat? Like a leather 4Runner seat into a Tacoma. How did that work out?

flywgn

Explorer
Andy took Diana for a ride over the "old" road parallel to the new one along the Punta Bufeo stretch (tell-tale on the speedometer indicated 83mph) in his pre-runner and she returned beaming saying, "I want one!"

At first I was elated, thinking, "Wow. I can now go out and buy some trick vehicle with 30" of suspension travel!"

Turns out D was talking about the seat and 5-point seat harness. I'm not sure what brand Andy has in the truck, but I'll investigate.

I've often thought about the advantages/disadvantages of replacing the OEM seats in our F250, the Xterra, and the SR5 in Baja with something else. I don't drive the dirt roads at the speed at which Andy demo'd the attributes of the pre-runner to D, but even at 40mph the bumps, twists, and turns take their toll on one's torso.

It would seem to me, though, that w/o the 30"-inch suspension travel, one will still have to do something to the mounting between the seat and the floor in order to approximate the apparent comfort that D experienced.

I've wondered about the some kind of combination of an 18-wheeler's 'air seat' and the racer's wrap-around.

At the moment, I'm looking at models from Beard and Simpson for the F250.

Allen R

erin

Explorer
I have wondered if the New Tacoma style driver seats would fit the old style with a gap between. Don't know how cost affective this is compared to custom seats, but they are really a huge step in comfort compared to the old style.

robert

Expedition Leader
I was going to put Volvo seats in my old Tacoma but then it got totaled before I got around to it. I was looking at the heated electric leather versions; several folks on TTORA have done this and swear by them. The seats in the newer Tacos are definitely more comfortable than the early Tacos- one of the few things that is actually better.

If they will physically fit and you can weld no big deal. Cut your old seat tracks off and weld them onto the new frames (disclaimer- seats are safety equipment so if you aren't a good welder take them to a certified welder!). I'd avoid aftermarket versions with high side bolsters (racing style) if your truck is a daily driver. I've got a friend with them in his BMW; he races it (SCCA), but also uses it as a daily driver and they are a PITA every time you get in or out.

detailbarn

Adventurer
I put a set of Audi TT seats in my 01 Taco , mounting was easy because the TT seats had a flat mount. Got the seats for free out of a wreak , and if I remember correctly these seats where made by Recaro for Audi. The fit nicely in the Taco and had great support on and off road.

My new rig a 2006 Unlimited Wrangler needs a seat upgrade , I was thinking about ARB's Paratus brand but I don't see them on ARB's site any more so it'll probally be aftermarket Recaro's this time.

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
In the same search...

I am in the same search, I am planning on converting to 3 seats... 2 front and one jump seat. Here is what I have come up with for OEM swaps:

The 4 Runner seats will not fit, directly, but do fit..

Volvo Seats Fit (Write-Up)
dsc01768.jpg

Celica Seats Fit (Write-Up)
aligning%20seat_%20clamped%20.jpg

I also Have this book marked...
Part 1
Part 2

I have also been playing with aftermarket seats, and leaning towards the Corbeau GTS II and the Sparco Torino II. Both a lot of $ for a set of 3!

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Those Celica seats are really nice looking!

I'm in the market as well. The seats in my 86 Runner are pretty beat.
I hear a lot of good things about Honda Seats and Supra seats. The seats in my 89 Supra were really comfortable and I would love to find a set of those.

Couple considered good for the money new are PRP
http://www.prpseats.com/ These are more of a true off road suspension seat you would see in a desert truck. Not really the adjust-ability of a factory seat is the down side. On your 4 door they are an option since you don't have to have access for people in the back seat.

I'm a cheap skate and I haven't found a seat this side of $300 that I would buy new. Problem is you don't find a quality seat with an adjustable back and I need the quick release for rear seat entry.

Summit Racing has the whole gambit of the seats they sell at the store here in GA on display where you can try them out. The APC seats just don't seem to be good enough quality to make the long haul. Not particularly comfortable either. The higher end stuff was nice but out of my range money wise so I am looking at used.

Here is a couple seat threads with a bunch of different options and plenty of pictures.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367208
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521666
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=523285

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Scott, what did you think of the National seats in the Hackney's Fuzo?

( A Pic at their website for reference)

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I replaced the bench in my Hilux with a pair of Procar buckets. I got them from a buddy who was building a hotrod and it turned out that high back buckets wouldn't fit with the NHRA legal roll cage in his Nova. They require a cross bar that goes diagonal from the floor to the top of the cage and the angle that put the back of the seat was too steep to be comfortable. So he sold them to me for a good price. Usually you find them at Summit for around $300 each, but I got the pair for $200. But if it wasn't for the fact that I really, really like having the Tuffy in the middle, I would go back to the factory Toyota bench (which really is pretty comfortable IMHO). The Procar seats are not particularly comfortable. They did bolt right in to the factory mounting points, which was nice. I keep an eye out for buckets from a pickup or 4Runner, but decent ones that aren't stained or broken don't pop up often and I usually am too late on the classified or whatever. Honestly, the seats in our Civic (a '96) aren't very good either and I still think the original '91 bench is better.

Scott Brady

Founder
The national seats were awesome in the FG. A perfect solution for their application.

I really want something cloth with large bolsters and heaters. Research, research, research.

Wil,

I dig the Volvo seats. Very nice.

ZooJunkie

Explorer
I had Recaros in my 2002tii, and I loved them. I'm not big on OEM seats especially Fords, GMs, and Toyotas.

Installation of Recaros are straight forward, though you'll need to buy the brackets to mount them in your car/truck. Sparco are top on my list as well. They both make some really comfy seats.

toyrunner95

Explorer
well the list of seats i know of that all fit into a toyota one way or another, i had the same problem but im a college student so i have nill cash flow. i restuffed some 90 4runner seats and stuck them in my 84 pickup, almost bolted right up, had to drill a couple holes. anyway i digress.

corbeau
mastercraft
prp
sparco
APC
tenzo
konig

to name a few, have you tried Jeep seats? the seats out of my parents 98 grand cherokee limited, u know the 5.9 litre 360. they almost bolt right up. i think, depending on your mounts.

sounds like you want a light racing seat. with a heater? wow i thought seattle was yuppi

Westy

Adventurer
I have mid 90's Celica seats in my '86 Pickup. They offer alot of side support and are firmer than most truck seats. The newer celica seats are even nicer.

I sat in some aftermarket seats made by Hunsaker and I was very impressed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior