Seats: Aftermarket or OEM replacement options

Kosmo

Adventurer
Experience with aftermarket seats? Material, style?

At the risk of reviving this thread and all its emotional baggage. :) I did not really see anybody post any experience with any particular seats other than Recaro and Supra, Celica seats.

I am building a long term travel rig that will be used off road and highway. For what it is worth the vehicle is a 2007 Jeep WK Diesel. Seats are ok, heated leather, but that wont be much use on hot climates. :sombrero:

I am looking for something that helps relieve road weariness and with the heavy duty suspension in the Jeep, thinking a suspension seat might be an idea.

Have seen Corbeau has some nice options, but I don't know about longevity.

I don't want the huge side bolsters, but wouldn't mind the 5 point seat belt, although I have never used one regularly, and am not sure how comfortable it is.

Additionally I am looking at taking out the rear bench and putting in two buckets there as well. We will have two kids travelling with us, so this will allow for a bit of comfort, support, and some extra storage/build room in between the seats.

I was looking at some used Recaro's today. Japanese imports. $300 apiece. I saw one guy on here said he loved them. They also had a set of Supra seats for $150 each.

I am ok with buying new, but would like to keep it under $2-3k, and for that I would expect a perfect solution, but of course I have no idea what that is.

Other than that looking for any sort of feedback from experienced long term Expedition people on what is best material. Leather, vinyl, cloth, or one of the aforementioned with seat covers. I know leather is considered luxurious, but in desert heat it can burn, and vinyl does not breathe at all, although it is easy to clean.

Cloth would seem to have an advantage in most areas, but I can also imagine it being rough on the back over time.

Feedback and comments? :coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior