Mercedes Benz 230G

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I don't recall much conversation here on Expo about these rigs. Anyone here had any experience with them? I looked at an '82 a few years ago but it had some body rust issues that didn't seem appealing. I've always liked these things. From what I've read up on them, high reliability, and durability. Front and lear lockers, and good interior space for the wheelbase.

Anyway, I was daydreaming on Ebay today and saw this one... <drool>

3b_12.JPG

60_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-Mercedes-Benz-230-G-G-wagon-Gwagen-Gelaendwagen_W0QQitemZ150068388430QQihZ005QQcategoryZ31854QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This makes me want to rethink my upcoming car project in the spring.

Scott Brady

Founder
Oh man, that is awesome :luxhello:

I consider the G as one of the top 5 expedition platforms in the US, with a solid military history and above average reliability. Three locking diff's and solid, coil-sprung axles.

Last edited:

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
expeditionswest said:
Oh man, that is awesome :luxhello:

I consider the G as one of the top 5 expedition platforms in the US, with a solid military history and above average reliability. Three locking diff's and solid, coil-sprung axles.

Scott, just out of curiousity, what do you rank as your top 5 US platforms?

blupaddler

Conspirator
That was all great except for this...

"this is 100% US legal, certified and has a clear Maryland title transferable to 49 states except california. this vehicle does not have the california emissions sticker. it is legal in all other states."
:mad:

Darn! I need to move out of California. Anyone know of a good lifeguard job in Colorado? :p

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Yeah, except here we call them ski patrol. ;)

Unfortunately you don't really need to know how to ski, but for a couple areas you have to be a bomb expert.

ShearPin

Adventurer
G Wagon

Preferring the Land Rover 110 I was never a big G wagon fan until my brother and I had a chance to look over the G's purchased by our Canadian military at a recent car show. Split rims, hose out interior, diesel, snorkel, etc. - just about perfect. Despite the leather seats with memory foam - this looks like a good start.

Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

ShearPin

Adventurer
G Tires

Scott

Not sure of the size - they were marked "Michellin X" with what looked like an XZL pattern.... I'll look through the photos I took to see if I can get the size - I know I took some photos of the rims.

Edit - I found them on the net, they are xzl 8.25 R16
Henry
www.4x4freedom.com

CLynn85

Explorer
Having driven a USMC IFAV Version of the G-class, I was very impressed. I'd trade my Jeep for one in an instant. On road it was a very pleasant ride, the 5-cyl diesel was very smooth. Around our test track it had no problems taking on everything we run the hmmwv's and tracked vehicles through, except for the deep mud. It got bogged down in a muddy field pretty quick with it's narrow tires and just sunk down to the frame. The beadlocks were hella cool but must've weighed a metric ton each. The canvas top on our IFAV was pretty slick too, but on the highway drove me NUTS. There should be more vehicles like this available to the US public.

-Edit: Oh, and our USMC version had BFG Mud Terrains

Robthebrit

Explorer
Don't the mil spec G-wagons have portal axles? The only one I have ever seen had what looked like mini mog axles. There was also one on Eurotrucks website that had portals.

Rob

Robthebrit

Explorer
Here is a picture of the one on eurotrucks website

290GD%20-%20MogAxles1.JPG

It looks like this truck is a one off and actually has mog axles. Regardless, its really nice truck and it would look much better on my driveway next to its big brother.:)

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles