M416 Hub Conversion to 6 on 5.5?

wyorunner

Observer
Yea conversion spacers are a no go. That really makes a big difference with those on there, not something i want. Do you think they were strong enough, and it would take a lot to make them fail? Or would could they fail relatively easy? What did you end up doing on you trailer? Or did you just leave the original style on?

seanz0rz

Adventurer
i purchased some regular trailer tires on the stock rim. it was the lowest cost solution i could come up with at the time:
IMG_1994.jpg

i figure they should last forever.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Yea conversion spacers are a no go. That really makes a big difference with those on there, not something i want. Do you think they were strong enough, and it would take a lot to make them fail? Or would could they fail relatively easy? What did you end up doing on you trailer? Or did you just leave the original style on?

No the won't fail on a trailer, but on a rig thats another story.

A

wyorunner

Observer
^^^ Thats good to know, but still dont think i like the much wider track of the trailer they add.

Sean, the tires i have are brand new oringinal style military tires. When i bought the trailer the guy threw them and some other goodies in. I want to run regular 285/75R16s so that way i only have to carry one spare between the truck and trailer, but will be carrying two, instead of one for the truck and one for the trailer. Did that and dont like it. My new bumper is going to have a swing out tire carrier, and then im going to make a mount for on the trailer, but would still prefer to have two spares for the truck. Im going to be putting ALOT of miles on the two in the near future (2011), and want a little uniformity and swapability(if that is a word). Ive seen people running 6 on 5.5 on the 416 but it was a different axle. I think this is going to be an interesting find once done. And a good one.

AlexJet

Explorer

I have converted 5x4.5 to 6x5.5 using Adapt-it-USA adapters. They are 2" thick and have enouph meat to withstand off-roading. I used loctite to secure bolts to the hub and I don't see any problems with falling off.

wyorunner

Observer
I have converted 5x4.5 to 6x5.5 using Adapt-it-USA adapters. They are 2" thick and have enouph meat to withstand off-roading. I used loctite to secure bolts to the hub and I don't see any problems with falling off.

Alex, thats good to know. Im assuming you put them on a trailer, did the extra width bother you at all? Or make the track wider than your 4Runner?

AlexJet

Explorer
Alex, thats good to know. Im assuming you put them on a trailer, did the extra width bother you at all? Or make the track wider than your 4Runner?

I'm making a custom trailer, so my axle was cut for size. Because of this I calculated width in the building process.
BTW, here are some pictures:

Step7a.jpg

Step9.jpg

Step16a.jpg

Step14a.jpg

Close look at the adapter:

Step14b.jpg

seanz0rz

Adventurer
im wondering if you went through all that trouble, why not buy an axle with new hubs that match your bolt pattern. seems like the cost of the adapters (~200) is pretty close to what i priced out for a new axle and hubs (~350). especially since you are doing your trailer from scratch and could probably take the 150 dollar hit.

trailer looks good btw. i really do need to add a reciever to the back of mine...

AlexJet

Explorer
im wondering if you went through all that trouble, why not buy an axle with new hubs that match your bolt pattern. seems like the cost of the adapters (~200) is pretty close to what i priced out for a new axle and hubs (~350). especially since you are doing your trailer from scratch and could probably take the 150 dollar hit.

trailer looks good btw. i really do need to add a reciever to the back of mine...

First, I got this 3500lbs axle for $50. Second, in Canada you can't buy axle with Toyota hubs, they are all trailer pattern (same as Jeep 5x4.5) or 4x5. Importing one from US will run $650+

wyorunner

Observer
DANG 650, i see why you went with the adapters. That nice trailer you got there, or its going to be when its finished.

womacje

Adventurer
Wyo

I'm in the same boat. '67 M416 I have 6x5.5 wheels ready to go, but no hubs to fit. The drum is too small on the M416 but has anyone figured out the spindle bearings to get the 10" hubs to work on the M416 spindle?

Last edited:

Bluffin

I used my local trailer shop and was told that they don't make replacement hubs for that axle, its to old. All the adapters I found were running about 70-90 a piece.

I was able to get a new custom length dexter axle (no electric brakes and matched the length of the old m416 axle) 6x5.5 hubs, bearings, brackets, lugs etc to match the FJ Cruiser for $145. I'd go that route if I were you.

womacje

Adventurer
I really like having the hand brake setup. I was going to look into a machinist redrilling the hubs for 6stud pattern. Anyone tried this?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94