M416 Hub Conversion to 6 on 5.5?

Wallygator

Adventurer
For both (all) of you, Dexter makes an electric brake equipped axle WITH a cable actuated parking brake as well.

PAGE 27

Bringing back this old thread again....This link to Dexter axle will not work. I've got my trailer completely torn down. It's a pile of bolts and parts.:Wow1: Need to get everything to the sand blaster since there must be 6 coats of old paint and rust on every part. I was gonna stay with the stock axle but I feel this electric brake with cable parking brake is the ideal setup. Thoughts? I guess I could just call Dexter axle to try and find a part number? If I do get a new axle, will it just bolt up to the stock M416 leaf springs? That is probably a dumb question but I'm very new to this trailer building process. Thanks.

GFA

Adventurer
I'm feeling lucky today...

I couldn't bring myself to order a new axle just for a new lug pattern when my original is in perfect condition and I really want to keep the handbrake. After reading the IH8MUD thread about the 6 on 5.5 I dug a little deeper to find that the M416A1 (which I have, is the one with hyd. surge brakes) has the correct bearing sizes to be able to swap out the hubs for new ones in whatever pattern needed.

A quick look through the M416 manual shows the bearing part numbers for the A1 as 68149 and 44649, the same bearings in the hub thats correct for the pattern in my JK.

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/p-243-c9550lb3e.aspx

I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but my A1 is a 1989 model.

Hope it helps someone as I've never seen the bearing differences noted between the M416 and the M416A1

SB

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I'm feeling lucky today...

I couldn't bring myself to order a new axle just for a new lug pattern when my original is in perfect condition and I really want to keep the handbrake. After reading the IH8MUD thread about the 6 on 5.5 I dug a little deeper to find that the M416A1 (which I have, is the one with hyd. surge brakes) has the correct bearing sizes to be able to swap out the hubs for new ones in whatever pattern needed.

A quick look through the M416 manual shows the bearing part numbers for the A1 as 68149 and 44649, the same bearings in the hub thats correct for the pattern in my JK.

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/p-243-c9550lb3e.aspx

I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but my A1 is a 1989 model.

Hope it helps someone as I've never seen the bearing differences noted between the M416 and the M416A1

SB

That is interesting!

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Something interesting happened some time ago and brought to light some cause for concern.

I bought a M416 what seems like forever ago Oct 2009'ish. Swapped the axle because no option existed for running 6 on 5.5. I installed Toyota 80 series shank not acorn style rims and ran acorn style on metric lugs (axle came with non metric threaded lugs). Ran it this way for years and thousands of miles. Recently change wheels and tires to newer Toyota 4Runner rims still using the acorns lugs gently placed and painstakingly centered. Not 15 miles in a wheel comes loose on the interstate......hmmmm this was no good. This brought me to question why not metric Toyota Threaded studs, somer research suggested Dexter did offer metric but not the Toyota or Japanese thread configuration.

My brother came up with the idea of running a narrow as possible wheel spacer for a Toyota using the acorn lugs with red loc Tite to secure the spacer and the correct shank style to secure the wheel. The fenders are being worked up right now to be 3.5" wider than stock, as the new axle was ordered wider to offset the higher COG.

Aaron

bonomonster

Adventurer
Newer Toyota wheels are hub centric..... They normally will not work when mounted lug centric....

I'm very anxious to see how your solution works out

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles