Alcohol stoves?

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
thanks for all the info guys. Is the fuel readily available in central and south America?
Someone who knows for a fact may show up, but a non-pressurized stove like my Origo burned debatured alcohol, which is available at all kinds of stores--paint, hardware, home repair, etc. My belief is that it would be much easier to get than propane.

It seems expensive, maybe $15 a gallon from the Home Depot, but you don't go through it very fast.

doubleb

Observer
Thanks Mike. By the way, Shellvis is sitting nice and dry for the NW winter in my friends shop. Just waiting to be built up this summer! I already have all kinds of plans for it, and thanks again for the book! :sombrero:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks Mike. By the way, Shellvis is sitting nice and dry for the NW winter in my friends shop. Just waiting to be built up this summer! I already have all kinds of plans for it, and thanks again for the book! :sombrero:
Thanks for the report, big guy. Glad to know all's well.

For the majority that don't know, Brian bought the ex-Safari Vehicle Manufacturing fiberglass shell that Chris Brandt and I hemmed-and-hawed over for years without building it out . . .

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27257

. . . and thus is well-positioned to build a very trick overlanding camper. We'll all look forward to your build information, Brian.

vampli

Hello everyone

This is what i use in my car

18462-365.jpg

COOK_1600_sideu.jpg

Both has the same burner inside and runs on alcohol. Now i can heat and prepare food on the same fuel....

VicHanson

Adventurer
thanks for all the info guys. Is the fuel readily available in central and south America?

I have used homemade soda can alcohol stoves for years, including for 5 months hiking the Pacific Coast Trail from Mexico to Canada. I've used them as high as 18,000 feet mountain climbing in Peru, and in below freezing temps, so don't let anyone tell you that you can't use them in low temps or at high altitude. They work great, just be careful not to tip them over. If it is windy, you need a wind shield. It helps at other times as well to hold in the heat. Make sure you use a lid on your pot as well, reduces cooking time.

To try one out, just put alcohol in an empty tuna cat food can. Support the pot about an inch above that with stones or tent pegs. If you punch holes around the edge of the can, near the top, with a paper punch, you can set the pot right on the can. BUT be very careful doing this, any slight wind will blow the flames up to a foot away from the stove!

The best fuel to use in the U.S. is HEET (or other brand) gas line deicer, but make sure it is methenol (in the yellow bottle). In Peru, methenol is called metilico and costs about $5 per gallon (4 liters actually). You can also burn Ron para quemar (cooking alcohol), but it usually isn't as pure and burns much slower and cooler, especially at altitude.

Search for 'pepsi can stove' or alcohol stove on the net and you will find lots of plans for different models. Sgt. Rock has a good site, as well as others.

Here is a link to my review and information about them.
http://www.spgear.org/reviews/3374/Soda-Can-Stove.html

Vic

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior