Propane and CO alarms

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Gong through my new (very old) camper...

Is anybody running a propane detector/alarm? How about a CO detector/alarm?

Preferably battery powered, as I would like to keep the camper as independent of the truck as possible.

I would like to stay alive while running the furnace this winter :victory:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
We have one of each in our Bigfoot camper. You can get them both in 12v versions that hook up to your "house" batteries, and also versions that run off of smaller batteries - 9v or AA's. You should be able to get them at any RV supply store.

Don't forget to put in a smoke detector also. One thing I would say about our smoke detector is it tends to go off when we use the oven and/or stove if we don't leave a vent open.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
We have one of each in our Bigfoot camper. You can get them both in 12v versions that hook up to your "house" batteries, and also versions that run off of smaller batteries - 9v or AA's. You should be able to get them at any RV supply store.

Don't forget to put in a smoke detector also.
Times 2 on this . . . you'll need to have a CO, LP gas and smoke detectors. You'll want to pay attention to their mounting locations; in particular, the gas detector goes down by the floor as LP is heavier than air.

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
I've got an old truck camper without the LP detector, but I did install a battery operated CO detector at head level when sleeping in the cabover sleeper area. The smoke is located across from the stove, and tested just before leaving every time along with the CO detector. As for the LP, I test the system every few months, and make sure the LP appliances are off or working properly, maybe I should consider one, but I'm only keeping the camper for two or three more short weekend trips next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94