gtrv style homebuilt van

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
well I found the carpet....Walmart area rug...5x7 will do the back from wheelwell to engine cover...$20...and a smaller one cut to fit the fronts...probaly will have about $30 in ALL the carpet...:wings:

and I found the right sized foglights...I wanted to use hella 500's driving light...Ive had several sets..and they are awsome!!...but I pulled a spare out..its TINY compared to the front of the van...

after lookin...and lookin...daystar 8 1/2's....lightforce...

STUMBLED across Hella 700's!!... 8.5 light...and the performace I know!!..and ODDLY....$10 CHEAPER than the 500's!!

$74 for the PAIR!!

EDIT...actually...I found a 10% off coupon!!!... so they are $65!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hla-010032801_w.jpg

http://www.streetsideauto.com/produ...nt=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping

ordering friday!!...and carpet..and insulation!!...getter buttoned back up soon!!

Last edited:

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
stay tuned folks!!

the kids sick...and the drive to cleveland for a 4x4 xmas party has been cancled...:mad:

so....

GARAGE WEEKEND!....

build and pictures!! updated thru-out the day all weekend...cus Im bored!!

materials!! n hats/helmets in the garage...

100_2721.jpg

$40 worth of rugs...2 5x7...

100_2722.jpg

$40 worth of insulation...4x25 (may need more...hmmmm)
100_2723.jpg

$48 worth of glue!
100_2725.jpg

1000watts of heat/light (its 30* outside n she was out all day...)
100_2724.jpg

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
well im bout halfway thru the second can...n kinda loopy...had to vent the garage a min...the spray has some kind of xylene or naptha...its wicked flamable and giving a killer rush!! (head startn to ache)...

so its breaktime!!

got all the deadener that came un-stuck/restuck...
100_2731.jpg

100_2732.jpg

got the fenders done...kinda neat to work with this stuff!!
100_2735.jpg

started the floor and used the old carpet to get an idea of how to best use the material..

100_2733.jpg

100_2736.jpg

time to head back out...its prolly ready!!

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
well...now that ive sobered up....im feeling better...:homer:

got all the parts cut...short on material..so off to the depot to get some more tommorow...

still gotta glue the last of whats cut in....
100_2739.jpg

100_2742.jpg

100_2743.jpg

100_2745.jpg

got the main piece of carpet cut (back seat mount and back area arnt gonna be carpeted...plywood base..and a catch-all basin for the back end (so I dont dump veg oil when Im haulin it..like I have before..:D )

100_2741.jpg

100_2740.jpg

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
MAN what a DAY!! been in the garage since 1...just came in fer night..

Im still slightly light-headed..so bear with me...(3 cans of spray adhesive)

got all the foil done minus the driver door..(total was 1 4ftx25ft and 1 16in x 25ft roll..total cost is $57 for all of it...that did inside of all the doors..the trim..floor..doghouse..walls..)

doghouse is foiled and carpeted...so thats 1 layer of factory foil..fiberglass..fiberglass housing..dynamat..foil insulation..and carpet..

above the windows foiled...

back carpeted...seat brackets for capt chairs bolted in..front seat bolts cut and ready..(carpet cut)...

all the floor thats gonna see carpet is covered!!! (that stuff is nice to work with!!!...spray adhesive...FOIL IS SUPER AWSOME!!..carpet wasnt bad...)

still needs some seams fluffed...but thats about as much as its gettin...

pix...

above window foil..
100_2753.jpg

doghouse..
100_2747.jpg

100_2748.jpg

100_2749.jpg

100_2752.jpg

back...the parts not covered are for the bed/couch frame that will have storage..and the back is gonna have a epoxy-coverd plywood area that will keep spills and make cleanup easier!!

100_2757.jpg

100_2758.jpg

MONEYSHOT!!

DID fire it up to move it over to get the interior trim outta the attic...the diffrence INSIDE THE GARAGE is staggering!!!...you CANNOT hear the diesel thru the floor or the doghouse..unbeleivable..
100_2759.jpg

oh...and just for fun...my buddy spencer was over wrenchin on his ranger...im just glad I didnt have to get the gear oil on me...that **** stinks!! :D

100_2751.jpg

G35Vortec454

Adventurer
You got your work cut out for you and your daughter. Nice project. I'll be following this.

But it's giving me flashbacks of what I (and a helper, not a daughter:) went through with my rig/RV more than 4 years ago, and not just a teardown of the interior, it included the teardown and complete swap of the drivetrain.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
sorry for the delay...been kinda...ur...BUSY...

thats right fellas/ladys...

with kiddo gettin sick..and steph bein huge..we didnt go to cleveland for the weekend....

a good thing...

2:45am sunday her water broke...6 WEEKS EARLY!!!!!

7:36am and 7:40am...the twins were born via-sunroof..

Mary Elizabeth was first at 4lb 9oz...Bishop Christopher was next at 4lb 11oz...

everybodys doin good...no scary parts...nobody but steph wigged out..(and I cant blame her!!)

they are sayin tuesday she can come home...but the twins may have to stay a few weeks...they wernt due till JANUARY 19th!!...we figured after christmas...and Mary decided today was gonna work for her..and broke out!!

Mary...
IMG00479.jpg

Bishop..
IMG00481.jpg

standard picture of momma lookin like crap...(phone fudged pic of mary and momma)

IMG00484.jpg

ok...now back to the mistress....:Wow1:

got the the big trim back in...not too sure what Im gonna do with the back...so I left the easier to install pieces out till I get a good look n design stuff in my head...

got the last of the carpet on the driver side back storage compartment..

got the speaker wired and installed...
100_2763.jpg

back seats..
100_2767.jpg

front seats....
100_2768.jpg

random shots..
100_2766.jpg

100_2771.jpg

100_2772.jpg

Last edited:

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I popped out for a min today...the dang rust spot from the driver seat bracket didnt clean up...so looks like I gotta drag the carpet cleaner out ALREADY....

dang it...:coffeedrink:

spencyg

This Space For Rent
I popped out for a min today...the dang rust spot from the driver seat bracket didnt clean up...so looks like I gotta drag the carpet cleaner out ALREADY....

dang it...:coffeedrink:

This is why I intend to remove all the carpet from Boomer at some point in the near future. It is a constant cleaning battle which can only be lost, especially given the intended usage of our rigs. I hope to do bamboo flooring at some point. Lightweight, easy to clean, and sustainable.

Spence

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I managed to escape to the garage for a bit today....

got the carpet trim polished and in...and some cleanup of the shop...

decided to paint the threshold areas hammertone grey to help with the accent lighting to be installed as well as help people find the steps in low light so they will stop stumbling over it...

100_2783.jpg

100_2781.jpg

100_2780.jpg

100_2782.jpg

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
well today she took her maiden voyage...its 32* outside....

the block heater works very well in her and after being plugged in for 20min the pyro said the manifolds were 70* (she was in the garage so its prolly only a 20* increase)...so there wasnt much wait for heat...

got it warm inside....then it got really cosey inside...so I turned the back heat off and put the front on low speed fan...

the inside is DRAMATICALLY quiet!!...its unbeleivable how much quieter...the engine noise thru the floor is very little...(compared to being able to tell it was a quart low on oil!!!)..

we drove thru stop and go...and it was nice to carry on a converstation...even to play with the stereo that suddenly sounds so much better too!!!...but in the process we didnt get much draft air thru the vents...HOWEVER...we DID NOT ONCE smell the diesel exhaust that still needs a tip installed to dump it outside the bodyline (tucked under pass rear tail...)..

once we did finnaly get rolling (and to note..the interior temperature did not ONCE feel like it dropped sittin in traffic...and the other car noise was significantly reduded!).....the draft thru the vents took over...and I HAD to turn the temp setting from full hot down to about 3/4...so she is retaining some serious heat...so this summer it should be kick *** COLD!!!!!!!!

all in all...Im in for $230 or so for the materials and spray adhesive (spent as MORE in spray adhesive as I had in the sound deadener!!)

next stop...front bumper re-vamp...and rear tire carrier/storage box built off the bumper!!...oh..and ordered the LED lights for dome/entry lights and cab accent lighting....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier