gtrv style homebuilt van

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
well its time to start the teardown...

well...actually the majority of the teardown is done...just not the roof..not yet...

plan is to make new bench/bed brackets..and add a bunch of storave pockets to the sides and the back doors..

all of it sound-proofed..and insulated ( roll in sound deadner and that foil bubblewrap insulation)..floor walls and ceiling when im to it..oh and the doghouse!!

from the front of the rear fenderwells BACK is going to be plywood thats sealed against oil (gota haul the veggie!)...and carpet from there forward...

IMG00301.jpg

IMG00299.jpg

IMG00300.jpg

IMG00303.jpg

IMG00302.jpg

IMG00304.jpg

IMG00305.jpg

Last edited:

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
today I got the last of the floor scraped and old deadener out...

got all the panels out and checked the way the headliners in...should be easy to pull and maybe reuse!!:sombrero:

went to home depot and priced all my stuff too...headin there after work to get what I need and a few new shop lights...new garage only has 3 spotlights...needs 9 4ft flourescents!!

progress..(lemme tell ya...get bagies for all yer screws...and LABLE THEM!!)

trimmed some of the plastic for moving speakers and making access holes for storage areas that are just unused spaces! (alot of those too!!)

IMG00313.jpg

IMG00312.jpg

more/better pix tommrow!!...bedtime!!

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
updates and goodies!!

(home depot)
priced the roofing/ice protector for sound deadener..150sqft for $50...(3ft wide roll)
insulation foil backed bubblewrap for heat/cold 4x25ft roll is $40!!
less than $100 to get it ALL sound and heat insulated!!

PROGRESS

didnt get too much done this weekend...put new shoplights in..had to re-tile the bathtub (bout half of them FELL out in the last few weeks..older house)..
and had to move a BUNCH of junk to extricate my 1959 ford fairlane galaxy 500 from her restinghole of the last 15yrs..and tried to tear a mach1 mustang in half..twice...

got the inside all washed out for the sound deadner and insulation...

all the interior is tucked in the garage attic for safe keeping while the build happens...

gotta love slave labor...she loves to spray stuff with the airhose...all I gotta do is fire up the compressor and the garage floor is cleaned up...and she dried the big puddles out of the van!

IMG00321.jpg

IMG00322.jpg

dont take my picture...
IMG00323.jpg

FREEBIE!! found in a junk pile while moving some cars around today at a buddies...

all the switches are 12/24volt along with the lights and nice aluminum brackets and such!!
standard size papertowel roll for size referance..+

floor storage anyone??

IMG00324.jpg

IMG00325.jpg

IMG00326.jpg

IMG00327.jpg

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I see you got the hot shot crew on it. Progress will be speedin up now!:D

How much room from back of front seats to the rear doors?

Good luck with the build.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
I see you got the hot shot crew on it. Progress will be speedin up now!:D

How much room from back of front seats to the rear doors?

Good luck with the build.

10.5ft or so...

captains and bed/bench gonna go back in...but some extras added into her as its rebuilt...

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
after taking some measurements and looking around...I discovered Ford built this to have the top removed!!! :wings: (well...not really..but its gonna happen)

there is a lip on the upper wall body that is PERFECT for the lifting mechanism and the bracing arms...

its also going to be a 8ft 8in long x 4ft 8in wide opening...and the bed will be 6'6"x4"6!! thats alot bigger than I thought it would be!!

Im still working on the logistics of the top weatherseal...but that should sort itself out when the time comes....

and I found a local boat place that can do the top!!

thats all...fer now!

granitex1

Adventurer
So is this to tow Jenny around with? or longer distance stuff? or both?

As always your builds are fun to watch.

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
So is this to tow Jenny around with? or longer distance stuff? or both?

As always your builds are fun to watch.

it took me HONSETLY 2min to figure out WHO JENNY was....

im retarded....:elkgrin:

I already TOW Jenny with her...but her fatness caused me to lighten jenny...and TURBO the van....:smiley_drive:

but yea..that and do some campin with the family...I already bunk in the van when wheelin...this makes it easier to talk the wife into going...

and FYI to those lost...JENNY apparently is the name of my Explorer...I put her on a Jenny Craig diet lastyear...gutted the floor and striped it down to just bodyskins over a tube frame...

old pic..
wheelin.jpg

bad pic of now..
100_2409.jpg

toading...
DCP_7179.jpg

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
rust and paint today!!

and some pix of the ledge and the top...measurements...

IMG00331.jpg

little bit of rust on the floor...front of the wheel wells only spots rusted thru...and some "prevenative" painting to be done just to stop old "MR RUST!!"
IMG00337.jpg

view of the turbo too!!

IMG00338.jpg

top lip..from roof...ledge is 1/2in down from metal edge..so 2in...PLENTY of room for supports!!

IMG00339.jpg

lip to top of window..
IMG00342.jpg

width..
IMG00345.jpg

oh..and got the doghouse dynomatd....soon time for the rest!!...gotta paint tommorow!!

Last edited:

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
waitin on payday for the sound/heat insulation...

so its BUMPERS!!!

DISCLAMER!!...needs welds ground down and painted!!

IMG00422.jpg

IMG00423.jpg

IMG00428.jpg

front needs the grill guard built...and some "tweeking" but all it all not bad!! front and winchmount 3/16 plate...outsides 14/16gauge flat steel...total weight about 100lbs...stocker was HEAVIER!!...

back is same material...didnt cut for the winch yet..need to get the one for the back before I go cuttin holes wrong... :)

IMG00426.jpg

IMG00425.jpg

total of 6hours building after I got the patterns made...over 4hrs JUST welding yesterday...and after that...I dont feel like doin crap with it today!! :D

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
UPDATES!!!

sorry folks...not much bein done with the holidays approaching and a few other project (PAID!!) jeeps to help fund the build...and xmas shoppin...

got the backers made for the captains chairs...before it was 8 bolts and 8 nuts and 16 washers...and a pain in the BUTT...to unbolt the posts involved 4pair of vicegrips for each post and to install took a helper!!

so I built backers that got welded on the underside so I can unbolt and reinstall as a one guy gig...srry for the crap welds but im borrowing a welder and its only fluxcore..
100_2699.jpg

then time to clean the floor (darn kids and dogs!)....

and picked up the deadner...150SQFT $46...van floor is only like 90sqft!..so the doors will also be done!!
100_2695.jpg

100_2690.jpg

100_2698.jpg

got the plate exchanger fittings installed and even found a semi-convenient place to install it!!
100_2694.jpg

oh...and the bumper got painted...still needs the uprights..tubing later this winter..
100_2693.jpg

random pic of my onboard air tank n mount...driverside outside the frame by the rear tire..
100_2700.jpg

100_2701.jpg

100_2703.jpg

wanderer-rrorc

Explorer
welp....150sqft later...and its all in...doubled up from the firewall to past the front seats...and triple thick on the rear fenderwells...

all the sides done...inside the doors...slider...and even reinstalled the doghouse!! (thanks sully!!)

and I found out that the 3M spray adhesive ISNT jokin when they say flamable!!...the one halogen I have...set it off!!...little fire...and the extinguisher wasnt needed...(but it was grabbed!!)..

gotta get another couple cans of it...to do the insulation..and finnish a little on the driver fenderwell...

all in all...it looks AWSOME..really nice stuff to work with...impressed with it!!

and my wifes WONDERFULL high-dollar camera took these pix...the first one is typical of her camera with no auxilary light...:(
100_2704.jpg

100_2707.jpg

100_2708.jpg

100_2706.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles