building the Bullet XV

sarconcepts

Adventurer
The cabs just came back clear coated, looking amazing
cabinets 108.jpg
cabinets will start going in this week
I finally installed the softwalls I had made months ago, the timing was right just before the cabinets go in for good, fortunately the bungees got the walls out of the way as the roof lowered, just as I planned (hoped)!
softwalls 006.jpgsoftwalls 008.jpgsoftwalls 010.jpgsoftwalls 012.jpg

bobDog

Expedition Leader
This thing does rock! But those 3 lights on the roof look to small, to cheap and should be on the lower section. My thoughts anyway...one Eugene guy to another Eugene guy. O they need brush guards too.:coffeedrink:

sarconcepts

Adventurer
The front light size & spacing was somewhat determined by the 3 original uhaul light holes (remember, this was once a uhaul)
uhaul 007.jpg
it would have been much easier to mount them on the lower section of the cabover, & not have to run the wires up the lifting pipes, but the holes were up on the top. The original hole spacing determined their size, any bigger & they would be hitting each other, or any farther apart, & the holes wouldn't have been covered,
I don't mind working with what I've got, nor do I mind their size, they throw plenty of light. I think there'll be plenty to look at when it's done, & I don't think anyone will question if it's four wheel drive or not!

bobDog

Expedition Leader
The front light size & spacing was somewhat determined by the 3 original uhaul light holes (remember, this was once a uhaul)
View attachment 54296
it would have been much easier to mount them on the lower section of the cabover, & not have to run the wires up the lifting pipes, but the holes were up on the top. The original hole spacing determined their size, any bigger & they would be hitting each other, or any farther apart, & the holes wouldn't have been covered,
I don't mind working with what I've got, nor do I mind their size, they throw plenty of light. I think there'll be plenty to look at when it's done, & I don't think anyone will question if it's four wheel drive or not!
could have put clearance lights there.....???:coffeedrink:

sarconcepts

Adventurer
all the cabinets, hardware installed ready for installation into place this weekend, propane lines run (not by me), plumbing fittings tomorrow, plenty of stainless screws & nuts, Bethany excited.. ...
...ohh yeah, it'll be a good weekend!
re-assembly 008.jpgre-assembly 010.jpgre-assembly 016.jpgre-assembly 018.jpg
(all this into a 7' x7' space)!
www.bulletxv.wordpress.com

sarconcepts

Adventurer
I mentioned back two years ago, when I started this project, that at that time, the last auto work I'd done was back in 1984, fixing whatever broke on my 1971 ford maverick. I build things all the time, but the trick to building really exceptional things, is to do what you're good at, & let others do what they're better at. I don't mind a learning curve, but propane isn't one thing I wanted to 'learn' with. Plus I didn't know much about regulators or back stop devices etc.
All in all it was a small step that gives me confidence to install the cabinets around the piping (copper) & not fear I'll have to remove it at some point.

Reading around here I feel pretty 'green' seeing just how much knowledge is on a forum-just a random mix of people, it amazes me. My best skill is figuring out how to make complicated things, with simple tools & techniques- I bought a Uhaul after all!
I know my limits, or my comfort zone

pods8

Explorer
Fair enough but if you're working in copper tubing propane is fairly easy, in my mind. I did a little rework on my FWC hawk. The tube bends pretty easy and the end makeups are fairly easy also. You just need to flare out the tube ends (Inexpensive tool here: http://www.harborfreight.com/7-piece-tube-flaring-kit-5969.html). The dual stage regulators are cheap/common as well. I was just mentioning it so you didn't need to unnecessarily hire out that part of the job. But whatever you're comfortable with, roll with it and keep the progress going! :)

bobDog

Expedition Leader
I mentioned back two years ago, when I started this project, that at that time, the last auto work I'd done was back in 1984, fixing whatever broke on my 1971 ford maverick. I build things all the time, but the trick to building really exceptional things, is to do what you're good at, & let others do what they're better at. I don't mind a learning curve, but propane isn't one thing I wanted to 'learn' with. Plus I didn't know much about regulators or back stop devices etc.
All in all it was a small step that gives me confidence to install the cabinets around the piping (copper) & not fear I'll have to remove it at some point.

Reading around here I feel pretty 'green' seeing just how much knowledge is on a forum-just a random mix of people, it amazes me. My best skill is figuring out how to make complicated things, with simple tools & techniques- I bought a Uhaul after all!
I know my limits, or my comfort zone
hehehe....you wouldn't live on that hill if you couldn't solve problems!!!! on a black ice night how do you get the groceries home? Yeah I lived one block down for 3 years....whoa problem solving is a biggey.:coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior