Who has removed their backseats in a crew cab?

adrenaline503

Explorer
Hello,

I have been considering removing the rear seats from my Nissan Frontier crew cab. I very rarely have any passengers. I do however have a very floppy dog that can't figure how out to just relax on the rear bench seat and enjoy the ride. Pulling the seat looks easy enough and a simple platform and back panel should suffice. As usual I am hoping to learn from someone's else experience.

mcgovski

Adventurer
I have a 3500 Dodge CTD HD that I removed the rear seat from for my Dogs. I just built a 2x4 and ply wood platform and made a pad to fit out of some thick high density foam and a cover out of some ripstop material from the surplus store. The dogs can chill out completely and they are lower, before if I had to hit the brakes, the dogs would get lurched forward. There is still enough room for access underneath the platform on both sides. I have some chains, some tools, and some other stuff for easy access. Its great! The dogs are way stoked and much safer.

good luck

angusdevil

Adventurer
I removed them out of my Dodge 04 1500 and 05 2500. Here is the platform I made. It's just a piece of 3/4" MDF covered in Herculiner. I put a strip of MDF lip around it to help keep things in place. Also installed are 4 tiedown loops. Underneath, I just put 2 2x4 feet to help support the front end of it. It's held in place with the 4 back seat bolts. So far, I haven't had a single problem and the herculiner is holding up great!

DSCN0222.JPG

IMG_2922.jpg

milo12

Adventurer
I have an 08 3500 Dodge and I also removed the back seat for my dogs. Lots more space for them to get comfortable. A couple things I found to watch for. The bolts holding the seat go through the floor. You need to plug the holes or water can get in. Another more serious problem is the increased noise in the cab. I need to do something to the back wall to add soundproofing.

gearbox

Adventurer
Jeebus, the first 3 responses are 4 Dodge trucks without rear seats! I ought to start a seat removal business right next to Folsom Lake Dodge!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
removing mine in my Taco D/C this month. Fitting an Engel, platform for the dog, ect. So can't show pics yet but later this month I can!

strider3700

Adventurer
Not judging I'm just curious, why have a crewcab if you don't need/want the rear seats? I spent ages before finding a crewcab I could afford, I needed it to pack the kids is the only reason I wanted one.

jcbrandon

Explorer
...why have a crew cab if you don't need/want the rear seats? ...

Secure, weatherproof, accessible space. I've got a 2007 crew cab Power Wagon. The rear seats fold up and out of the way leaving a flat load floor with storage space underneath. I usually leave the seats folded up and have a fridge and dog bed in the back. I sacrifice the small amount of space the folded seats require in exchange for the few times that I do need a rear seat.

GTABurnout

Explorer
My Tundra has a 60 40 split back there so I removed the 60 part leaving me with tons of rommfor the dogs or for the girlfriend to streach out on long trips. I left the 40 part in since it folds up and its a perfect 3rd seat when I need one....

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Rear seat is removed on my Tacoma and replaced with a fridge platform. Oddly enough, I can't seem to find any pics. If I dig some up I will post them.

Pete

angusdevil

Adventurer
I pulled mine out for multiple reasons...

1) I only need the front seats for me and my girl.
2) I can keep my tools in the cab.
3) I have another platform on top of that that I can sleep on if I want.
4) It's great for keeping camping gear in the truck and leaving the bed open for firewood, tires, jerry cans etc etc.
5) Easy access to the coolers.

milo12

Adventurer
Same reasons as angus devil and I have no kids and two dogs. The extra space is very useful and convenient. No way I would own a regular cab truck.

Kilroy

Adventurer
Another Dodge

Removed the smaller part of the split bench seat in my Ram, put in a plywood bed and installed an Engle slide mount. With the other half of the bench folded up and the flat storage thing folded out, put a dog bed on it and have two 80 lb dogs sharing. Would be more space with the other seat out too, but need to have other passengers occasionally. Have totally pulled rear seats from my crew cab Tundra. Makes for a lot of storage, or dog bed.

angusdevil

Adventurer
Removed the smaller part of the split bench seat in my Ram, put in a plywood bed and installed an Engle slide mount. With the other half of the bench folded up and the flat storage thing folded out, put a dog bed on it and have two 80 lb dogs sharing. Would be more space with the other seat out too, but need to have other passengers occasionally. Have totally pulled rear seats from my crew cab Tundra. Makes for a lot of storage, or dog bed.

You have a pic? Was kinda thinking of doing the same with mine.

JRH_PowerWagon_06

Secure, weatherproof, accessible space. I've got a 2007 crew cab Power Wagon. The rear seats fold up and out of the way leaving a flat load floor with storage space underneath. I usually leave the seats folded up and have a fridge and dog bed in the back. I sacrifice the small amount of space the folded seats require in exchange for the few times that I do need a rear seat.
X2
I have the same setup. Minus fridge.
:wavey:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior