advice on what BMW GS bike to start out with

805gregg

Adventurer
Skip the high priced high maintance bikes get a Suzuki V-Strom 650 or 1000. The 650 will cruise all day long with 2 people at 85 and do any fire road you can do 2 up. I rode up to Reno for a V-Strom rally with a guy on his 650 he had no trouble keeping up with me on my 1000 and after the rally his wife flew in and they went 2 up to Alaska. This bike is becoming the unsung hero of long distance bikes. They just don't break and if they do there is a dealer on every corner.

zolo

Explorer
Well all this advice has been greatly appreciated.
Everyone seems to have an opnion and has given solid advice.
I rode a few bikes, prices a few bikes, looked Japanese bikes, German bikes.

I did not however look at the KTMs for my own reasons. One they are a bit taller than the GS, and they seem to be a bit harder to work on at home. Thats just an opnion if you have one, then great and dont bombard me!!!! Please...
So anyhow I found a good deal on a 2006 R1200GS with, head guards, luggage and driving and fog lights already to go. ABS heated grips it a nice bike and I rode it home today.
Any further advice on what to expect or whats to come I would appreciate.
Thanks

Attachments

• 1120091348[1].jpg
    1120091348[1].jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 79

805gregg

Adventurer
Buy a spare final drive. I have a friend that had a 1150RT he carried a spare drive one on long trips. He sold the RT and bought a V.

trailsurfer

Explorer

I did not however look at the KTMs for my own reasons. One they are a bit taller than the GS, and they seem to be a bit harder to work on at home. Thats just an opnion if you have one, then great and dont bombard me!!!! Please...
So anyhow I found a good deal on a 2006 R1200GS with, head guards, luggage and driving and fog lights already to go. ABS heated grips it a nice bike and I rode it home today.
Thanks

Great choice. And a beautiful bike.

zolo

Explorer
Great choice. And a beautiful bike.

Thank you.....
It rides really nice. Im happy with it. Im going to change a few things to make it "mine". But for the most part it is set up really well.

Think Im going to put a GSA fairing on it, the bigger one to mine, as well as a upper fender rim guard.
Eventually get the top case. Try and get it ready and get enough time on it for a longer trip in the spring. I hope to ride it every day that I can.

I will try and post up some more pics here soon

Adventurerider

Adventurer
Good Luck, Great Choice, you can't go wrong with a Beemer for your intro to Adventure world! Just remember, buy the best gear you can, because it may end up saving your life, besides it comes with you on your journey from place to place from bike to bike, it will become an old friend!

Ride Safe & Enjoy!!

zolo

Explorer
Hey Thanks,
I know what you mean about the riding gear.
I plan on getting some new peices.
I have some very nice Dainese leathers from my sport bike days and They have done there job.
So I will be exploring my options for ADV. Touring gear. There seems to be even more options and opinions for this type of riding gear than in the sport bike world.
Hard to know where to start.
Thats my next bit of research

Lygriek

Thanks

Very Cool Bike. If it hasn't had the brake system flushed in the past year you may want to have it looked at. That year with ABS should be the Servo-Boosted system and it is very sensitive to dirty old brake fluid. Not that its a bad system just needs to be well maintained to ensure longevity. If its never been changed, they sometimes have problems when performing the flush this late in the game. That servo control unit is big $$. And unless you have done a flush on one of these before you REALLY want someone who has, and has the tools do it or help you do it.

Also, the GSA fairing, I assume you mean the windshield. There are better, less expensive aftermarket ones available that wont scratch as easily, Ztechnik is a good brand.

You will be amazed how well the R12GS performs.

Enjoy the road!

zolo

Explorer
Very Cool Bike. If it hasn't had the brake system flushed in the past year you may want to have it looked at. That year with ABS should be the Servo-Boosted system and it is very sensitive to dirty old brake fluid. Not that its a bad system just needs to be well maintained to ensure longevity. If its never been changed, they sometimes have problems when performing the flush this late in the game. That servo control unit is big $$. And unless you have done a flush on one of these before you REALLY want someone who has, and has the tools do it or help you do it.

Also, the GSA fairing, I assume you mean the windshield. There are better, less expensive aftermarket ones available that wont scratch as easily, Ztechnik is a good brand.

You will be amazed how well the R12GS performs.

Thanks you for the advice. When I bought it the 48000mile service had just been done. I will be sure to ask if that included the brake flush.

As for the windshield, when I bought it the dealer told me he had an adventure shield that I could have off a totaled bike. So I was going to take him up on that offer.

As for the performace. Ive riden it every day and it is awesome, very comfortable and a ton of torque. Im very pleased with it so far. Ive done some two up on it and it is just perfect for that. Looking forward to many more miles. as well as meeting some fellow riders.

zolo

Explorer
a few more pics

so here are a few more pics of the new to me GS.

Attachments

• 1120091349.jpg
    1120091349.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 1119091334.jpg
    1119091334.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 1128090905.jpg
    1128090905.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 50

zolo

Explorer
This is my old fathfull tho, I have to give my respect to my expo truck as well.
Its been there from the start.

Now the GS will give it a break and take on the new adventures with me.

Attachments

• 1106091313.jpg
    1106091313.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 38

advnirvana

Observer
Congrats on your new (to you) bike.

You can't go wrong with the BMW R1200 series.

It looks like the bike is pretty well setup, so I would concentrate on your gear. I know you probably already know that...
My suggestions:
- helmet (I have an Arai Xd Dual Sport)
- suit with liners for different weather conditions (my choice Rev'it Cayenne Pro). There are some other good ones like Olympia etc..
- boots and gloves (went with BMW's Santiago. Great boot for the price)

It will be the best investment you will ever make. You will appreciate it when you have been riding in the rain for a couple of days in the near zero temps (like I did this summer from Alaska).:bike_rider:

Ride safe and enjoy...

Andy
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1994 Defender 90 NAS
www.2wheelescape.com

zolo

Explorer
Congrats on your new (to you) bike.

You can't go wrong with the BMW R1200 series.

It looks like the bike is pretty well setup, so I would concentrate on your gear. I know you probably already know that...
My suggestions:
- helmet (I have an Arai Xd Dual Sport)
- suit with liners for different weather conditions (my choice Rev'it Cayenne Pro). There are some other good ones like Olympia etc..
- boots and gloves (went with BMW's Santiago. Great boot for the price)

It will be the best investment you will ever make. You will appreciate it when you have been riding in the rain for a couple of days in the near zero temps (like I did this summer from Alaska).:bike_rider:

Ride safe and enjoy...

Andy
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1994 Defender 90 NAS
www.2wheelescape.com

Well I have a few nice pieces from my last bike.
But I did buy a multi liner Frank Thomas jacket. Its very nice.
I have a comfy and light Suomy helmet,
as well as Sidi boots.......and Dainese gloves.
All im missing is a pair of pants.

Also considering some heated clothes. For this winter. being in GA its always right on the edge of being to cold or just warm enough to ride.

I will post up after my first good ride in the mountians.
Test it all out.

zolo

Explorer
advice on long distance

any advice for improvments to my 06 GS1200 for long distance travel would be a great help.
I plan on taking a cross country trip in the late spring from GA to ID, going to visite my older brother in Swan Valley ID
Id like to get the bike as comfortable and travel ready as possible.

Im looking at things like wider foot pegs and a new windshield, as well as a decent size top box....

Thanks,

I posted this up in ADVRIDER.COM as well trying to get some opinions and advice on good parts, where to put my money and time first.

advnirvana

Observer
Upgrade your seat or get a cushion like AirHawk.
AirHawk and Alaska Leather cover are two of the best things I have purchased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94