advice on what BMW GS bike to start out with

zolo

Explorer
Im wanting to get a BMW GS dual sport. {I know thats redundant}
I Went looking and have considered the
F800GS, Im wondering if the 1200GS is to big a bike to start out with as an adventure touring bike for on and off road.

I like the boxer engine and shaft drive of the 1200, but Im ok with the V-twin chain drive of the F model bike.
What to do?
Is the 1200GS to much to start out with?
Will the 800 be good for gear and two people?
Any advice would be great.
Ive owned a 1200 before just never and on off road adventure bike such as the GS

alosix

Expedition Leader
there are def much more knowledgeable people on here than man (goodtimes) but I'll throw in my 0.02 (though, I guess given the devaluation of the dollar lately I should throw in 0.05 just to make sure I have the same impact :) )

This might come down to how much technical you'd want to get on the trails with the bike. The heavier R1200 seems popular with the 2up crowd, but it might be a little hard to tackle the TAT with it.

new F650GS and F800GS are both 792cc parallel twins

zolo

Explorer
Isn't the F800 a parallel twin?

UMMM I could be wrong?
But I dont think its a boxer/parallel motor.
I was just at the dealer testerday and have the info and it just says twin cylinder. Pretty sure it a v-twin chain drive bike.

So what do you think though....1200 or 800? With two people and gear

zolo

Explorer
there are def much more knowledgeable people on here than man (goodtimes) but I'll throw in my 0.02 (though, I guess given the devaluation of the dollar lately I should throw in 0.05 just to make sure I have the same impact :) )

This might come down to how much technical you'd want to get on the trails with the bike. The heavier R1200 seems popular with the 2up crowd, but it might be a little hard to tackle the TAT with it.

new F650GS and F800GS are both 792cc parallel twins

Ok so the boxer motor of the 1200 is not the same as a Parallel?
this is all new to me

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Will this be your first dual sport bike or first bike to be used on the dirt or just your first BMW?

Can you give an idea of what type of riding you intend to do? Describe an ideal dual sport day or trip for you.

As with som many things, trucks, bikes boats, the intended use is key in determining which to use.

Regards,
Brian

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
You've ridden before, so it isn't like you're looking at a 1200GS as you *first* bike. So, IMO, it all depends on what you want to do.

If I were looking for a mellow "highway / fire road bike", the 1200GS would be my choice. If I were looking for a more aggressive "street / unmaintained dirt road" bike, I would be on an 800GS (oh, wait . . . I am).

The 800 is a little lighter, certainly narrower (at the engine, not the bars), has the traditional fork front suspension (the 1200 uses the para-lever (?) front end -- which is not the best when the going gets rough), and the 800 doesn't hurt the wallet as much when it falls down (considerably smaller price tag) . . . but the 1200 has an extra 15hp, I believe it will carrier a heavier load, and most seem to find it more comfortable for the longer rides. Of course, neither one of them are 'dirt bikes', by any stretch of the imagination.

I wish I had the $$$ to have one of each . . .

Oh, the F800GS and the F650GS are parallel twins. The G650GS is the Rotax single (same as the pre 2008 F650GS). The R1200GS is the horizontally opposed twin . . .

Last edited:

zolo

Explorer
Will this be your first dual sport bike or first bike to be used on the dirt or just your first BMW?

Can you give an idea of what type of riding you intend to do? Describe an ideal dual sport day or trip for you.

As with som many things, trucks, bikes boats, the intended use is key in determining which to use.

Regards,
Brian

JUst mt First BMW.
4th bike.
Id like to take some longer trips multi-day with it.
But as a day trip it would be likely 5 to 8 hrs with paved, but as many FS roads as possible. Id like to try and be able to ride it as many months out of the year as I can. Im in GA so that is almost all 12.

zolo

Explorer
I guess what im trying to find out is will the 800 be ok with two people and gear or will I have to go with the 1200?

I like them both I just want to make sure the 800 would be ok for all that weight and how will the power would be for that weight and long distance on gravel and dirt roads?

trailsurfer

Explorer
I have a 1200 GSA and I have ridden the 800 quite a bit. I love both bikes. But, if I was riding two up, doing multiple day trips, and the dirt was going to be fire service roads, I think I would go with the 1200. It will be more comfortable, and it will do everything that you want it to do on the dirt.

I am not what you would call a great off road rider. And I have yet to encounter a mountain pass/4 wheel drive road here in CO that I can't ride on my GS. But, I have been avoiding a few of the tougher ones, so as not ruin my perfect record.:victory:

Have fun with the selection, they are both fantastic bikes.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I guess what im trying to find out is will the 800 be ok with two people and gear or will I have to go with the 1200?

I like them both I just want to make sure the 800 would be ok for all that weight and how will the power would be for that weight and long distance on gravel and dirt roads?

Personally, I think the 800 is a bit small for loaded 2-up riding. My view may be a bit skewed, as I'm a certified 'loner' who has a pretty large 'personal space'. I find the 800GS to be just about right for one-up riding. I wouldn't want to spend multiple days with a pillion on it . . .

trailsurfer

Explorer
Personally, I think the 800 is a bit small for loaded 2-up riding. My view may be a bit skewed, as I'm a certified 'loner' who has a pretty large 'personal space'. I find the 800GS to be just about right for one-up riding. I wouldn't want to spend multiple days with a pillion on it . . .

I agree, for two up, go with the 1200. Take a hard look at the GSA with adjustable suspension. I had a 2007, 1200 without it, and then upgraded last fall to the 1200 GSA, and I think the adjustable suspension is the cats meow. Especially when you are going to be riding two up.

Adventurerider

Adventurer
I have owned a lot of BMW's, all the GS line including the XP2 (with supermoto kit), and I would say to check out the KTM's as well, how much road riding are you plaining on doing? If it's mostly going to be "on road" with a little "off road" then a BMW is a great choice. But if your really going to get out there and ride off road (jeep trails, signal track, heck just dirt road's), then there is little compairison to a KTM or even the New Beta (50 state legal).
Just another opinion and we all know how those are :bike_rider: either way just get out there and have a great time using whichever bike you buy because most likely it wont be your last ADV cycle, no matter how much research you do! One last thing, make sure you invest in good riding gear & setting up your suspension for your weight & riding level, best money sent bar none!!!
Cheers and I hope to see out on the trail!!
Jamie (Advrider)

Last edited:

Oni

Adventurer
I second Jamie's advice. If you plan on doing a lot of off road...consider the KTM 950-990 Adventures. I ride with a bunch of guys with 950 Adventures and they go many places I would not expect a big bike to go! :bike_rider:

For mostly street and maybe some forestry type roads, the 1200 will be fine. Consider dropping it though. We had a fully farkled 1200A on a ride and he dropped it on a small rock shelf and it ended up with the top of the bike facing downhill. It took about 5 of us to help right the thing.

Not saying a KTM 950 is light...but that Beemer was HEAVY! :Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz